Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Radio is being freaky

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio is being freaky

ok this morning i turned key in to the 2nd switch and my radio just went on as loud as possible. i tried to turn it down and it wouldnt. the numbers or letters on the dash of the radio was blank. i clicked power/ radio / cd all the buttons on the radio and nothing would give. i took the key out and put it back in again the same thing happened. Numerous attempts failed. i noticed when i turned on my parking light everything would light up exept the whole radio area. climate control lights up but not the radio.

help ??

2004 RSX-S , Bose sound system
Old 03-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radio is being freaky

if i press the button for CD number 6 it shuts up .

sucks having no radio , what could be the problem ?
Old 03-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow thats a first! I know what you mean about not having a radio... I am radioless too because Honda want 104$ for the freaken code and I was like hell no ill just keep the 104 and add some and get a new one! Good Luck...
Old 03-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaveSi677
wow thats a first! I know what you mean about not having a radio... I am radioless too because Honda want 104$ for the freaken code and I was like hell no ill just keep the 104 and add some and get a new one! Good Luck...

lol theres a serial number on the back of it. my friend works at honda and he can log on and see what the code is from his house. ill ask him he can do acuras aswell.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kobeballer96
lol theres a serial number on the back of it. my friend works at honda and he can log on and see what the code is from his house. ill ask him he can do acuras aswell.
on club RSX i got some guy to help me out as well, his friend works for acura , you give him the number in the back of the radio , and he got me my code.

still no fix for my radio :[

im thinking about saving to replace the whole thing anyways.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i finally fixed it !!!!!!!

i disconnected the battery, took out the radio, cleaned it up a bit , put it back together, connected the battery. It works, but now i have a maintance required light.

How do i get rid of that
Old 03-01-2009, 05:28 PM
New User

Hey! I had a similar problem happen to me today. I hit a rather large hole in the road (not my fault, no way to avoid it it was pretty much a ditch across all lanes in a former construction zone, and I didn't see it coming)

anyway, after that the display on my radio didn't read anything, none of the buttons did anything, and the radio was stuck playing (thankfully not too loudly.)

It seems like we had the same problem, or at least a similar one. Could you be a little more specific on what you did? Because its really annoying me. (I actually took the fuse out just to stop listening to that same channel)
Old 03-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Avan Xx
Hey! I had a similar problem happen to me today. I hit a rather large hole in the road (not my fault, no way to avoid it it was pretty much a ditch across all lanes in a former construction zone, and I didn't see it coming)

anyway, after that the display on my radio didn't read anything, none of the buttons did anything, and the radio was stuck playing (thankfully not too loudly.)

It seems like we had the same problem, or at least a similar one. Could you be a little more specific on what you did? Because its really annoying me. (I actually took the fuse out just to stop listening to that same channel)
I sent you a private message of every step I did, but pretty much your radio got a bit out of place. Push the radio face back in position until your Anti-Theft light stays flashing.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:35 PM

idk about getting charged 140 for a radio codes....if you have ever taken your car in to get serviced at the dealership..the mechanics write the code on the side wall of the glove box...
Old 03-03-2009, 05:15 AM
Function > Form

My radio code was on a sticker on the inside of my fuse box lid under the hood. Try looking there Dave. It's stupid that they would even try and charge you because a service adviser is the one that came out to my car and showed me haha. Either that or try a different dealership lol.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ya i have tried already 3 dealerships and they all want 104$... also i had to change the fuse box due to a code for electric load... so that option is a nono!

Targa is looking into it for me with a buddy of his so hopefully he can help me out... if not I got to get a better job so i can get a new radio bc the morning drive to school is very long and boring... certainly when you are stuck in traffic!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah driving with out music really blows ..
Old 03-03-2009, 06:08 PM

I was going to tell you about our same situation with the radio. I'm glad you got it all figured out..

Evidently the person we bought the car from took out the aftermarket and popped back in the stock radio. Yes didn't put either of the 2 hold down screws in also, So after some dips and bumps the top left face dissconnected from the HU.

I found that out by... When taking out the HU (Pushing and Tugging). I noticed the Anti-Theft light come on, So I tried it for ***** and grins and it worked fine. So I got some screws and fastened the HU to the car as should be and it was fine..

So Xmas came around and I installed an Alpine HU and the Bose Amp Bypass in the factory bose's place and it looks awesome (Red Display that matches the gauges) and sounds much much better. Not to mention it's iPod & Mp3 player usable now.

As for you guys looking for a factory code. That sucks that they wan't to charge you that much. It should be free. I would just go aftermarket for a few bucks more and have a better sounding system.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tzer

So Xmas came around and I installed an Alpine HU and the Bose Amp Bypass in the factory bose's place and it looks awesome (Red Display that matches the gauges) and sounds much much better. Not to mention it's iPod & Mp3 player usable now.

Where did you buy it ? Im trying to get a good deal.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:23 AM
New User

Sounds like a resistor. You should look into an aftermarket setup, even a cheap one would be better than THAT.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well Targa came threw and got me the code and everything works nice and dandy!!!!

Finally musssiiiiiiiicccccc ahahaha!!!!
Old 03-06-2009, 05:43 AM

ok im just like yall. no radio, no bottons, nothing. i disconnected the battery, cleaned it up, reconnected yet still nothing. could you send me the steps you did to fix it please. also just to make sure do the hazard lights connect to anything involving the radio? and am i going to have to worry about that if i have to replace it?
Old 03-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty much push your radio in until your Anti-Theft light stay flashing. If your hazards don't turn on connect it.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by tweek_boii
Where did you buy it ? Im trying to get a good deal.
I actually got it from another forum.
I got a great deal for the Stereo, Harness, Amp bypass, Remote & Dash insert & Shipping.
The deal was so good that I don't even want to post the price LOL and not it wasn't HOT.
Dude manages a stereo shop and was running some Christmas specials. Hell he even prewired it at his shop.

The model is the CDA 9884 (Comes with the iPod cable as well).
It's to bad Crutchfields claims it Discontinued but there are some on Ebay. It really matches the red lighting pretty decent. It sounds way better then the stocker but it's not going to win any sound comps either.

This is what it looks like..

Another Pic at night. Not in the RSX-S though.. Just a pic I found online :D

Last edited by Tzer; 03-06-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tzer
I actually got it from another forum.
I got a great deal for the Stereo, Harness, Amp bypass, Remote & Dash insert & Shipping.
The deal was so good that I don't even want to post the price LOL and not it wasn't HOT.
Dude manages a stereo shop and was running some Christmas specials. Hell he even prewired it at his shop.

The model is the CDA 9884 (Comes with the iPod cable as well).
It's to bad Crutchfields claims it Discontinued but there are some on Ebay. It really matches the red lighting pretty decent. It sounds way better then the stocker but it's not going to win any sound comps either.

This is what it looks like..

Another Pic at night. Not in the RSX-S though.. Just a pic I found online :D
I was about to say I SEE THE RADIO WHERES THE RSX !!!

Put a picture when you can LOL
Old 06-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Trial User

Hey guys, I have a 2005 Rsx-s and the same thing happened to me (was driving and hit a pothole on the highway pretty hard and the display on head unit went out completely as well as the buttons, but the radio still plays... Unfortunately it is stuck at a very high volume tho lol :/), so if someone could pm me how they got this fixed that would be great! I already checked the fuses and I just disconnected the battery but didn't fix it so someone please give me some help!! It SUCKS not having music in my car (or having it really loud without being able to change songs lol)!

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2014, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Best upgrade i ever did was ditching the stock Bose!
Old 07-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Selling Stock Acura Type S cd player with code PM me im located in Canada, Ontario.