Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

TPMS system problem on new wheels

Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS system problem on new wheels

The TPMS system is driving me nuts. I bought a set of new wheels (Enkei EKM3s) recently and had a shop swap my stock sensors onto the new wheels. Unfortunately one of the stock sensors broke when the shop was installing my new wheels -__- So the shop had that sensor ordered via my car's VIN# and installed it onto my rims, but the TPMS light stayed on. I took it to the dealership and had them reprogram the light, and after try after try, they finally thought they fixed the problem with the light by disconnecting my aftermarket stereo and recalibrating the TPMS then. They stated that because I swapped the OEM radio with an aftermarket one the PCM (?) doesnt recognize it and thus when recalibrating the TPMS, the light will still stay on. After 3hrs at the dealership I thought the problem was fixed. I drove home no light everything was cool. Later that night though, I drove my car again and poof the light comes on! -__- I have NO idea what it could be. But I'm afraid if I tell the dealership about the problem they will charge me more money to fix it. Any car gurus have any clue what could be causing this problem?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:34 AM

Default Re: TPMS system problem on new wheels

check the tire pressure? is it to spec?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:44 AM
K5^
Brand New

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeusone
check the tire pressure? is it to spec?
That would be the "(!)" light. I think the op is talking about the "TPMS" light.

I think it would have been better if you just bought a whole new setof 4 sensors rather than trying to transplant the oem ones. Good luck though.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much do 4 sensors cost?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:59 PM

too much -_- they go for around $30-50 each.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

isnt the rebuild kit like 30 bucks?
Old 02-26-2009, 03:55 PM

probably 30 bucks each sensors dont go cheap..either way
Old 02-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your better off just not running any sensors at all. I have my winter tire and wheels on right now and i have got used to just seeing the TPMS light on always. Even with my Mugen GP's which came factory on my car I was having problems with them resetting the system. I was getting the TPMS light for no reason and they replaced the entire TPMS unit, all the sensors and it still came on. Finally they were able to get it reset. I would just run nothing at all and just check your pressure the old reliable way, by hand!
Old 02-27-2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by XX Boosted Si XX
Your better off just not running any sensors at all. I have my winter tire and wheels on right now and i have got used to just seeing the TPMS light on always. Even with my Mugen GP's which came factory on my car I was having problems with them resetting the system. I was getting the TPMS light for no reason and they replaced the entire TPMS unit, all the sensors and it still came on. Finally they were able to get it reset. I would just run nothing at all and just check your pressure the old reliable way, by hand!
Yeah glad to hear Im not the only one having this problem. But its kind of obsurd that you're getting this problem on your OEM equipment. Someone that works at the dealership told me I need to just unplug the TPMS unit from behind the radio to get rid of the light so I'll probably do that later when I have time.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I switch tpms sensors from stock wheels to aftermarket wheels all the time and haven't had an issue yet.The key is to very carefull not to over tighten the valve core b/c you can cause a hairline fracture in the sensor and ruin it eventhough it look fine.As far as the aftermarket radio thing I don't know.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by K5^
That would be the "(!)" light. I think the op is talking about the "TPMS" light.

I think it would have been better if you just bought a whole new setof 4 sensors rather than trying to transplant the oem ones. Good luck though.
4 sensors? Don't you think it costs too much?
Old 03-01-2009, 04:58 PM
K5^
Brand New

50 bucks a piece? That's not bad, especially if you plan to buy some expensive forged wheels. No I don't. If you want to do it right and not have the system fail on you then it's a small price to pay.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbez
The TPMS system is driving me nuts. I bought a set of new wheels (Enkei EKM3s) recently and had a shop swap my stock sensors onto the new wheels. Unfortunately one of the stock sensors broke when the shop was installing my new wheels -__- So the shop had that sensor ordered via my car's VIN# and installed it onto my rims, but the TPMS light stayed on. I took it to the dealership and had them reprogram the light, and after try after try, they finally thought they fixed the problem with the light by disconnecting my aftermarket stereo and recalibrating the TPMS then. They stated that because I swapped the OEM radio with an aftermarket one the PCM (?) doesnt recognize it and thus when recalibrating the TPMS, the light will still stay on. After 3hrs at the dealership I thought the problem was fixed. I drove home no light everything was cool. Later that night though, I drove my car again and poof the light comes on! -__- I have NO idea what it could be. But I'm afraid if I tell the dealership about the problem they will charge me more money to fix it. Any car gurus have any clue what could be causing this problem?
hey i work for a honda dealer and have run into the same problem. what i do is inflate the tire psi to 40-45psi then remove the valve core and let the psi drop to like 20 psi(tire will almost look flat)now inflate to proper psi. you might have to have the light cleared again. what happens is the sensor is in a sleep mode. this pocedure is done during pdi when the cars are first delivered to honda.
good luck
Old 03-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by XX Boosted Si XX
are you able to turn off vsa with the tpms light on? i've read up on this and people are saying different things. i hate driving in the snow with the vsa on. if i get new rims i want to put the tpms sensors in them and leave the original wheels w/o sensors to use in the winter.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by HONDAPARTSMANMIKE
hey i work for a honda dealer and have run into the same problem. what i do is inflate the tire psi to 40-45psi then remove the valve core and let the psi drop to like 20 psi(tire will almost look flat)now inflate to proper psi. you might have to have the light cleared again. what happens is the sensor is in a sleep mode. this pocedure is done during pdi when the cars are first delivered to honda.
good luck
Hmm I believe they already did that according to their notes while working on my car. I think the problem with my sensors is that it was possibly over tightened in more than 1 sensor and caused a hairline fracture in more than 1 sensor therefore making the TPMS light go on. I heard that if these sensors are overtightened, they break easy.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the dealer should be able to tell you which sensor isnt responding to calibration. you dont need to replace all of them, thats none sense. tell the dealer to stop dicking you around and fix the problem. you shouldnt get charged since its a reoccuring problem that they already diagnosed and failed at fixing. tpms can be tricky but the dealer should be able to calibrate the sensors or at least tell you why they cant. aftermarket accessories can disrupt the frequency of the tpms sensors but with the aftermarket stuff unplugged they should be able to fix the problem. I work at the dealer and run into tpms problems all the time
Old 03-03-2009, 10:52 AM

why cant ppl at the dealership be cool like you?! lol.. i dont know im just sick and tired of the TPMS system and i have way too much school work these days to be hangin around in a car dealership for hrs on end. I decided to just ignore the light and check the tire pressure myself every now and then, like how i did when i had my '94 civic... back when these 'luxurious' things didnt exist. Thanks for the info and tips though!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im curious how you break a sensor??
its just a nut on the valve stem and u take it off and it just slides out.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:36 AM
K5^
Brand New

Originally Posted by i-VTEC_DOHC
Did you transplant your stock sensors to your new wheels?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K5^
Did you transplant your stock sensors to your new wheels?
yea and it works fine.

i dont see how u could break a sensor
Old 03-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by i-VTEC_DOHC

Good question...ask the morons at STS that did it to mine.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2008fijibluesi
Good question...ask the morons at STS that did it to mine.
maybe if you overtighten it??
or they might have dropped it.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:42 AM
K5^
Brand New

I want to know how also. Every time I try to price out a wheel at any given site, they mandate that you buy a whole new set of sensors. I call
Old 03-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K5^
I want to know how also. Every time I try to price out a wheel at any given site, they mandate that you but a whole new set of sensors. I call
yea its not necessary. cuz i went to americas tire and they told me 568 for my current set of tires. then the guy was like oh i forgot about the tpms rebuild kit which is gonna be an extra 120 cuz its 30 bucks a wheel. and i said f*ck that and bought my tires from jhpusa for 411.xx and got em mounted for 40 bucks at my friends tire shop. i saved myself over 200 bucks.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K5^
I want to know how also. Every time I try to price out a wheel at any given site, they mandate that you buy a whole new set of sensors. I call
just say it's for an 07 when looking at wheels.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPMS system problem on new wheels