Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

TPMS system problem on new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: TPMS system problem on new wheels

Originally Posted by HONDAPARTSMANMIKE
hey i work for a honda dealer and have run into the same problem. what i do is inflate the tire psi to 40-45psi then remove the valve core and let the psi drop to like 20 psi(tire will almost look flat)now inflate to proper psi. you might have to have the light cleared again. what happens is the sensor is in a sleep mode. this pocedure is done during pdi when the cars are first delivered to honda.
good luck
What is involved with programming new sensors and how much should a dealer "really" charge to do this?
Old 03-06-2009, 04:36 PM

I had two quotes from 2 different honda dealerships for recalibrating my sensors. The 1st one was $140, and the 2nd was $84. It "should" be a quick fix, but if they need any extra time to fix it if they run into problems, they will charge you labor for it. The $84 they charge is supposed to be the time for 1.5hr labor, the time it takes to recalibrate the TPMS.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1. when the dealer recalibrates te sensors they know within 10 minutes everything went ok or not. either the tpms light or low press light will come on if not. they have to test drive it as part of the recalibrate sequence.

2.if ur tpms light in on the dealer should be able to scan the system for codes.

3. on aftermarket wheels where the tire press is diff. than ur stock wheels the threshold needs to be rewritten on the sensor before recalbrating. i have seen this not done many times by other dealers and will cause issues.
ex. ur stock wheel is used to 32psi now on ur new wheels u run 40psi. the sensor threshold needs to be rewritten to accept 40psi and no want to read 32 psi.

hope this helps. im a honda tech and do this at least 1x a day and never ran into any issues on aftermarket wheels
Old 03-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by postman
1. when the dealer recalibrates te sensors they know within 10 minutes everything went ok or not. either the tpms light or low press light will come on if not. they have to test drive it as part of the recalibrate sequence.
I know you're a tech, and no disrespect, but that isn't entirely true.

I had my dealership fix a TPMS light that was on. I know they test drove it because my car had 12 more miles on it than when I dropped it off. The light was off when I left the dealership and it came back on a 1/2 mile from my house, 16 miles from the dealership.

Turns out the whole time, that I had a cracked TPMS sensor. All better now!
Old 03-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by i-VTEC_DOHC
maybe if you overtighten it??
or they might have dropped it.
Or when taking clamping the wheel off the rim, ppl use to hit them all the time when they first came out at tire places. Geez 30$ a sensor they used to be like 90$+ for 350z/G35s when they were first out don't complain guys. The sensors are pretty sensitive.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by 2008fijibluesi

I had my dealership fix a TPMS light that was on. I know they test drove it because my car had 12 more miles on it than when I dropped it off. The light was off when I left the dealership and it came back on a 1/2 mile from my house, 16 miles from the dealership.

The question for me is..which one is cracked.. but whatever i gave up figuring this crap out. Not worth my time or money anymore. I'll deal with the light. But thanks for the info!
Old 03-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hobbez
The question for me is..which one is cracked.. but whatever i gave up figuring this crap out. Not worth my time or money anymore. I'll deal with the light. But thanks for the info!

The dealership should be able to tell you which sensor is throwing the code. The will probably have to dismount the tire to determine if it is cracked, but they can definitely tell (from the computer) which sensor is having a problem.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:28 AM

They were probably BSing me then cuz they said they couldnt figure out what was wrong after 3hrs of work.. I wasnt gona keep paying them for more labor to figure it out..
Old 03-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2.if ur tpms light in on the dealer should be able to scan the system for codes.

3. on aftermarket wheels where the tire press is diff. than ur stock wheels the threshold needs to be rewritten on the sensor before recalbrating. i have seen this not done many times by other dealers and will cause issues.
ex. ur stock wheel is used to 32psi now on ur new wheels u run 40psi. the sensor threshold needs to be rewritten to accept 40psi and no want to read 32 psi.

hope this helps. im a honda tech and do this at least 1x a day and never ran into any issues on aftermarket wheels

Thanks for the feedback... It is much appreciated!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2008fijibluesi

no he is correct. as long as the "tech" knows what he is doing after he programs the sensors and tests drives it he will know right away.

to the op i would question the work done at the dealership your taking your car to.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:42 AM

I just swapped my stock sensor's into aftermarket wheel's I'm glad I didn't come across this problem. You should the stealership.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Two quick questions for you...

Does the programming of TPMS sensors have to be done with the calibration tool that plugs into the OBDII port (such as the Bartec Tech400)? Or can you use one which is wireless like the Bartec Tech 300/Plus?

Second, and perhaps the more important question, can two sets of TPMS sensors be programmed for an 08 Si? Meaning, the OEM wheels would have the original OEM TPMS sensors and a second set of wheels (winters) would have a second set of OEM TPMS sensors programmed for/with the car. Or can the car only be programmed for one set of four TPMS sensors at a time?

Ultimately, I'm looking to have TPMS sensors (and NO TPMS light) for my summers and winters without having to breakdown the wheels to swap sensors or reprogram the second set of sensors everytime I change from summers to winter and vice versa. Is this realistic? If not, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been researching the same problem and found 2 tools that can store 2 sets of TPMS data that can program your ECU when you swap your wheels. There's this one and even better this one.