Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

How to modify/disable tpms

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Icon2 How to modify/disable tpms

I tried searching, but my searching skills suck w/ this new format....

I am purchasing a 2009 SI 4 Door and I hate the new wheels that come on them.I am going to puchase something else, so my question is....

What happens if I do not install the TP sensors on my new wheels?

Does it adversly affect the car in any way...

I.E. affect the VSA or affect the way the car runs in any way.....

I would assume that all those systems are tied together in some way, just not 100% sure.....

Is there some way to disable it or modify it (fool it) to work properly?
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Road House

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How to modify/disable tpms

Your TPMS light will be on. I don't believe you can disable it without removing a fuse.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:51 AM
K5^
Brand New

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not just that, but you VSA will be constantly on if the tpms system is not engaged properly. You can transfer the sensors from the oem wheels onto you the new set. However, most cats at tire shops don't care to be careful when removing the sensors and just end up breaking them, making you buy a new set.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K5^
Not just that, but you VSA will be constantly on if the tpms system is not engaged properly. You can transfer the sensors from the oem wheels onto you the new set. However, most cats at tire shops don't care to be careful when removing the sensors and just end up breaking them, making you buy a new set.
from what i've read on 8thcivic, that's incorrect. if the tpms sensors are saying that the air pressure is low, the (!) light turns on, and the vsa can't be disabled. however, if the tpms sensors are completely gone, a different tpms light will be on (one that just says tpms) and the vsa can still be disabled.

Originally Posted by FijiBlueFG2
Your TPMS light will be on. I don't believe you can disable it without removing a fuse.
i've read that simply removing the fuse won't disable the system. i'm curious how to completely disable myself. i'm guessing that it requires disconnecting the tpms controller (there's a seperate computer for it under the dash) and possibly switching to a 07 ecu (if the tpms system is ran through the engine ecu).

so in summary, the only problem you'll have if you put wheels on without the tpms sensors is that the tpms light will constantly be on. as long as it's not the low-pressure light, which is (!), the vsa can be disabled. you just gotta live with the light.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vladd
from what i've read on 8thcivic, that's incorrect. if the tpms sensors are saying that the air pressure is low, the (!) light turns on, and the vsa can't be disabled. however, if the tpms sensors are completely gone, a different tpms light will be on (one that just says tpms) and the vsa can still be disabled.
That was me that you were talking about that with on 8th! Yes, according to the manual, if the TPMS light is on, you can't disable VSA, but I know I was able to a few times when I needed to get up my snow covered driveway.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2008fijibluesi
That was me that you were talking about that with on 8th! Yes, according to the manual, if the TPMS light is on, you can't disable VSA, but I know I was able to a few times when I needed to get up my snow covered driveway.
right on . i actually don't remember what thread it was, there's a billion of them on tpms. have you seen anything about completely disabling the system? one of these days i want to get a wiring diagram of the entire car and see exactly where all the components are. i want to get a 2nd set of wheels this year and i'm definitely not spending the money on an extra set of sensors.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont use them in my new wheels. i dont mind the tpms light..just dont be lazy if you dont put them on, and check your air pressure
Old 04-10-2009, 04:33 PM
K5^
Brand New

so in summary, the only problem you'll have if you put wheels on without the tpms sensors is that the tpms light will constantly be on. as long as it's not the low-pressure light, which is (!), the vsa can be disabled. you just gotta live with the light.
That makes sense. Thanks for the correction.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:46 PM

You can disable your tire pressure light by pulling the fuse, but by doing that, the TPMS light will come on instead of your tire light. I've done numerous tests, by adding and dropping air. Pulling the Tire pressure sensor fuse you will still be able to deactivate the VSA. In other hands, if you decide to pull the VSA fuse, you will lose your electric power steering, and that isn't very fun to drive, its impossible to steer. lol
Old 04-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

switch to an 07 ecu and have key replaced, bye bye tpms.

there is a link floatin around 8th from a toyota forum on how to bypass it with a switch. search for that over there. tpms light will not effect anything, just might bother u.
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-11-2009, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K5^
i think that if the tire shop breaks the sensor they should pay for them or they shouldnt be replacing tires for anyone. i work at a honda dealer and if we break something on a repair we are doing we gotta pay for the parts and eat the labor cust shouldnt suffer for are mistakes. i have seen alot of customers come in with the tpms light on with new tires mounted and balanced with damaged tpms and the customers send the bill to whoever installed there tires and they get reimbursted.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hmoob_Lee_guy
You can disable your tire pressure light by pulling the fuse, but by doing that, the TPMS light will come on instead of your tire light. I've done numerous tests, by adding and dropping air. Pulling the Tire pressure sensor fuse you will still be able to deactivate the VSA. In other hands, if you decide to pull the VSA fuse, you will lose your electric power steering, and that isn't very fun to drive, its impossible to steer. lol

So, you are saying that if I do not use the TP sensors there will not be any adverse affects of the way the car runs, or the ability to turn the VSA on or off....

I dont plan on pulling the VSA fuse, and I dont care if there is a TPMS light on as long as everything else functions correctly....

Thanks for the replies.

Can anyone else shed some more light on the subject.....
Old 04-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hmoob_Lee_guy
why would you pull the fuse? whether you pull it or not the tpms light will be on if you don't have the sensors in.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why dont you just put the tpms valve stems in your new wheels??
its only one nut holding it down to the rim.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by i-VTEC_DOHC
why dont you just put the tpms valve stems in your new wheels??
its only one nut holding it down to the rim.
I was waiting for someone to ask that....

The rims that I am looking at are the HFP 17" in dark bronze/gmetal... and apparently they wont fit according to Handa-accessories.com

Unless you know a trick to get them to fit....
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ check out this site http://www.collegehillshonda.com/art...7_Wheels.shtml . they have a video of them talking about putting in a spacer in between the sensor and older hfp wheels to make them fit properly.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ check out this site http://www.collegehillshonda.com/art...7_Wheels.shtml . they have a video of them talking about putting in a spacer in between the sensor and older hfp wheels to make them fit properly.
Hell yeah !

Thanks for the link :-)
Old 04-12-2009, 08:57 PM

I thought that i had seen that the 07 Si does not need the tire monitors? or something of the sort? Does anyone on here know for sure?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FA5Clown
I thought that i had seen that the 07 Si does not need the tire monitors? or something of the sort? Does anyone on here know for sure?
tpms came on 08+ civics.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:05 PM

ok im guna ask another dumb question then. if i get new wheels on my 07 Si will i hafta mess with the tpms pieces?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FA5Clown
ok im guna ask another dumb question then. if i get new wheels on my 07 Si will i hafta mess with the tpms pieces?
no, 06 and 07 don't have tpms.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:09 PM
K5^
Brand New

Originally Posted by HONDAPARTSMANMIKE
i think that if the tire shop breaks the sensor they should pay for them or they shouldnt be replacing tires for anyone. i work at a honda dealer and if we break something on a repair we are doing we gotta pay for the parts and eat the labor cust shouldnt suffer for are mistakes. i have seen alot of customers come in with the tpms light on with new tires mounted and balanced with damaged tpms and the customers send the bill to whoever installed there tires and they get reimbursted.
That's cool. Shops I have dealt with slap another 130 after wheel+tires as a "tpms sensor repair/transfer" charge just for transferring the sensors onto a new wheel.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I switched the tpms sensors on my 08 Si from my factory wheels to my MB wheels with no problem(I work at a tire shop and did it myself).I also tried to disable the system but was unsuccessfull.I hate having any lights on my dash.Just take it to a trust worthy shop or a dealership.BTW-tpms sensor DO work on the hfp wheels as I have had a set on my Si.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:45 AM
TRIAL USER

I'm new to the forum. Just bought an '09 Civic si coupe and ready to order wheels with autocross tires mounted. Is there a bottom line answer to the question of defeating the tpms and keep the vsa working? ?
Not certain how the tpms works when changing air pressure a few times a day when autocrossing or at the track. Or buildig up pressure as the tires heat unevenly during track events..
Old 04-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok here is my understanding of the TPMS:

If the sensors are in the tires and they are sending a low pressure reading then that is when I believe it keeps you from turning off the VSA. You don't want to spin your tires with a flat tire...

When the system detects missing or damaged sensors then it should still allow you to turn off VSA.

This makes sense because many people use snow tires and going to the dealer for switching to them would be a pain. Snow is also the main reason(in most cases) you would want the VSA off.

This is just what I gathered from the many posts I have read on the subject.

Quick Reply: How to modify/disable tpms