Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY Combination Switch Fix (Headlight Switch) AND Wiper Combo Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Combination Switch Fix (Headlight Switch) AND Wiper Combo Switch

With age and use the Combination Switch (Headlight switch) will fail to turn on the headlights, sometimes intermittently. It’s annoying and there is a way to fix it.
Name:  IMG_1381.jpg
Views: 20356
Size:  32.0 KB

VIDEO 1
Quick video:

1. To start, remove the steering column’s three screws and remove the column. (step 2 in manual image)
2. Turn the steering wheel so that you can remove the two screws holding the Combination switch in. Then unplug the two plugs to remove the switch. (step 3 in manual image)
Name:  ManualImage.jpg
Views: 20444
Size:  61.2 KB

3. Remove the two screws on the back of the switch.

Name:  IMG_1382.jpg
Views: 13782
Size:  41.2 KB

4. Notice that the pin shield is a separate piece from the pin piece underneath. If you hold the pin piece underneath down, you can pull the top shield piece off. Pull from the side with the two screw holes.

Name:  IMG_1383.jpg
Views: 13003
Size:  43.4 KB

5. Notice the two little white tabs below the pins (seen in image above). They are part of yet another separate white piece. Also, notice that just like the previous step, you can hold down on this new white underneath piece. So, press in these two white tabs while holding the white piece down and pull up on the top pin piece.

Once that top pin part is off, here’s what you’ll see:
Name:  IMG_1387.jpg
Views: 12778
Size:  53.3 KB
Make sure the contact piece on the left stays in the middle otherwise you’ll lose you blinkers.

Everything is now apart:
Name:  IMG_1388.jpg
Views: 13320
Size:  40.0 KB

6. Clean the contacts on the underside of the piece with the pins. My tool of choice is a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol. It should look like this after being cleaned:
Name:  IMG_1386.jpg
Views: 12909
Size:  48.6 KB

7. Lubricate the contacts. Add some dielectric grease to the contacts. You can use some of the grease that’s in the switch or grab a $1 pack of dielectric grease next time you’re at a parts store.

8. Reassemble
Name:  IMG_1389.jpg
Views: 12687
Size:  54.2 KB
Name:  IMG_1390.jpg
Views: 12674
Size:  47.4 KB
Name:  IMG_1391.jpg
Views: 12640
Size:  41.3 KB
Name:  IMG_1392.jpg
Views: 12918
Size:  40.6 KB

VIDEO 2
Quick video of checking operation of the other side of the Combo Switch. Basically just an inspection and finding the springs, to replace any broken ones, would be quite difficult to find:

VIDEO 3
Wiper Combo Switch, procedure similar to Headlight Switch, so if you need check out this video for a quick walkthrough:

Dirty
Name:  IMG_1431.jpg
Views: 12693
Size:  46.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1432.jpg
Views: 12553
Size:  52.0 KB

Clean
Name:  IMG_1433.jpg
Views: 12748
Size:  50.6 KB
Name:  IMG_1434.jpg
Views: 12799
Size:  44.3 KB

Last edited by danomatic93; 03-24-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Re: DIY Combination Switch Fix (Headlight Switch)

Hey - wow. This is great. I'm having a similar problem, but with my wiper switch, not the combination light switch. I would imagine that the procedure is much the same, and this DIY gives me hope that I can fix that problem myself, too.

Great work. Cheers.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:39 PM
New User

Default Re: DIY Combination Switch Fix (Headlight Switch)

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
Hey - wow. This is great. I'm having a similar problem, but with my wiper switch, not the combination light switch. I would imagine that the procedure is much the same, and this DIY gives me hope that I can fix that problem myself, too.

Great work. Cheers.
98 civic ex windshield wipers won't stop!!! What can i do to fix this?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY Combination Switch Fix (Headlight Switch) AND Wiper Combo Switch

Updated to include the opposite side of the Combo Switch and the Wiper Combo Switch.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 PM

Default Re: DIY Combination Switch Fix (Headlight Switch) AND Wiper Combo Switch

nice
Old 01-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the write up. This fixed my no dash light no tail light issue. Thanks again.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill subscribe to this. My headlight combo switch started making a burnt smell and then my headlight kept going on/off and now it just stays on. Ill have to find another one in the morning.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, thanks for posting this up!! Both my headlight and wipers are acting up. I'll pull both switches out tomorrow and clean the hell out of them. My wipers came on automatically after I started up the motor and would not shut off. I stopped the motor at a red light and they went back to normal again. With my headlights it all depends on how cold it is outside - the colder it is the longer it takes the headlights to go on. Must be dust and Jack Russell hair.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could try this but I just got another used one and it works fine.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:38 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Wish I'd known this yesterday when a lady with a '99 CR-V was having this very same problem.

She wasn't very mechanically inclined and didn't mention that she had anyone who could help, so perhaps it's for the best.

I'll remember this for some of my "broken" switches though.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Good writeup This reminds me that I have to see why my turn signals only cancel when making right turns.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by HBKFanatic
You could try this but I just got another used one and it works fine.
Yeah, but isn't that because yours nearly caught fire and melted?

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Good writeup This reminds me that I have to see why my turn signals only cancel when making right turns.
That is definitely one of my pet peeve problems that would drive me nuts. Might not be the switch in your case - could be the turn canceler.... uh, which is attached to the switch ... ok nvm.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is true! Looks like a lot less hassle to just get another one.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You have to be careful when you snap all the sub assemblies apart. There is that see-saw on the circuit board above the white piece that is only notched in and held in place by gravity. Mine dropped down further into the switch and hung up the indexing for the turn signal switch. I had to take the other cover off which is another story in itself. It took a little bit of figuring on how to get the spring and other works back together. By the time I got it all together I ran out of daylight. I will install it tomorrow.
The whole reason I took it apart and cleaned it was because the colder the weather the longer it takes the head lights to come on. I think the problem is in the headlight socket(s) or the headlight harness. Great write up all the same.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HBKFanatic
That is true! Looks like a lot less hassle to just get another one.
That's certainly your prerogative. I made the write up so that you could make the decision whether or not it's worth your time. I figure if it's salvageable why toss it, just fix it.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

after doing step 3, i noticed on mine that around one of the small white tabs, it looks like its melted and I cant complete this step...i know i have to replace this now but why is it melted? is this common? mine is a 99 civic ex
Old 12-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's already melted you're not likely going to be able to fix it easily without a donor assembly. When the points of electrical contact get dirty, the flow of current becomes more and more restricted. This produces heat which can be hot enough to melt the surrounding plastic parts.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

great write up. also having similar issues with headlight switch. lights come on, but not interiors, clock, or tail lights. i was also getting a burning smell from the switch. i was thinking it was a fuse box issue, but after reading the write up and reviews i'm almost certain this will fix it. i think i'll give it a try tonight.

thanks for the great write up!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awsome write-up...did this yesterday....what do you know, my dim lights work!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow. I would come across this thread the day after I order a new combination switch. Fml. Lol oh well, only 30 bucks.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Trial User

My switch wasn't working so i took out the motor. it was fine. but when putting it back the joints that spin now keep slipping. so i got no wipers until i replace that. As far as the switch goes. i would test each contact point they all seem to work. when i opened up the wiper switch. the white part on the inside was missing? So when you turn it for the wipers the little *** wouldn't be pushing on anything. messed up huh...Someone took it out
Old 06-02-2011, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very good job on the write up. Its not fun when your low beams just shut off going 70 MPH. SURPRISE!! I think it freaks other drivers out too ha. I'm going to clean the switch up tonight after work. I never knew it was such an easy job. Thanks for the great info.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by egerdahl
Very good job on the write up. Its not fun when your low beams just shut off going 70 MPH. SURPRISE!! I think it freaks other drivers out too ha. I'm going to clean the switch up tonight after work. I never knew it was such an easy job. Thanks for the great info.
^^That's exactly what motivated me to open one of these up for the first time! I had to drive 1.5 hours on the highway in the dark with only my parking lights on. Not fun at all.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by danomatic93
^^That's exactly what motivated me to open one of these up for the first time! I had to drive 1.5 hours on the highway in the dark with only my parking lights on. Not fun at all.
Well I took it apart today and it was really nasty in there. I could see where some of the plastic was starting to melt so it was a little difficult to get it apart. Cleaned it all up and put some fresh dielectric grease in there. While I had the column apart I cleaned the wiper switch up because the low setting almost never worked. So far all is working well and if down the road they act up again, I'm not out any money. Thanks again for the info.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Worked great thanks for this great tip.

Quick Reply: DIY Combination Switch Fix (Headlight Switch) AND Wiper Combo Switch