Notices

b16 Bogging and running poorly

Old 09-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 Bogging and running poorly

I have 89 CRX with B16 swap. I have a few problems with it.

1. The car is sometimes hard to start. Regardless of ambient temperature, sometimes it would crank,turn, then almost as if it is struggling to turn, then it starts. Other times it starts fine. Sometimes it takes longer to start it when the engine is cold. I'm not sure what this might be, perhaps a starter?

2. Once started, it would idle erratically. Not ALWAYS, but most of the time. Typically it would go from 800rpm to 1200 then it drops to 400 then comes back to 800. sometimes it just goes up down up down constantly. I'm not sure if this is related, but once you shift into neutral while driving, it would drop too low as if it wants to stall, but then it bounces back up. This happens very fast. It never stalled. Then again, sometimes it works fine....

3. This is the biggest problem of all. Once the car is driving, if I start accelerating, the car bogs and hesitates. This typically happens after 3krmp. Rpm starts to jump up and down then "Check Engine" light comes on. At this time, the car still drives, no major bogging, but it kinda feels sluggish. Also, it feels like Vtec doesn't kick in, but i'm not sure about this. This doesn't happen every time i accelerate. Sometimes it's fine, but it's getting worse and worse. "Check Engine light" goes off once i turn the car off then back on again. The best way to describe it is it feels like you run out of fuel. There's no smoke at the exhaust or anything like that.

4. The engine vibrates allot. To the point where panels in the car start rattling. It' s very annoying, especially when the RMP fluxuates. (Edit) I have Hasport mounts. Not sure if that migh tbe the reason. Also, some mechanic told me it could be because of exhaust not having a right support or something along those lines.....

I am not very mechanically inclined, but I'm willing to try to take this on. I will check for more information, like a ECU code, and what type of ECU it is tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: b16 Bogging and running poorly

1. Check your ignition timing and make sure it is at the stock spec.

2. (Idle issues) Try cleaning the IACV with some carb cleaner. Unbolt it from the intake manifold and spray it really well, then flush out all the gunk and re-attach.

Have you properly set/adjusted the idle?

3. Check the voltage on your Throttle Position sensor. The Honda ECU looks for .5 volts when the throttle blade is closed and 4.5 volts at wide open throttle. You can measure this with a voltmeter.

4. Do a tune up. Replace distributor cap, rotor, wires, and spark plugs.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: b16 Bogging and running poorly

i have some of those problems too.