Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

95 Accord EX Wagon Steering Wheel Swap

Old 05-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Accord EX Wagon Steering Wheel Swap

I will be swapping the steering wheel on my 95 Accord EX Wagon with a better condition one.

My steering wheel is horribly deteriorated and worn from the previous owner. The top side has split open, separated from the core, and rotates around the core. I went to the junk yard and picked up a steering wheel in decent used condition for $16.

First I aligned my wheels and steering wheel straight. I then disconnected the battery and let the car sit for five minutes. I removed the two small phillips screws holding the cover on the bottom of the steering wheel, disconnected the yellow airbag connector, and connected the red connector in the cover to the airbag connector.

I then pried loose the covers on the left side which came out easily. The cover on the cruise control buttons on the right side was a little more difficult. The only thing holding it on is a couple snaps but it really pops when it breaks free, (it sounded like it broke even though it didn't both times I did it). This exposes the T-30 screws on either side holding the airbag in. There is one screw on each side.

Carefully remove the airbag and gently set it aside. There are three connectors to disconnect before un-bolt the steering wheel. Push the tab on the front of the connector on top circled in blue and pull it to the left. The lower connector circled in red just needs removed from it's holder. The right connector circled in green has a small tab underneath the white strip that I lifted up with a pocket knife while I used a flat head to pry the connector to the left and it came loose. Then you can loosen and remove the 14mm bolt circled in yellow. At this point I was able to wiggle and work the steering wheel loose with moderate effort. If a puller is needed it connects to the two holes above and below the bolt circled in yellow. The HarborFreight wheel puller set #69889 (Bolt Type Wheel Puller) that has bolts that fit these threads but I ended up not needing it. Carefully remove the steering wheel while carefully allowing the three connectors you freed to pass through the hole otherwise the cable reel will get pulled apart. I did this on the car at the junk yard. It was a mess.

Put the new wheel on aligned the same as the wheel you took off while feeding the three connectors through the hole. It should notch onto the teeth on the column and the notch on the top and bottom of the column. Hand thread the 14mm bolt back on and torque to 28 ft/lbs. Reinstall the three connectors in their proper place. Carefully place the airbag back in to position. Thread the two T-30 screws back in and torque to 7 ft/lbs. Replace the side covers. Remove the red connector from the airbag and reconnect the yellow airbag connectors. Replace the red connector on the cover, put it back in place, and thread the two small phillips screws back in. Reconnect your battery. Start the car and make sure the diagnostic SRS light illuminates and goes out within a few seconds to confirm everything checks out.

Enjoy the newer-ish steering wheel.

Last edited by coolswimmerjon; 05-07-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 Accord EX Wagon Steering Wheel Swap

P.S. - I also found this little gem on an accord (I think it was a 96) tucked in the back corner and bought it for $16. The car also had all the parts for a complete auto to manual swap including a very dirty (distributor oil leak) P2U5 tranny but I already have everything I need.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leather Steering Wheel Covers Manufacturer and Distributor should help
Old 03-18-2024, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old thread, but thank you for this little tutorial. Just swapped out the trashed steering wheel on my '94 Accord EX for one at the salvage yard ($18!) and this helped immensely. Thank you @coolswimmerjon !

Little tip, leave the (14mm?) steering wheel bolt about halfway in when loosening up the steering wheel from the spline and save yourself a lot of potential "fun" with the clock spring...