Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Buddy Club Spec III+ Cams on GSR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Buddy Club Spec III+ Cams on GSR?

Hi all,

I previously made a thread about my proposed turbocharged setup for my 1999 GSR. I was pretty much talked out of doing that to my soon-to-be daily driver, but I would still like to modify my stock B18C1 somehow. I decided that I would do a very mild head build, and this is the list I've came up with so far:
- Buddy Club Spec III+ Cams
- Buddy Club Cam Gears
- Supertech Dual Valve Springs/Retainers

I can't really find much useful information on the web on these cams besides old threads from the 2000s. Any reccomendations or thoughts? I've read that these cams would do okay with the GSR's stock compression ratio of 10.0:1, but should I try to increase it to 11.0:1? If so, can that be achieved with just a thinner head gasket? I don't plan on taking apart the block to change pistons, and I guess I would be fine with putting in flat-faced valves. Also, how well would these do on the street without a tune I still have to drive the car in the meantime before it can be tuned on Hondata, A'PEXI VAFC II, or whatever I choose latwr on. And probably the stupidest question I have: what are the odds these cams could pass CA SMOG after being dropped in? I would highly appreciate it if anyone with experience with these cams could chime in! Thanks!
Old 05-17-2020, 06:32 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Re: Buddy Club Spec III+ Cams on GSR?

A tuned aftermarket ecu will not pass smog.

if you are worried about smog, it’s best to leave it stock or only do CARB EO stickered mods.

good news is you can legally turbocharge a gsr with a greddy CARB kit. Bad news is youd have to find a complete or piece together a kit at this point.