Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:35 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap

I have a 07 civic ex (4 door). Right now i have a stock R18A1 engine and i want to get a new engine. I don't know which engine would fit best in my car to give me the best result. Has anyone had experience with engine swaps in my type of Honda?
Old 02-14-2009, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Engine Swap

I dont know your financial status, but if you can afford it just trade in your car and buy a new or certified used Si. I think it would be one heck of a lot easier and less stressful. proly more economically friendly too. then you can go from there and have a nice 2.0 liter honda engine and all will be right with the universe.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:14 PM
New User

Thanks but I have already put a lot of work into the car (not engine) and i am looking for a k serious engine but i just don't know the engine that will fit in my car. Thanks for the advice though. everything is appreciated.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by FA5Clown
I dont know your financial status, but if you can afford it just trade in your car and buy a new or certified used Si. I think it would be one heck of a lot easier and less stressful. proly more economically friendly too. then you can go from there and have a nice 2.0 liter honda engine and all will be right with the universe.
x2
Old 02-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there is only 1 person that has done a swap...i forget what motor he went to but im assuming it was a k20z3. honestly, just buy an SI, turbo your r18, or just get another car. i highly doubt you have enough mods in your car to justify yourself spending a ridiculous amount of money on a motor swap ($10k plus i think is what the guy ended up paying). and even if you did have that much work in your car, just pull it all out and swap it into an SI.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:05 PM
K5^
Brand New

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rileycivicex07
Thanks but I have already put a lot of work into the car (not engine) and i am looking for a k serious engine but i just don't know the engine that will fit in my car. Thanks for the advice though. everything is appreciated.
What exactly qualifies as "a lot of work?" If you're willing to dump that much cash then go with an a2, that way you can actually run kpro.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or go type-r with the k20a
Old 02-15-2009, 03:54 PM

Has anyone had experience with engine swaps in my type of Honda?

i like to know too, what kind of engines can go on these new hondas, although i don't see a reason why mess with a good thing, the other posters are right you cannot go wrong with the civic si and if you drive that thing correctly, it is truly rewarding.

what kind of mods you got on yer ride that makes you not happy and wanting a swap.?

Last edited by talampunay; 02-15-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:18 PM

only one ive seen was the a2. which is a not cheap.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:53 PM
New User

Right now i have a aem cai and a skunk2 catback exhaust. I know that isn't much and i just ordered a weapon r header. I am just not happy with the amount of power that i have. I drove my cousins Integra after he got a swap and there is a huge difference in the vtec kick. He had a k20. I guess i am just wondering if I should turbo my r18 or if I should put a new engine in. My cousin said i should get a new engine but i wanted more than on opinion. Is it possible to put a K20a into my car?
Old 02-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks but I have already put a lot of work into the car (not engine) and i am looking for a k serious engine but i just don't know the engine that will fit in my car.
What's a lot of work? Any parts you can't take off?

Is it possible to put a K20a into my car?
Did you read the previous posts? There are people who have done it. It was very expensive, almost the cost of your LX. So if you have $15k in funds, then go for it.

Here's a video of the guy that did it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FT6Esah-r4
Old 02-15-2009, 08:28 PM
New User

Thanks for everything. I can't sell my car and get an si but i am going to put a turbo on it. Sorry for all the confusion. I don't have 15k to spend on a new engine. I thought it was going to run me around 6k. Thanks for all the advice you guys. You have been a big help!
Old 02-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why create 2 threads for the same topic? If you piece out a swap you could get it much cheaper, but it really racks my brain why people go to such extent to modify the R18 platform. I could see buying a fleet spec DX to convert to a trailer queen track car.

In my personal opinion, which I am entitled to, I see a lot of people wasting their cash buying pricey parts for a platform with results that are marginal at best. I see a lot of people modding their vehicles that they rely on to get the from point a to point b, many of these people need their car to get to school and or work and if it broke down in a way that warranty wouldn't cover it they would be so strapped for cash they would have to lean on family or miss payments and insurance or worse yet lose their job and it get repo'd.

In the end it's your money and you will do what you want with it. But If I was in your shoes I'd do intake, exhaust, some respectable wheel and tire combo, minor suspension and a sub woofer and put my money toward a project worthy of the cash, that will yield exceptional gains and pay my car note off. No sense in wasting cash, depreciating your vehicle further, and jeopardizing your daily transportation.

Something I want to add is that many R18 owners are on a tight budget already because let's face it, unless you have a stubborn significant other who refuses to learn to drive stick or your car loan is cosigned by parents you would have gladly climbed into an Si.

There will be some who argue the fuel economy point and my rebuttal is that this is the wrong hobby to be worried about fuel economy and people who are really trying to save money on gas are far from trying to go fast.

Additionally, going fast WILL NEVER be cheap, this is a HOBBY and parts aren't free. IF that doesn;t set right with you-you picked the wrong hobby.

So if you have $15k in funds, then go for it.
Seriously, purchase price plus another $15k is some serious cheese to be as fast or marginally faster than an Si. You'd either have money to burn and do stuff like this just to say you did or you are really obtuse.

$15k-$20k would have you one seriously fast as fugg and sick looking 92-00 civic. Unless the look of FA/FG platform makes your panties wet I'd say you are mental.

Last edited by Kidnkorner; 02-15-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

these hard times, i'm even surprised how people are still able to buy expensive stuff for their cars. damn, i'm even struggling to pay my rent. lol. but i guess i'm the only one who isn't a baller here in HT.

i envy the OP for even being ready to have a 6K for his civic. props to you, man. spend it wisely.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:06 PM

Honda tech hasnt changed at all, I remember when people were swapping in integra motors in civcs and spending some serious cheese on their swapps and now they are so common that you can do a swap on a eg with any engine on the planet.

06+ civics is an excellent platform to build on and projects can be achieved with persiverance and funding over a period of time(allowing you to save up to achieve your goal)

For the guy that keeps copying and pasting the same bulls**t about driving your car from point a to point b, you have nothing positive to say about someone trying to mod their car you really need to open your mind more because YOU can't afford to hook up your car it doesn't mean that another person isn't willing to do something to improve the performance on any platform.

That being said, I just want the OP to know that modifying a stock car is not easy at the very least, you have car manufacturers that do research an how to prevent you from modifying your car and the newer your car is the harder it gets.

If you can get an si swap for your car at a reasonable rate, and know someone who has done many honda swaps and are willing to take on a same platform swap, I don't see why it would be that hard. I live in south Florida and I have the ability to get a full si swap for a reasonable price but I probably wouldnt take on that type of mission because i already have an ongoing project.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Traymack1
For the guy that keeps copying and pasting the same bulls**t about driving your car from point a to point b, you have nothing positive to say about someone trying to mod their car you really need to open your mind more because YOU can't afford to hook up your car it doesn't mean that another person isn't willing to do something to improve the performance on any platform.
You haven't got a clue do you? There is being negative and then there is trying to talk sense into someone that their money could be better spent elsewhere.

Who in their right mind would dump upwards of $10,000 into a car that cost upwards of $16,000 to be as fast or marginally faster than an Si? That is just plain stupidity!

You will spend $10,000 on the car and when you go to sell it will NEVER EVER recover even close to what you paid, you will devalue the car so much, narrow the market in which you could sell your car and the only people that will buy it are other Honda enthusiasts that will low ball the hell out of you. But what do I know, I have only been doing this for 12 years.

I can afford lots of things guy, I own and run a shop in Arizona called All Version Performance and have a full blown e commerce website www.allversionperformance.com

I actually have 2 cars that are in construction stages right now, 1 is a 99 Civic hatch with a K24 with a K20A crank and Xtrac transmission, the other is a 00 Si being taken down to a shell with a custom firewall for a RWD conversion similar to this.

The difference in mine will have a K24A2 based engine with a RWD Xtrac transmission.

06+ civics is an excellent platform to build on and projects can be achieved with persiverance and funding over a period of time(allowing you to save up to achieve your goal)
Yeah the R18 06+ civic is such a great platform, with the wide array of mods being produced and the widely available tuning solutions to accomodate those mods.

An 06 Si is a somewhat great platform, and a fleet spec dx is a great platform.

I have never ever seen so many car owners who say they take this hobby so serious yet are so afraid to spend the money and tinker or hot rod their car. Everyone wants someone else to take the plunge 1st. All I have to say about that is they should get a car that they aren't so afraid of messing something up not trying to mod their only car to such an extent that they worry about getting warranty work done on their car.

Honda tech hasnt changed at all, I remember when people were swapping in integra motors in civcs and spending some serious cheese on their swapps and now they are so common that you can do a swap on a eg with any engine on the planet.
yeah but people weren't doing this to BRAND NEW cars and the swaps weren't costing them $10,000 either.

Additionally, the technology has increase 10 fold and the technology has not improved on a linear level. The engines or modern swaps are far more complex and far more expensive and less straight forward then someone tackling a B or H series swap.

Last edited by Kidnkorner; 02-16-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kidnkorner
You haven't got a clue do you? There is being negative and then there is trying to talk sense into someone that their money could be better spent elsewhere.

Who in their right mind would dump upwards of $10,000 into a car that cost upwards of $16,000 to be as fast or marginally faster then an Si? That is just plain stupidity!

You will spend $10,000 on the car and when you go to sell it will NEVER EVER recover even close to what you paid, you will devalue the car so much, narrow the market in which you could sell your car and the only people that will buy it are other Honda enthusiasts that will low ball the hell out of you. But what do I know, I have only been doing this for 12 years.

I can afford lots of things guy, I own and run a shop in Arizona called All Version Performance and have a full blown e commerce website www.allversionperformance.com

I actually have 2 cars that are in construction stages right now, 1 is a 99 Civic hatch with a K24 with a K20A crank and Xtrac transmission, the other is a 00 Si being taken down to a shell with a custom firewall for a RWD conversion similar to this.

The difference in mine will have a K24A2 based engine with a RWD Xtrac transmission.

Yeah the R18 06+ civic is such a great platform, with the wide array of mods being produced and the widely available tuning solutions to accomodate those mods.

An 06 Si is a somewhat great platform, and a fleet spec dx is a great platform.

I have never ever seen so many car owners who say they take this hobby so serious yet are so afraid to spend the money and tinker or hot rod their car. Everyone wants someone else to take the plunge 1st. All I have to say about that is they should get a car that they aren't so afraid of messing something up not trying to mod their only car to such an extent that they worry about getting warranty work done on their car.

yeah but people weren't doing this to BRAND NEW cars and the swaps weren't costing them $10,000 either.

Additionally, the technology has increase 10 fold and the technology has not improved on a linear level. The engines or modern swaps are far more complex and far more expensive and less straight forward then someone tackling a B or H series swap.

First of all I do have a clue, you copied and pasted the same **** in another post. You are the one swapping a s2000 motor in a civic, I could say to you why don't you just buy an s2000.

If you trade in a car you are losing out anyway, close to $6000 with the economy so bad they are trying to get rid of new cars for cheapso it is devaluing your trade in further. Plus, when you think about it some people don't pay much money down and they give these long term loans on cars, you have such negative equity you will have to take an even bigger loss.

I was just saying that if you could get a full si swap for $4500 which I can(I live in an area that engines are cheaper) and do the swap yourself, with a little help from people with knowledge, such as yourself, you could reasonably do the swap for less than $6000, and if you plan on keeping your car long term it would be a reasonable investment.

You dont know what other people scenarios are so if you don't have any helpful suggestions on the swap itself stop hating because the OP did not ask if it was a good idea but he asked for information on the swap itself.

And by the way I was referring to a time when ek's were new and a type r swap was at least $4500.

People dump mega bucks on their cars for the love of the hobby and it is beneficial to go to a site, such as Honda-tech for information. Who cares what you want to do to your car, it is your ****. Drop a corvette engine in your **** if you want to.

By the way that is a nice car, do you have any more pics. I love all types of cars and dont care what the next guy wants to do so if you have any knowledge on how to do an engine swap please post because inqiring minds would like to know.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:53 PM

Not to hi-jack the thread or anything, but has anyone done an engine swap in an FG2 yet? I will be swapping a K20 stock motor with a built-up K20 and wanting to get an idea of the labor hours involved.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All I can offer up to you is do not start or run that engine without a wideband and a someway to read oil pressure. Only start that engine up on a dyno, don't even drive it to a dyno, tow it.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow i was just thinking about this today also. I have a 06 civic lx with 80k+ on it and i was thinking of swapping out the motor around 150k thanks for the insight.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:43 PM

Another thing to think about is there is not much for engine management for these motor swaps in an 06+ civic. In fact no working standalone yet, just a hondata reflash and some piggy backs that have to use the factory ecu for the DBW and gauges.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think you should drop the k24a2 tsx motor in there.
it redlines at 7k just like you tach does.
its dbw also!!
205 hp /164 tq

ftmfw!!
Old 02-23-2009, 07:39 AM

they make r18 turbo kits. . .look into one of those