Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

5th Gen Accord Cluster Disassembly Write-Up (Pics)

Old 02-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5th Gen Accord Cluster Disassembly Write-Up (Pics)

Ok, so this write up is for anyone who may need to replace one of the gauges (most of the time the speedo/odometer gauge), the circuit board in the back, one of the pesky dash lights going out, or anything else. Now, this entire disassembly is AT YOUR OWN RISK!! I do not take any responsibility if anything breaks during your disassembly of the cluster as there are fragile parts, but it is very simple if you are careful. Now, if you need to even get to the cluster, see the magnificent cluster removal write up by TheMuffinMan in the FAQ section or the version with the pictures by awdgsx96. Props to them for those write ups.

Now to the disassembly.

First off, as I said, there are some fragile parts in this cluster, and one drop of a somewhat weighted object, and there goes a gas needle on my spare cluster. Courtesy to whoever in my family dropped something on it. Thanks guys!!

Ok here is the cluster, all ready to be taken apart.

First, turn it over. There is a light right in the center with a wire that trails down the center.

Turn it counter-clockwise. Should only be 1/4 of a turn.

Then pull that puppy out and you are good to go.

Just slide the wire out from the clip in the middle that holds it in.

Now we will move to the back being taken off first. You could take off part of the front with the front shield, then move to the back, but risk messing up the needles, so this is the safest route to go. There are two screws at the top left and right that need to be taken out first.

Here is the one on the left.

And the one on the right.

Then there are a few little clips around the edge, pull them up very slightly and pull the back off. Just slowly pull this out, one clip at a time, and you will be good.

Here is the cover removed and the back of the circuit board shown. There are four lights, one small at the top left and three in the center left, dead center, and right center. Just 1/4 turn counter-clockwise like before and set them aside, or replace if needed.

Here is the two screws and plastic backing cover. Keep track of all the screws you take out. Some are different sizes, so just separate everything and you will be fine.

Next you want to take out all the sets of screws from the back of the circuit board. Start with the three from the back of the fuel gauge to the very left as shown.

Four silver screws hold the speedo/odometer gauge in.

Three screws hold the tachometer gauge in.

And three more hold the engine temperature gauge in.

As I said before, make sure you separate the screws. All of the screws besides the four silver ones are the same, but it is still good practice to keep them separated.

As you can see, there is a size difference between the bronze colored screws and the silver colored ones.

Here is the front of the circuit board. Be careful with this piece, as it is a circuit board. I placed mine on top of the plastic backing piece just to be safe.

Your cluster should now look like this.

Now here at the top are some of those pesky dash lights. If you have any out, you can just pull whichever one you need out and replace as necessary. You can always flip the cluster over and look at which one you need to replace if necessary.

Just a 1/4 turn counter-clockwise as like the lights before, and replace with the new one.

Also two screws if you need to take that small circuit board out for some reason. Here is the left one.

And the right one.

Now, to getting the front plastic shield off. There is three clips on the top the you need to press in one by one and gently pry them apart. Remember, gently. It will come out easily, just don't force it.

And there is also four at the bottom. Same as the top. Press in and gently pry apart and the whole shield should come off.

Now you should be to this point at the dissassembly.

Now just lift up gently on the outsides of the black trim piece. There is nothing holding it so just slide it up. Be careful though because the gauges are not secured any longer at this time because you have taken the securing screws out in the back.

You should now look like this.

Each gauge can now be picked out.....gently.

And just set them aside. And yes........my speedo and tach go that high, especially with that krispy kream short throw shifter, adds at least 300 horse to the rear view mirror. Ok now seriously, back to the write up.

Back to the normal sitting of the gauges. Non-high performance Mode.

Cluster completely disassembled.

Here is everything laid out. Organization is key to any disassembly, so try and make it second nature with anything.

Back of the temperature gauge.

Back of the tach gauge.

Back of the speedo/odometer gauge.

And back of the fuel gauge.

Now lets say you want to put gauge faces on.....the kinds that slip on. I will briefly touch on that subject. Remember this is not for the needle removal type. There are two screws On each gauge in the middle on either side of the needle. Take them out. Then GENTLY slip the face over it. Make take some "tender loving care" but it should not be much.

That is the gap you have to work with. Not much.

And that is lifted all the way up. So be careful. And take your time.

Well that's all for my rambling. Hope this helps anyone. And remember you do not need to go through all of this to do just one thing. Like for example, for just one gauge remval and replacement, only unscrew the screws pertaining to that specific gauge. Reassembly of the cluster is exact opposite as disassembly, as with most things. Just take your time. Hardest part is getting the gauges to line up with the screw holes, but should not be too hard honestly. Good luck, and ask any questions if needed!!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:05 PM

Default Re: 5th Gen Accord Cluster Disassembly Write-Up (Pics)

Pretty good write up. This is good for those people wanting to swap out there factory tach for the JDM one and still have the mph gauge.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man! I mean, I figure when it comes to the cluster, there is a good deal of things that people may need to do to it.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great reference material. Thanks for taking the time to post. I need to disassemble a cluster and this provides a great overview of the job.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no problem man, let me know how it goes.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice write up man Is it possible to remove the stupid "PRND4D321" thingy? Because after I do my 5 speed swap I want to put in a 5 speed black trim and make the cluster look more "appropriate" and do You know if you can use a black trim from a dx on an ex?
Thanks
oh btw Tamadrummer, Pearl all the way man

Last edited by davey5300; 02-28-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, if you do the swap I have seen people either just keep that in there, or you can go to majestic honda, under the faq section you can get the link, and order the black trim for the manuals that has that section blacked out. Or go on ebay and buy one there. And you know, I don't want start pointing to better drumsets........oh hey look at my username.....just messing with you man. I love them both, both great drumset manufacturers.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and there is no difference to my knowledge from the dx to ex clusters besides the lack of the ABS light on the non-ex models. hope it all goes well. TAMA FTW!
Old 03-01-2009, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you notice any issues with the circuit board for the gauge that was not working? I.e. soldering worn?
Old 03-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have always had a gauge go bad. Never had the circuit board go bad, but I have heard of it happening. Worst comes to worst. A gauge stops working. Get a new cluster and swap either that gauge from that cluster and test it and if it does not work try the circuit board swap, or just put that whole new cluster in, hoping everything on it works.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a question my car lights up the dash the green color but i cant see my needles for the tec or speedo or the fuel or temp needle why is that its prety annoying i cant tell how fast im goin or how much gas or anything... please help if you can man if not thanks and good write up...
Old 03-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, depending on what year, they will not light up. Needles that light up, like all newer ones are called lexan needles. Older vehicles, like the 5th gen, do not have them, so at night, all you see is that faded green background color and no needle.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dam so what your saying is that my 95 accord lx needles dont light up if sooo that SUCKS....
Old 03-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yepp. You could do a bunch of wiring and swap in the prelude cluster, its in the FAQ section. Then you can have glowing needles, but as of now you have no real option for glowing needles. I feel ya bro, wish they did, easier to read at night.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:39 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by b16racereg6
dam so what your saying is that my 95 accord lx needles dont light up if sooo that SUCKS....

What made you think they lit up?

There are two overhead bulbs that may go out and make the cluster needles hard to read. Replace those two.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know newer accords needles are lexan so they do light up MuffinMan. But I know what you mean, you can look at the needles and tell they dont light up.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:44 PM
He knows where you live!

Yeah haha, the 5th gen is solid white. Definitely a good write up.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks bro. Bought the cluster for my broken fuel gauge. Decided to grab the camera as it gotten taken apart haha. Bored this weekend. I may sit down and figure out how to take apart the speedo and odometer gauge, because there is a lot of stuff behind that one.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in my civic i can see everything but not in my accord but nooo im not saying that needle itself lights up im just saying i cant see them at all only green back round can any one post a pic of the 2bualbs that may have went out i want to change them 2mmrow thanks....

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
What made you think they lit up?

There are two overhead bulbs that may go out and make the cluster needles hard to read. Replace those two.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look at the pictures in the post. May be the four big ones behind the circuit board.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:50 PM
He knows where you live!

White strip on the left of the cluster, there's two bulb housings on it on the front side.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, you mean the overhead lights? Oh yeah, screw those lights haha.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks im pulling it out any idea what numbers the bualbs are soo i can buy them befor i tare it apart.... thanks for the helppp...
Old 03-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check out majestic honda, you can get the part numbers there. and the bulbs too if you want.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is that a web site??? cuz im from upstate ny..... id rather go to adavced and get them for 3bux not ten like honda...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5th Gen Accord Cluster Disassembly Write-Up (Pics)