Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Pros and Cons of a lighter Crank Pulley

Old 03-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and Cons of a lighter Crank Pulley

i was planning on getting a lighter crank/under drive pulley for my B16A2, like UR. I also have a stage 2 clutch (centerforce PP w/ ACT street disk) with a fidanza flywheel. thanks guys
Old 03-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pros and Cons of a lighter Crank Pulley

im guessing the flywheel is lighter than stock? if so then i doubt you will notice any difference at all by putting on a lighter crank pulley.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can "free up" power and improve throttle response. But most are not balanced, so they can possible throw your crankshaft off balance.

My personal opinion on them is that they should be considered a race only part. Meaning if your car is strictly for track use, and you need to squeeze out every little bit of power.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A light weight crank pulley can add 5-8whp more than any other modification to the N/A engine. I have done this on a b16a of mine, and after about 60,000 miles with an unorthodox racing pulley I have spun a rod bearing and also need to replace the oil pump.

Needless to say its a great mod, but it won't last forever.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have no personal experience with this, BUT i also find it hard to believe that a lighter crank pulley can free up 5-8hp. unless possibly that is the VERY LAST mod that needs to be done. my guess would be 1-2.........something you might not even see on the dyno.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by T3KNiQe
A light weight crank pulley can add 5-8whp more than any other modification to the N/A engine. I have done this on a b16a of mine, and after about 60,000 miles with an unorthodox racing pulley I have spun a rod bearing and also need to replace the oil pump.

Needless to say its a great mod, but it won't last forever.
Since when did pulleys make any type of power?? I have never heard of but they do make the engine Rev a lot easier but the downside is you should do the same to the other side(flywheel) but the proper way to do is is take your entire bottom end and have it balanced and blueprinted thats the only 100% sure way that it was done correctly.

The machine shop will add or remove any weight so that way the bottom spins properly and any machine shop I have seen do this request the clutch flywheel and crank pulley so the weights are exact but if i were you don't waste your money it is more of a look than a power product.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:47 AM

I ran a UR crank pulley on a D16Y8 for two years before selling the car. I had no problems during that time, however, I agree that the absence of a balancer makes these more of a race only part. Why risk a daily driver, IMHO.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fluidampr and some other company whose name I forgot make balanced crank pulleys
Old 03-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by newtron63h
i have no personal experience with this, BUT i also find it hard to believe that a lighter crank pulley can free up 5-8hp. unless possibly that is the VERY LAST mod that needs to be done. my guess would be 1-2.........something you might not even see on the dyno.
Originally Posted by slvrcvc93
Since when did pulleys make any type of power?? I have never heard of but they do make the engine Rev a lot easier but the downside is you should do the same to the other side(flywheel) but the proper way to do is is take your entire bottom end and have it balanced and blueprinted thats the only 100% sure way that it was done correctly.

The machine shop will add or remove any weight so that way the bottom spins properly and any machine shop I have seen do this request the clutch flywheel and crank pulley so the weights are exact but if i were you don't waste your money it is more of a look than a power product.
They add anywhere from 5-8whp, more than anyother modification to the N/A engine.

I know this because....

1) I've read in books and online **** from people like Mike Kojima...
2) It was the last mod I had done to my b16a integra and had it dyno tuned, and I gained 6whp....

But I agree though you have to have everything fully balanced, or it will wear out something fast.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:43 PM

http://www.importtuner.com/powerpage...ulley_set.html

the possibilities of seeing high gains in this car are better do to the fact that its off a baseline of 190whp, yes as expected you see gains in %, you dont just see 5-8whp on any honda motor, you might get 2hp with a catback on a d15 yet 25 on a built k24 turbo, anyway back to the story well yeah the gains would be better noticable on this car because your starting off a higher point plus your changes are with multiple other pulleys like the alternator,ps,a/c and still it sees only a 3.5whp gain= your full of ****, not a chance your gonna get 8 whp of some stupid pulley on a b16 buddy! and to top it off b and k series engines were internally balanced they will not be effected that much if any from some stupid harmonic balancer, I had a ctr-n1 for over 70k not one problem(no balancer,yes even though honda?)
Old 03-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what he meant was that changing a pully doesnt change how much air/fuel the engine uses, therefore the pulley doesnt ADD any power. the power is there. a lighter pulley just frees up that power that was once used to turn the mass of the old pulley.

also like it was stated earlier and like i said in my earlier post, the gain also depends on the performance level of your car at the time you change it. if EVERYTHING is stock and you change the pulley, lets say reucing the weight from 5lbs to 2lbs. i seriously doubt you will notice much of a difference AT ALL. if you have a fully built engine, completely balanced, good for 10,000RPMs, 400+HP..........and the crank pulley is THE LAST thing left to do, then yes you might notice a substantial difference.

i dont know what books you have been reading, but all the books ive read and the instructors ive had have said underdrive/lighter pulleys are good for around 5 on average.........thats changing ALL of the pulleys.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey thanks..so as of right now i'll just stick to my lighter flywheels untill i have money to get me lower end balanced and blue printed. thanks guys
Old 03-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by V8 Eater
anyway back to the story well yeah the gains would be better noticable on this car because your starting off a higher point plus your changes are with multiple other pulleys like the alternator,ps,a/c and still it sees only a 3.5whp gain= your full of ****, not a chance your gonna get 8 whp of some stupid pulley on a b16 buddy! and to top it off b and k series engines were internally balanced they will not be effected that much if any from some stupid harmonic balancer, I had a ctr-n1 for over 70k not one problem(no balancer,yes even though honda?)
I never knew their were honda engines with a individual power steering crank pulley, a individual A/C crank pulley, and a individual alternator crank pulley, I was always under the impression their was one pulley that powered everything, you know the crank pulley?

Are you sure your not the one who's full of ****?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PS, alternator and AC are all run off the same pulley, the crank pulley, in every honda i have even seen or worked on.

to the OP i have never heard good thigs coming from a lightened crank pulley. everyone i have heard said stay away and run stock because they are "honda balanced" and were built specifically for that motor.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by T3KNiQe
I never knew their were honda engines with a individual power steering crank pulley, a individual A/C crank pulley, and a individual alternator crank pulley, I was always under the impression their was one pulley that powered everything, you know the crank pulley?

Are you sure your not the one who's full of ****?
He didn't say "crank pulleys", just "pulleys". Nice try, wise ***.

The issue with most lightweight pulleys is harmonic damping, not balance. An engine that is operated at a critical speed (during which the amplitude of the vibrations are most intense) can be perfectly balanced and still destroyed in minutes without a damper. If you're using a short stroke engine with low torque output (such as stock or near-stock b16's and d15's), you can probably get away with a lighter crank pulley that does not have a damper. Otherwise, you could encounter problems. Whenever your engine revs to (or through) critical speeds, the resonance will increase wear. The worse the engine harmonics, the more significant the wear.

Also, lightening pulleys does not change wheel torque at all; it just allows the engine to accelerate more quickly. If you're testing with an inertial dyno, the quicker acceleration will be measured as a gain in wheel torque. However, the dyno doesn't know the difference between increased wheel torque and lower rotational inertia - it just knows that the roller accelerated more quickly. The operator has to determine the reason behind the power increase.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:41 PM

dude are you ok are you really sayin this when trying to defend yourself you just super proved that you really really are full of **** to a massive extend yes Iam saying all those accessories have pulleys because they really do OMG! what the hell do you think your crank pulley does to all the ps,alternator,a/c? let me help you so you have atleast some knowledge about cars, it drives them (not like a steering wheel?) through a belt, one end of the belt on the CRANK PULLEY THE OTHER ON THE A/C PULLEY,THE P/S PULLEY,THE ALTERNATOR PULLEY LOL!

so yes honda does have more than 1 pulley on there engines and yes there companys that sell them in a kit with a set of 4, 1 for every individual pulley duh!

as for the other guy you are saying the exact same thing Iam, I said the same thing you will never notice the same gains from 1 product on every engine therefore you cant just say youll see 5-8whp off one item, as I mentioned before a product that gains %3 or 3 hp on a 102 hp d15 will not yield the same gain on a different motor like a k20r. you should always look at gains in % when judging a product. but as you can tell he was refering to a b16 and now it is very obvious he is refering to only the crank pulley change which will never ever give out a 6whp gain as he mentioned. say all you want. infact the ctr and itr was sold with and with out p/s,a/c and the ones with out came with n1 pulleys with only the line to drive the alternator, the n1 pulley is about 5lbs lighter than stock drives absolutely no extra belt yet yields no extra hp to the stock ctr or itr both much stronger than some b16 I wonder why?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by ddd4114
He didn't say "crank pulleys", just "pulleys". Nice try, wise ***.

The issue with most lightweight pulleys is harmonic damping, not balance. An engine that is operated at a critical speed (during which the amplitude of the vibrations are most intense) can be perfectly balanced and still destroyed in minutes without a damper. If you're using a short stroke engine with low torque output (such as stock or near-stock b16's and d15's), you can probably get away with a lighter crank pulley that does not have a damper. Otherwise, you could encounter problems. Whenever your engine revs to (or through) critical speeds, the resonance will increase wear. The worse the engine harmonics, the more significant the wear.

Also, lightening pulleys does not change wheel torque at all; it just allows the engine to accelerate more quickly. If you're testing with an inertial dyno, the quicker acceleration will be measured as a gain in wheel torque. However, the dyno doesn't know the difference between increased wheel torque and lower rotational inertia - it just knows that the roller accelerated more quickly. The operator has to determine the reason behind the power increase.
thank you,finally some one who knows what there talking about

Last edited by V8 Eater; 03-13-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude are you ok are you really sayin this when trying to defend yourself you just super proved that you really really are full of **** to a massive extend yes Iam saying all those accessories have pulleys because they really do OMG! what the hell do you think your crank pulley does to all the ps,alternator,a/c?

. infact the ctr and itr was sold with and with out p/s,a/c and the ones with out came with n1 pulleys with only the line to drive the alternator, the n1 pulley is about 5lbs lighter than stock drives absolutely no extra belt yet yields no extra hp to the stock ctr or itr both much stronger than some b16 I wonder why?
Lol im the only one in this thread to openly come out an and state my experiences with a light weight crank pulley set, nobody else. Atleast not yet.

Also who the **** buys a CTR/ITR OEM crank pulley under the impression its a light weight crank pulley? Its not, its OEM. It may be a little lighter than say the stock b16a/b18c, but its still not considered a light weight crank pulley lol.

"The Unorthodox Racing UD pulley set shaves several pounds of rotating weight off of the motors reciprocating parts, allowing the engine to rev freely as well as freeing up an additional six dyno-proven horsepower to the wheels." ( HP Books Honda/Acura engine performance, pg 26, Mike Kojima, ISBN 1-55788-384-X)

As I had stated earlier I had installed the Unorthodox Racing pulley set. I win.

Last edited by T3KNiQe; 03-14-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used lightweight crank pulleys on my Honda's for years and never any problems. I haven't seen any gains more than 2-3hp on the dyno, but its decent enough.

The more noticable and gain is from doing the lightened flywheel, what i great mod, i have nothing but good things to say about it. Especially in a civic that is so light, as say compared to an Integra. It's such a huge increase in throttle response and does improve 0-60 times.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As with just about everything in life seemingly these days so much MISS information and conjecture based upon bias opinions to back up there way of thinking fact is lightening the bottom end via the pulley, flywheel, crank ECT is a good thing!

Having said that i have been told upon good authority after about 300hp is when negative effects may occur if your not exceeding 300hp then your fine...

http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/faq.aspx#term01

https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/whos-running-harmonice-balancer-their-fully-built-motors-2252482/

Last edited by Richard...; 03-14-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:02 PM

OMG this thread is just full of nonsense, buddy again for the 3rd time you just proved to us that your knowledge with motors specially b vtecs are garbage,****.
let me correct you in a few matters
1) the ctr n1 pulley is lightweight,infact it too saves several pounds,infact it is lighter than some performance pulleys and finally it is honda's and spoon's choice of part to use in there endurance races( not your ordinary honda pulley dumbass)

2) I already told you before that I have used lightwieght pulleys infact the one I used was one of the lightest pulley you will find out with no p/s nor a/c drive on the crank pulley it saves 6 lbs from stock, take a guess which, you got it the ctr n1!
as I said before neither honda nor spoon claims for hp gains with this product yet they cleary state the weight difference wonder why?

3)never ever expect results that are given from the internet or manufacturer, if you are doing so you my son have a lloooot to learn!actually the article the guy above brought up is a perfect example to how easy it is to find loosers to just suck money from. that site cleary says 2.7 hp gain per lb right?
than I ask you on what motor? can you find any specific gain to any stock car there?
2.7 hp gain on a 500 hp m5 is possible yes! but what exactly would that mean If I lost the same lbs on a 102hp d15? dont believe me than call them up and ask what hp figure gains they garauntee on a stock b16, in your case they should easily garauntee a 4whp difference since you say the average gain is 5-8 easy!

4) still dont believe me? well I dont ...... care then cause your a lost case bro, just full of **** period!
as for the readers please do not fall into things you read of these forums from guys like this, do proper research before you buy a product, I mean think for a quick second, if you really gained 2.7hp per lb lost on an engine(honda) than you would get a gain of : stock flywheel on a gsr,sir18 lbs vs a race edition flywheel at 7.5= 10.5lbs plus 6lbs from a pulley = a total of 16.5lbs times 2.7 hp per lbs= 44.5 hp gain off a flywheel and pulley hahahahah LOL any moron who believes in that is welcome to buy what ever they want!
Old 03-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

V8 Eater I just get this notion from all of your posts that your an angry person. I don't know why, maybe its how you word everything or the tone of your posts. You either take **** to seriously or your just an angry person.

*And of course spoon is going to use the CTR-N1, because they are paid and sponsored by Honda Motor Company to internationally race/promote Honda engines/parts.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OMG this thread is just full of nonsense, buddy again for the 3rd time you just proved to us that your knowledge with motors specially b vtecs are garbage,****.
let me correct you in a few matters
1) the ctr n1 pulley is lightweight,infact it too saves several pounds,infact it is lighter than some performance pulleys and finally it is honda's and spoon's choice of part to use in there endurance races( not your ordinary honda pulley dumbass)

2) I already told you before that I have used lightwieght pulleys infact the one I used was one of the lightest pulley you will find out with no p/s nor a/c drive on the crank pulley it saves 6 lbs from stock, take a guess which, you got it the ctr n1!
as I said before neither honda nor spoon claims for hp gains with this product yet they cleary state the weight difference wonder why?

3)never ever expect results that are given from the internet or manufacturer, if you are doing so you my son have a lloooot to learn!actually the article the guy above brought up is a perfect example to how easy it is to find loosers to just suck money from. that site cleary says 2.7 hp gain per lb right?
than I ask you on what motor? can you find any specific gain to any stock car there?
2.7 hp gain on a 500 hp m5 is possible yes! but what exactly would that mean If I lost the same lbs on a 102hp d15? dont believe me than call them up and ask what hp figure gains they garauntee on a stock b16, in your case they should easily garauntee a 4whp difference since you say the average gain is 5-8 easy!

4) still dont believe me? well I dont ...... care then cause your a lost case bro, just full of **** period!
as for the readers please do not fall into things you read of these forums from guys like this, do proper research before you buy a product, I mean think for a quick second, if you really gained 2.7hp per lb lost on an engine(honda) than you would get a gain of : stock flywheel on a gsr,sir18 lbs vs a race edition flywheel at 7.5= 10.5lbs plus 6lbs from a pulley = a total of 16.5lbs times 2.7 hp per lbs= 44.5 hp gain off a flywheel and pulley hahahahah LOL any moron who believes in that is welcome to buy what ever they want!
You fail.