Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

03 accord ex v6 power steering

Old 04-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 accord ex v6 power steering

so my accord ex v6 has a power steering leak b.c i noticed there is less and less fluid every week i check. i have a few questions
1) could it be leaking out of the pump?
2) is it worth replacing the pump?
3) or should i just pour in some autozone stuff make stop leaks? if so what should i use? thanks in advance
Old 04-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 03 accord ex v6 power steering

1. The leak may be from one of several o-rings/seals on the power steering pump or from a hose or fitting. Some of the o-rings are relatively easy to replace.

2. Before you go replacing the pump, you need to identify where it is leaking from; e.g., pump o-ring, hose fitting, hose, etc. (Try cleaning up any wet areas, and start the car and see where it may be leaking from.)

3. Depending on where the leak is, power steering stop leak (e.g., Lucas) may not work. I tried it before on my previous older Honda and it didn't do anything from my experience. Since your car is not that old, I wouldn't even recommend it, and say to fix wherever the problem is. Hondas generally needs to use Honda brand power steering fluid or a compatible brand, the fluid run through more than just the pump and hoses.

I included a TSB regarding the inlet o-ring, and several images showing the system and pump.
Attached Images     
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
A07-086.pdf (170.1 KB, 33346 views)
Old 01-25-2010, 11:34 AM
New User

Originally Posted by redbull-1
1. The leak may be from one of several o-rings/seals on the power steering pump or from a hose or fitting. Some of the o-rings are relatively easy to replace.

2. Before you go replacing the pump, you need to identify where it is leaking from; e.g., pump o-ring, hose fitting, hose, etc. (Try cleaning up any wet areas, and start the car and see where it may be leaking from.)

3. Depending on where the leak is, power steering stop leak (e.g., Lucas) may not work. I tried it before on my previous older Honda and it didn't do anything from my experience. Since your car is not that old, I wouldn't even recommend it, and say to fix wherever the problem is. Hondas generally needs to use Honda brand power steering fluid or a compatible brand, the fluid run through more than just the pump and hoses.

I included a TSB regarding the inlet o-ring, and several images showing the system and pump.
After reading a number of posts I decided to try tightening the power steering inlet bolt. You need a 10mm wrench. The bolt is located under the inlet hose on the right side of the pump, behind the pulley. You may have to move the electrical cable which gets in the way of the wrench.

One I got the wrench on I lifted it and it turned about 1/16 of a turn. Started the engine and the whine went away.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hystar
After reading a number of posts I decided to try tightening the power steering inlet bolt. You need a 10mm wrench. The bolt is located under the inlet hose on the right side of the pump, behind the pulley. You may have to move the electrical cable which gets in the way of the wrench.

One I got the wrench on I lifted it and it turned about 1/16 of a turn. Started the engine and the whine went away.
I would replace the inlet o-ring. They turn brittle and square up like distributor o-rings do.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is this case applies for the 2004 2.4 accord, cos i have the same problem in my car, oil loss & the strange noise from the pump????

if yes, please tell me ...
Old 01-26-2010, 01:16 PM
New User

Originally Posted by tuned2
I would replace the inlet o-ring. They turn brittle and square up like distributor o-rings do.
i have a 2003 honda accord v6 4 door. i had a whine or moan noise comming from my power steering pump. i replace the o-ring on the high pressure power steering hose, located right on top of the power steering pump. there are two 10mm bolts that you take off. take off old o-ring. get new o-ring put some fluid on it, and reinstall. turn car on...will make noise for a bit till fluid gets into hose..then noise virtually gone. the parts was like under $1.00 at the dealer. part # 91345-RDA-A01. make sure if you leak out fluid, you replace whats needed. this car uses special fluid. i purchase one at the dealer too, but didnt even use it. every thing costed under $6.00.
i took the advise from someone on this forum. thanks. i have to replace my motor mounts (front and rear) they are in bad shape. any tips would be apprieciated
Old 03-08-2010, 02:24 PM
TRIAL USER

I have the same problem and am trying to replace this o ring. The problem is I cant seem to find a wrench or socket that will give me enough room to loosen the bolt. Any suggestions
Old 03-10-2010, 04:11 PM
TRIAL USER

My leak was found from power steering pump hoses, so it was replaced. Due to my tranny issue, I did not pick up my car back yet.

My Honda freak friend says steering pump noise only need to replace valve to save bundle of money like $20 or so instead of going to dealer to get new replacement cost several hundred $$ just from part and additional 5hr. labor for installing the pump.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Zero400
My leak was found from power steering pump hoses, so it was replaced. Due to my tranny issue, I did not pick up my car back yet.

My Honda freak friend says steering pump noise only need to replace valve to save bundle of money like $20 or so instead of going to dealer to get new replacement cost several hundred $$ just from part and additional 5hr. labor for installing the pump.
On a recent "free" checkup at a local dealer, they noted that the short power steering hose between the PS reservoir and the Power steering pump was leaking and needed to be replaced at a cost of $440. This seems outrageously high however it was explained to me that it was very difficult to do and required removal of the power steering pump among other things.

Last edited by archebald23; 08-09-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by archebald23
On a recent "free" checkup at a local dealer, they noted that the short power steering hose between the PS reservoir and the Power steering pump was leaking and needed to be replaced at a cost of $440. This seems outrageously high however it was explained to me that it was very difficult to do and required removal of the power steering pump among other things.
$440? To replace the return hose? I think you were mugged. You don't have to remove the pump, to change that hose. "Free" checkup? That's funny.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey its good to know about this sketch diagram.Thanks for sharing it with us.Really you have explained it very nicely and in detail.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Trial User

is the original problem fluid leaking and a whine? does the whine occur when turning the steering wheel? my problem is that i have good level of fluid in there, it is between low and high but it makes this whine. any help? which ring should i replace?
Old 12-23-2010, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whine you hear (more prevelant at start up and cold temps), is from air getting into the pump from the inlet o-ring. Honda has redesigned the o-ring (it's orange in color) and this has solved the majority of the problems we see. I would buy the o-ring, flush the fluid and you're probably good to go. Happy Holidays!!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does anyone have any tips or tricks on replacing the high pressure line that goes from the top of the pump to the steering rack?? because it looks like the fitting around that hose is leaking on my car and i wanna replace it before it gets any worse.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:05 PM
mss
Trial User

I have an 05 Accord that whines when it's cold and has leaked some power steering fluid. The dealership topped off the fluid and states that the Rack and Pinion must be replaced which costs $1100. This seems excessive for a leak? Any other fixes? Only 88,000 miles and no other issues.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by redbull-1

Old 09-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Trial User

I am new here, but wanna thank all of you for the post on replacing o ring on power steering pump for 03 accord ex v6. See I believe in if something csn be fixed dont replace it. Today I went to the dealer and bought the new o ring because was getting moaning groan in cold weather. All spring and summer had no noise but here in NJ its staring to be cold in the am and I heard it again for the first time in months. Using the diagram on here i did the job, I hope it fixed the problem, know the other thing is I have a leak at on the driver side rack and pinion boot but no fluid has had to be added in months. Is replacing the boot dificult?????????????Keep up the good posts everyone!!!
Old 09-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joe zygmont
does anyone have any tips or tricks on replacing the high pressure line that goes from the top of the pump to the steering rack?? because it looks like the fitting around that hose is leaking on my car and i wanna replace it before it gets any worse.
Well undo the fittings at both ends of the line, then remove the to clamps holding the line to the subframe. Do not forget to unplug the power steering psi switch on the hose( this will be a green connector on the pass side). Now you can bend the metal line up and slide it out from under the rear engine mount. It takes some wiggling but it will come out. Same for putting it back in just don't bend the crap out of the new line. Hope it goes well for you.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Trial User

I have a 2003 Honda Accord 4cyl with over 280,000 miles. The power steering just started to moan and when I turn off the vehicle, foamy power steering fluid overflows out the cap of the fill reservoir. Is this caused by an O-ring needing replacing or do I need to replace the pump itself? or any other components?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Redbull,

I took the time to register in order to post my thank you as my 03 Accord needs the o-ring replaced. Whew, I almost had a HUGE bill. I'm pretty sure they would have suggested I replace the PS pump to rid myself of the cold weather whine.

Thanks again Redbull.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:16 AM
Trial User

Thanks so much! this is really helpful. I have the same whine, but it does not stop once the car warms up. Could that be the pump going bad? The local Honda dealer replaced the pump and the high pressure lines about 18 months ago... and now it's making the noise again.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Trial User

Hello All,

I realize this is a stale thread but thought I'd give it a shot...

I replaced the o-ring to the intake hose to my power steering pump a while back after I got the whining/grinding sound typical of the original o ring (which was recalled) and all has been well for a while. Today I noticed some smoke coming out of the engine, pulled over, and had a look. It appears fluid is leaking from my high pressure hose in the back, deep in the engine cavity and some is dripping on the back end of the engine, causing the smoke.

a few questions:
(1) is this a fire hazard?

(2) how much does it cost (what's a reasonable price) to get a new high pressure hose installed parts and labor? (i think the project is too big for me... don't have time)

(3) how long can I go just topping off the fluid without screwing anything up big time?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Global Moderator

Received 419 Likes on 389 Posts

There was a safety recall. There's an updated power steering feed hose kit.

"Call any authorized Honda dealer and make an
appointment to have your vehicle repaired at no cost to
you. The dealer will replace the power steering hose
even if the hose was previously replaced. The
complete replacement process may take
approximately 72 minutes; however, your vehicle will
need to be at the dealer for a longer period of time."
Old 10-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It also depends on if it is a V6 or a 4Cylinder, only the V6 are covered. I would recommend getting it changed out as soon as possible. If I is not covered under warranty it will more than likely cost you at least $400 or more...
Old 10-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As mentioned, there is a recall on the pressure hose, and Honda dealers will replace that hose free of charge (V6 models only I believe). The o-ring on the inlet hose is a different issue, which causes the moan or whine sound. It is an easy fix, with the new orange o-ring. I used a 10mm box end wrench to loosen the bolt on the inlet fitting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 accord ex v6 power steering