Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans fluid

i searched but the link is broke for the pic. i have a 02 accord V6, i would like to drain and add transmission fluid. the haynes man states there is some type of filler "hole", can i add thru the dip stick?

thank you
Old 02-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: trans fluid

The filler hole is the actual dipstick hole.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can fill from the dip stick tube but there is a fill plug on top of the trans case. 17mm case plug.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'd second the 17mm nut but there is a problem the oil jet kit gets installed there if the person has an original trans
Old 02-05-2009, 03:59 PM

If you find the 17mm nut on top, be careful useing a funnel. The 1st and 2nd clutch drum is right there and will be spinning with the motor running.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Umm, fill it with the engine off.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:56 PM

umm, no. you fill and check fluid level with the engine running in park.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:35 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by transguy37
umm, no. you fill and check fluid level with the engine running in park.
No you don't...
Old 02-06-2009, 05:10 AM

wow, the transmission industry has been doing wrong for 50 years now. You just keep doing it your way then. I will see if I can get us reeducated. LOL
Old 02-06-2009, 07:38 AM

Icon2 checking trans fluid

so what is the proper way to check the trans fluid? i believe the haynes manual states to wait one minute aftert the car has been shut off. however it doesnt say how long the car should be running prior to shutting it off.

what is the proper way?
Old 02-06-2009, 08:33 AM

If you are going to do a drain and refill, drain all the fluid out you can. with the motor off, pour 4 qrts of fluid in. Crank the car and check level, add if you need to. Let the car get up to operating temp and check again with the car running and add if need to. Then you are done.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

quote from service manual:

1. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature (the radiator fan comes on).
2. Park the vehicle on the level ground. Turn off the engine.
3. Remove the dipstick (yellow loop) (A) from the transmission and wipe it with a clean cloth.
4. Insert the dipstick into the transmission.
Remove the dipstick and check the fluid level. It should be between the upper mark (B) and lower mark (C).
6. If the level is below the lower mark, pour the recommended fluid into the filler hole (A) to bring it to the upper mark. Always use Honda ATF-Z1 Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). Using a non-Honda ATF can affect shift quality.
7. Install the ATF filler bolt (B) with a new sealing washer (C).
8. Insert the dipstick back into the transmission.
So not the whole industry, just you, and anyone you advised. Honda's are different.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:40 PM

LOL. Honda's are not any different that and Ford or Chevy. You just stick with your little manuel there and go for it. The whole industry I am refering to is the whole US. We go to the the siminar's twice a year with all the automakers and techs, So if they are wrong then so is your book because they wrote it. Nice huh?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:42 PM

I love people who can read a book and become qualified, no hands on at all, it's not need. I read the book. LOL
Old 02-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That would be my OEM Honda manual. Thanks for trying.

ASE Master Tech + Honda, Nissan, and Toyota certified.

Where do you work (so everyone knows where NOT to take their cars)?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:53 PM

I don't have the ASE, never took the time to spend the money for it. But if I did it would be master tech for Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Volvo,BMW, Mercedes,Jaguar,Saab,VW, and anything else you want to throw my way. Been in it for 12 yrs now. Been there and done that and back again.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol. You don't have a clue. Honda specifies for the fluid to be checked with the engine OFF. Every model. If you check it while it is running it will read low, which will result in it being overfilled.

Oh, and there are only 8 tests, takes about 4 hours, and if the shop you work for was worth half a **** they would pay for your tests. ASE does not certify you on makes, that is done by the manufacturer, which requires manufacturer specific tech school. So no, you would not be.

You want to try again?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:12 PM

Ahh you are one of these high and mighties, only you know whats going on. Sorry didn't know it was you, my bad. No one else can be right. Yes, I know what an ASE test is, this not elementry school. And no I don't want to try again, there is no reason with people like you. You've got the certification, so you must be right. Be kewl. By the way, ASE doesn't mean anything in the aftermarket world, they care what specs you know on a piece of paper, they want to know what you can produce out they door and that works. They are not doing warranty work.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You back it up with talk...not facts. Try again.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:28 PM

What facts. I work for a living and do it everyday, I don't need a paper to tell me how to do my job. Knowledge is knowledge. I read the same TSB's and tech manuels. Because I don't have a ASE badge I'm not worthy. LOL, this is retarded dude. You have got to know it is. If I was doing it wrong for 12 yrs., I don't think I would have a job. It doesn't matter to me if he checks it with the engine off or on, it's he's choice. I know how we do it and they are not over full. LOL, this is funny.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:04 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL, this is funny.
and now it's over....

unless you can provide supporting facts, as xci_ed6 did with the quote from the service manual, to prove you are right then this discussion is over. I'm not going to have this back and forth bickering going on for pages.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:53 AM

I agree, I've got a guy argueing with me over splitting hairs here. I don't have documentation, just experience. Do what the manuel says, it doesn't bother me. I promise not to lose sleep over it.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree, I've got a guy argueing with me over splitting hairs here. I don't have documentation, just experience. Do what the manuel says, it doesn't bother me. I promise not to lose sleep over it.
...... as long as 'the last word' Right?

This applies to Honda transmissions and others (GM 700R4, TH400, TH350 ect) that fill thru the dipstick or filler tube. Some manufactures use filler holes, and this requires other proceedures.

There are many good reasons for checking and filling Transmissions with the engine off:
- When the engine stops, the fluid in the transmission starts draining back into the sump area. It drains from the clutch packs, the acumulators, the servos and yes; even (sometimes) from the converter. That's why they ask that you wait several minutes to check the level; so that this fluid can return to the sump. (The same thing applies to the Engine as well.

- If a transmission were to be filled (to the mark) with the engine running, this drain-back would flood back into the sump and effectively overfill the transmission. This can cause things which should be avoided:
1) Fires. As the trans overfills there is the possibility of fluid belching from the filler tube / dip stick area. The fluid hits a hot manifold and daddy becomes a crispy critter
2) Frothing. The fluid gets whipped by the rotating components now bathing in the excess fluid. Whipped stuff is good as desert toppings but not here
3) Hidden Damage. The presence of an overfilled sump is an indication of serious problems both with a Transmission AND an Engine. In an engine, it can indicate blown head gaskets or a cracked block. In a transmission it can indicate a damaged torque converter check valve. This is usually incorporated in the pump housing in the Torque Converter fill circuitry. It's job is to retain the Transmission Fluid in the Converter, thus avoiding engagement delays waiting for the converter to fill.

And then there are safety concerns. It's bad enough rooting around a small area with a hot exhaust manifold close by, but I don't need to contend with cooling fans popping on or marginal ignition wires giving me a zap.

Do yourself a favor and read the manual.

P

Last edited by P_Adams; 02-12-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:36 AM

My gosh we are beating a dead horse here.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:41 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by P_Adams
...... as long as 'the last word' Right?
that is exactly what I was thinking

Quick Reply: trans fluid