Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Car dying while driving! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Car dying while driving! Help!

So to start off this is my moms 94 Honda Accord Ex. She has a F22B if u care. This is the problem..she was driving, and on occasion a little battery sign(red) would come up and then dissapear. One day her car just completely shuts off and wouldnt start. lights would work,radio works(no subs,amp) So i gave her a jump and it worked fine. 20 minutes later it dies out again. To sum it up it happened about 2 more times. There are two things im thinking that went wrong off the top of my head. Either the battery or the alternator. We got them both checked out at autozone and they said they were both good. The employee said it might be the alternator slowly giving out. I really dont want to throw money at the problem without knowing whats wrong. What u guys think? Anyone else experience this problem? Feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 01-10-2009, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Car dying while driving! Help!

Yeah, sounds like an alternator problem. But a good amount of the time when the alternator goes out, it drains the battery completely to the point where nothing works. My car did the same as you described yours of doing (except for the battery light). My problem ended up being a crank position sensor. Also, i worked at autozone for about a year and i think those testers are a little vague when it comes to testing the alternator. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ej2man
So to start off this is my moms 94 Honda Accord Ex. She has a F22B if u care. This is the problem..she was driving, and on occasion a little battery sign(red) would come up and then dissapear. One day her car just completely shuts off and wouldnt start. lights would work,radio works(no subs,amp) So i gave her a jump and it worked fine. 20 minutes later it dies out again. To sum it up it happened about 2 more times. There are two things im thinking that went wrong off the top of my head. Either the battery or the alternator. We got them both checked out at autozone and they said they were both good. The employee said it might be the alternator slowly giving out. I really dont want to throw money at the problem without knowing whats wrong. What u guys think? Anyone else experience this problem? Feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
Honda has been having recuring problems with the ingition switches which can manifest themselves by cold start problems and unanticipated stalling while operating. They have actually issed several recalls for various models (I believe your mom's car may be one of them) to replace the electrical portion of the switch.

I would start there; but it is also in your best interest to have the alternator checked as well.

P
Old 01-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good info. gonnatell1, was the crank position sensor an easy fix? or would i have to go about getting it special ordered from the dealer? And P adams, how do i go about getting my moms car checked out for the recalls. Just show up to the dealer or call ahead of time..thanks guys!
Old 01-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good info. gonnatell1, was the crank position sensor an easy fix? or would i have to go about getting it special ordered from the dealer? And P adams, how do i go about getting my moms car checked out for the recalls. Just show up to the dealer or call ahead of time..thanks guys!
Jot down the Vin Number from either her windshield plate or her State Issued Auto Registration and call your local Honda Dealer. Ask them if there were any recalls issued for her year Accord and specifically for her Vin.

The Crank Angle sensor is a Dealer Only item available only thru Honda dealers.
The Ignition Switch can be bought either thru Honda Dealers or any large(r) parts supply houses.

P
Old 01-11-2009, 06:13 PM

Yep, P Adams is right. You'd have to order it from the dealer. I work at Oreillys and we dont even list it. I failed to mention that my accord is a 1998 4 cylinder but it was pretty easy to change. I just had to take off the timing belt cover to unhook the electrical connector and disconnect the actual part from the bottom of the timing gear.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys. Got a new alternator and belts as well. Works better now and no little battery light
Old 01-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys. Got a new alternator and belts as well. Works better now and no little battery light
Glad it worked out.
I'd still advise making that phone call to Honda. Why turn down free stuff?
If it does come about you've got some recall work due you, just look out for the service writers, They'll undoubtedly try to recommend something totally unrelated.
Just politely say "no thank you" (they're just doing their jobs )

P