Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

caR wont start after fill up with gas!?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default caR wont start after fill up with gas!?

About two weeks ago i went and put some gas in the car, i went to go start it and it didnt want to start. It finally cranked over on the 2nd or third try. I didnt really think too much of it. I went again to put some gas in last night and it did it again. Didnt start on first try and finally cranked over on second or third try. Weird thing about it is, the car runs great besides this and starts up fine every other time. It only stumbles upon start up when i put new gas in. Anyone have any idea of what could be causing this? I did some research and other people with hondas have the same issue, although no site really diagnosed the problem fully, people mentioned bad gas cap or purge control? Any ideas?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: caR wont start after fill up with gas!?

I dont know. My 2000 GSR with LS/VTEC does the same thing. Everytime I put gas in it, it won't start unless I pump the gas pedal. If I don't pump the gas pedal, it will just keep cranking over. I think it has something to do with too much gas flooding the system.

I wouldn't think that a bad gas cap could be the cause.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^well thats the worst thing you can prolly do. Dont pump the gas pedal on any fuel injected system. But still have no clue why this happens...
Old 02-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It has something to do with the evap purge, check that....i remember i had the same problem with my swapped hatch, but i can't remember exact what i did. I think i ended up unhooking it since i was running a JDM ITR ecu that doesn't look for the evap purge system.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I don't pump the pedal, it won't start. If I pump the pedal 1-2 times when I try to start it, it starts right up. But I have to sit there and keep the revs around 2000 for about 15-20 seconds to burn the excess fuel out, or else it will just stall and die.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well all my emissions parts are hooked up but I am running Hondata S200. Not sure if that is a problem.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fuel Pump.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just try unplugging the hose to the evap purge cylinder and see if it starts, if memory serves me correctly, i think that is what i did to fix my problem.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try this. Drive you car around and then shut of off. Spend about the same amount of time with it off as you would if you were filling it with gas.

What I think may be going on is it would be a bad fuel pressure regulator, and you are vapor locking your fuel system or it is a drop in fuel pressure where it needs some time to prime age.

Next thing you should try if it dosnt start right up. Just put the key in the ignition to acc II until the fuel pump stops running and try and start the car.

If it starts right up try this whole thing agen. You may just have a bad FPRG.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your car?

Mine does the same thing after EVERY fill up. If I dont have the gas pedal to the floor it WONT start. Then after starting I have to keep the rpms around 2000 for a couple minutes or else itll die again.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My 99 Si did this exact thing after I swapped out the stock ecu for a chipped p28. It was always an experience waiting to happen when it was fill up time. I swapped the stock ecu back in and no problems.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could be the fuel pump, there is a check valve in side the tank . its with the pump and level assembly. its a check valve that is suppose to hold fuel pressure even when the car is shut off, it is suppose to bleed it off lil by lil.... if that thing goes bad you will end u with extended cranking. but this will be there everytime the car is shut off
Old 03-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone figure it out? Mine is doing it more and more lately, not just after I fill up. It doesn't matter how much gas I have, sometimes it'll do it and sometimes not.

It's really getting annoying having to hold the REV's high for a good 15-20 seconds just to burn off the excess fuel so it won't stall. I am going to try unplugging my EVAP canister and the rest of the emission components one by one until the problem goes away. I have a feel it is something to do with running an OBD1 ECU on an OBD2 car.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

does the same thing happen if you turn your key one or two clicks (same as when you play your radio etc with your car not started) and let the fuel pump prime?
Old 03-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the same thing happens all the time. I always let my fuel pump prime before I turn the key. I've also tried starting it without letting the fuel pump prime to see if that would make a difference, but still no difference.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill let it prime next time. I just filled the car up two days ago and I had to press the gas pedal down to get it to start. Then I still had to hold the rpms for 30 seconds or else it would die. (Turning on the AC) also helps [It makes it idle higher]
Old 04-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by WheaMyRyceGo
Ill let it prime next time. I just filled the car up two days ago and I had to press the gas pedal down to get it to start. Then I still had to hold the rpms for 30 seconds or else it would die. (Turning on the AC) also helps [It makes it idle higher]
This is exactly what is happening to my car. What is your setup?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had starting issues a while ago and i trouble shooted my problem. The car would start sometimes and sometimes it wouldn't. The culprit that transmission ground wire over time the screw gets rusted and on top its over a pianted surface so looses resistance. I made a new strap and ran it right to the battery ground and now car starts every time. And i know that was the problem for sure with my case. A friend of mine also integra owner had the same issue
Old 04-02-2009, 07:54 PM

Its one of the hoses on the evap purge it happened to mine and i fixed it. Don't ask which one because this was a year ago and I no longer have the car to remember.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:31 AM

Simple trouble guy!

When you put gaz the purge solenoid stay open and the intake minifild fill with some liquid gaz or vapour.

If your car is OBD2 you need to hook-up the system like OBD2 and invert the solenoid control in your chipping setting. Or use a OBD1 charcoal canister and purge solenoide.

For JDM engine, the system use a king of ventury on the throttle body and no purge solenoide. This way you need to use a charcoal canister desing for this purpose.

If you don't hook-up the canister to the engine, it may fill up in ome time and spill gaz to the outside, the ground or a hot part in the engine bay and catch on fire!
Old 04-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mathieucivic
Simple trouble guy!

When you put gaz the purge solenoid stay open and the intake minifild fill with some liquid gaz or vapour.

If your car is OBD2 you need to hook-up the system like OBD2 and invert the solenoid control in your chipping setting. Or use a OBD1 charcoal canister and purge solenoide.

For JDM engine, the system use a king of ventury on the throttle body and no purge solenoide. This way you need to use a charcoal canister desing for this purpose.

If you don't hook-up the canister to the engine, it may fill up in ome time and spill gaz to the outside, the ground or a hot part in the engine bay and catch on fire!
So you're saying all I have to do is invert the solenoid control through my Hondata S200 if all my OBD2 is hooked up correctly which it is.