Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Adding s300 to JRSC Prelude

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding s300 to JRSC Prelude

Not sure where to put this question. I am considering adding a Hondata s300 ecu to my 2000 non sh Prelude. Currently running a JRSC with the Jackson emu. What do I need to change or add in order to run the s300?

Any idea what roughly would be the hp/torque gains?

uncledan
Old 06-18-2009, 09:47 AM
New User

Default Re: Adding s300 to JRSC Prelude

i'm no really familiar with supercharging but im pretty sure you'd just have to swap out to a chipped ecu with s300. but from what i've heard from other people that did it, they were so much happier with it than the jackson racing tune.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What injectors are you running? Running the jackson FMU?
You'd need a harness like this http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Me...ode=OBDHARNESS
and a chipped P28 ECU. Then an hour or two on a dyno for tuning. I may be forgetting something, I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

-P28/P72 Ecu with s300
-Larger injectors 440cc or above
-Conversion harness for injectors
-OBDII to ODB1 Ecu Harness
-Toss out the JRSC EMU and FPR

I had mugen header/mugen exhaust 2.5in all the way with high flow cat and 22" resonator. Put out roughly 250whp/232tq at 9lbs before heatsoak with restriction as well. Planning to do an open header to see how much difference its going to make. But if you like check out my specs on July's issue of Honda-tuning mag, finally got a feature
Old 06-19-2009, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the replies. Would the P28 ecu that hondata sells with the built in adapter for 0bd2a work without the need for an adapter harness?

Also, are there smaller blower pulleys available for the prelude jrsc? Is there any other way to increase boost, like a larger crank pulley? Or larger drive pulley for that lousy little belt that drives the blower?

uncledan

Last edited by uncledan; 06-19-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by 01 LudeDude
What injectors are you running? Running the jackson FMU?
You'd need a harness like this http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Me...ode=OBDHARNESS
and a chipped P28 ECU. Then an hour or two on a dyno for tuning. I may be forgetting something, I'm sure others will chime in.

From what I have been able to gather. I will need
s300 chipped ecu
harness
remove the jrsc afpr
remove the jrsc fmu
larger injectors, I have rc 550's to use with clips
wideband 02 sensor, I am planning on using a plx a/f sensor module and bosch 02 sensor

Hondata lists the 2000 Prelude as an 0bd2a type of ecu.

Does that sound right?

Last edited by uncledan; 06-19-2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added sentence
Old 06-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can either trust Hondata that it's an OBD2A, or pull the ECU and match the plugs to the pics on the Hondata site to be sure.

I can't remember, but I believe you have to swap distributors when you convert to OBD1, you might want to research that a bit.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ludeboi121
-P28/P72 Ecu with s300
-Larger injectors 440cc or above
-Conversion harness for injectors
-OBDII to ODB1 Ecu Harness
-Toss out the JRSC EMU and FPR

I had mugen header/mugen exhaust 2.5in all the way with high flow cat and 22" resonator. Put out roughly 250whp/232tq at 9lbs before heatsoak with restriction as well. Planning to do an open header to see how much difference its going to make. But if you like check out my specs on July's issue of Honda-tuning mag, finally got a feature
That was you? Cool.....
Isn't the MUGEN exhaust 60mm/2.36"? That was the 1st thing that came to mind when I read the feature. Power is a little low, but WOW I'd love to see a HyTech header and 3" exhaust on there! I bet there's 20-40whp there!
Why don't you look into the Electronic "Y" pipe that BlackTrax sells? You should be able to run 2 maps for it open/closed.

I do have a question though? How do you even get traction with street tires? You should be running Drag Radials.

I wouldn't count on MASSIVE Gains from the Hondata, but the car will run smoother and safer...
Old 06-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ bingo i had my mugen header and exhaust cut and customized to 2.5in piping. Restriction is still pretty bad due to my hi-flow cat, resonator and mugen exhaust loop, but i am looking into the electronic y-pipe as you have said to run open header. Shawn from churches tuned the car, as we both knew with a better flowing system i will gain at least 20whps clearing up most of the restrictions I currently have.

Lets just say i will be getting some drags soon, street tires definitely wont get the job done, but will still get me from location A to B haha.

As far as my list goes,

Cooling Mist Water Injection
Electronic Y-Pipe
Traction Bar
JRSC inlet port to match TB
Porting Intake Manifold Runners
Old 06-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess it seemed strange too considering how high the dyno at Church's reads.....
Old 06-19-2009, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by 01 LudeDude
You can either trust Hondata that it's an OBD2A, or pull the ECU and match the plugs to the pics on the Hondata site to be sure.

I can't remember, but I believe you have to swap distributors when you convert to OBD1, you might want to research that a bit.
I have already researched the distributor question. The answer is some need to be changed, some don't. Won't know until I try. If anyone knows different, please correct me.

uncledan
Old 06-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you do not need to change the distributor if you are planning to run a obdII to obdI ecu harness. I'm currently running obdII to obdI conversion harness w/ p28 + hondata s300. no problems at all. I do recommend getting larger injectors (saturated so you dont need resistor box) and copper sparkplugs.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

all the info in here is correct so far, but one thing wasn't fully answered; the power gains you can see from tuning.
here's a dyno chart of a 2001 jrsc type SH prelude i tuned with a greddy emanage ultimate. the customer wanted to keep the ATTS, hence the use of the ultimate.
dotted line is with the stock injectors and jrsc fmu and piggyback ecu. solid line is with adj cam gears with the ex cam at 0 and the intake cam at -2, rc 440cc injectors, emanage ultimate, and boomslang plug-n-play emanage ultimate harness. (keep in mind s300 could probably do a hair better) (also keep in mind the jrsc fmu run was before heatsoaked, and the emanage run was heatsoaked from the tuning session)

tq is blue, whp is green

blue is boost, green is afr. notice how the boost curve with the emanage setup is the same but slightly shifted to the left, that is because of the intake cam gear being retarded 2 degrees, making the engine more efficient at slight higher rpms, which uses up the manifold pressure differently altering the actual pressure curve.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

P.S. i'm a hondata dealer and a boomslang dealer, and my reputation with my ecu work can be found easily on preludepower.com
feel free to pm me anytime if interested in buying everything from me. i do package deals if buying everything at the same time; conversion harness, and complete ecu with s300 fully installed and ready to go with a custom basemap already programmed to it and emailed to you, and the connection cable and software cd that come with the s300 kit

~Steve
Old 06-20-2009, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by ludeboi121
you do not need to change the distributor if you are planning to run a obdII to obdI ecu harness. I'm currently running obdII to obdI conversion harness w/ p28 + hondata s300. no problems at all. I do recommend getting larger injectors (saturated so you dont need resistor box) and copper sparkplugs.
What I am considering is the Hondata modified p28 with the obd2a connector built in. This unit plugs directly into the existing harness without an adapter harness. Would I be able to keep the distributor with this setup?
Old 06-21-2009, 09:22 AM

How are you guys making almost 9 psi of boost on a jrsc? Is that the norm? I thought it was closer to 5 psi.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Change pulley.

Nicely done motoxxxman.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by uncledan
What I am considering is the Hondata modified p28 with the obd2a connector built in. This unit plugs directly into the existing harness without an adapter harness. Would I be able to keep the distributor with this setup?
yes you can still keep the stock obd2 distributor.
the only difference between the obd2a plugged ecu and an obd1-plugged ecu with a conversion harness, is the plugs.

Originally Posted by uncledan
How are you guys making almost 9 psi of boost on a jrsc? Is that the norm? I thought it was closer to 5 psi.
depends what pulley you use. there's 2 or 3 different sized pulleys made for them

Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Change pulley.

Nicely done motoxxxman.
thank you. only downside to that car was the atts lol. it was a downside because at that power level it was just enough to overpower the atts causing the light to come on and temporarily disable the atts system if you'd hammer on it too hard before it heatsoaked lol. the customer didnt mind at all though haha
Old 06-21-2009, 07:44 PM

Where can I get different size pulleys for prelude jrsc? Is there a pulley that will make around 7 pounds of boost?
Old 06-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Remembering why I don't like JRSC or ATTS......hahaha
He actually wanted to keep ATTS?! LOL