Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

FAILED inspection - twice for same thing [OBD not ready]

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: FAILED inspection - twice for same thing [OBD not ready]

Yeah its a pain in the *** but im leaving my car at Honda at 9am tomorrow and telling them to let me know what they find and to not touch a fuccing thing until i authorize work to be done.

update coming tomorrow for anyone who's interested
Old 02-17-2009, 02:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ^XpLiCiTxX^
Yeah its a pain in the *** but im leaving my car at Honda at 9am tomorrow and telling them to let me know what they find and to not touch a fuccing thing until i authorize work to be done.

update coming tomorrow for anyone who's interested
PLEASE DO!!!!!!!!

<<<This guy right here is subscribed to this thread..lol.

BTW, my sticker is all done today......My wife has a beetle which needs about $500 in work to get a sticker, I think I may take it to fail so I can drive that for two months. I am in a world of **** with mass inspections and my cars.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

greg i hope you bring the vasoline too, they are gonna butt rape ur *** so ****ing hard.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mr. Em1
greg i hope you bring the vasoline too, they are gonna butt rape ur *** so ****ing hard.
ouch!!!!!
Old 02-23-2009, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump, any updates people. I guess a main question is if it's because of the mini me swap ECU?
Old 03-04-2009, 07:41 AM
New User

I'm also having the same problem with my '99 Civic EX. I have an appointment next week with the dealership. I may try hooking up my OBD-II scanner (on laptop) while driving it and see what it tells me.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by metalmachine
I'm also having the same problem with my '99 Civic EX. I have an appointment next week with the dealership. I may try hooking up my OBD-II scanner (on laptop) while driving it and see what it tells me.
Please keep us posted of any news. I actually tried to plug in my old ECU (I knew it was going to run like crap because of the timing and fuel map) and it ran way too rough so I put the Ex ecu in and now I have a code. I took it to get scanned and it wouldn't register. I am thinking I didn't log enough miles...... I will let you know what this code is when I take it again to get scanned.

Peace
Old 03-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eastbobdam
Please keep us posted of any news. I actually tried to plug in my old ECU (I knew it was going to run like crap because of the timing and fuel map) and it ran way too rough so I put the Ex ecu in and now I have a code. I took it to get scanned and it wouldn't register. I am thinking I didn't log enough miles...... I will let you know what this code is when I take it again to get scanned.

Peace
I threw a Vtec code and fixed it, checked my ground and cleared it. So far 30+ miles and no light. But just went to autozone to buy a thermostat and gasket because I read somewhere someone had similar issues and it was a thermostat. I will hopefully install it next weekend.

Bump, any news from others who took there car?
Old 03-21-2009, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what ecu and motor is in ur car?
Old 03-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ekb16
what ecu and motor is in ur car?
I have a 97CX (D16Y7) block, with a 00 Ex (D16Y8) head, with a manual P2P Ecu from I think a 98. I did the potentiometer trick to clear the CEL's.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 97CX (D16Y7) block, with a 00 Ex (D16Y8) head, with a manual P2P Ecu from I think a 98. I did the potentiometer trick to clear the CEL's.
do u have the same problem as the OP or are urs diff? which monitors are set and which ones are not? what codes were you getting b4 u did the trick to clear the codes?

Last edited by ekb16; 03-21-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I hear ya bro.....but be warned because I had an 97 Cx and did the mini me swap (Y8 head) and I don't know if this caused the EVap **** or not. I think my next step is to go back and get another rejection sticker to buy me two more months (I believe I can do this) and then swapping my Y7 TB (3 wire) back in and repinning the ECU back to the original configuration and then going to get a sticker. I think these issues are coming from the P2P ECU....... I was also wondering if I could trick the monitoring system somehow by looping the EVAP hoses back to itself or somehting. I did the pot trick to get rid of code 91 or P0453 and it worked. This is what sucks, I have no CEL's/Codes and I passed safety, it's just the stupid monitoring **** is not ready and killing/preventing me from passing!
code 91 or P0453 was what was getting thrown because of not having the sensor in the gas tank.

The monitors that were not ready were :Catalyst, EVAP monitor, and O2 monitor.

Thanks.

Oh yea, just found the thread from when I bought the ECU, the ECU is from a 1996.
Oct 15, 1996 ECU #37820-P2P-A32-921-206837

Last edited by eastbobdam; 03-23-2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ Bump
Old 03-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think that your monitors will not set bcuz the ecu cant monitor it correctly since u tricked the ecu..The engine control module (ECM)/powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the FTP sensor output voltage. The FTP sensor
output voltage rises as the fuel tank pressure increases. Conversely, the FTP sensor output voltage drops as the fuel tank
pressure decreases. If the FTP sensor output voltage is higher than a target value within a set time after starting the engine
in a cold condition, the ECM/PCM detects a malfunction and a DTC is stored.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:47 PM

ur ecu is bad bro have seen this incodent before driveability ok but wont complete monitors try to find a used ecu/ecm and retry. good luck !
Old 03-24-2009, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is good guys because it's giving me hope...you have no clue what I have been thinking/going through...just a few of my thoughts, sell the car (hell no), leave the car in my driveway till the emissions goes up and my year isn't included (lol, could take forever), pull the car off the road and then re-register it so it's not in the system and try to finagle a sticker (50% chance), etc.

Ok, getting back on point....I could have sworn I read somewhere that a certain year Del sol had a D16Y8 engine (SOHC) (1996-97?)that didn't come with a fuel pressure sensor...The best part of that statement is I can't seem to find the google search I did where this was talked about. Does anyone know if this is true? I figure I hunt down one of these not so popular ECU's and try it.

Option two, install a FPS and run the wires.

thoughts?

Thanks in advance for giving me hope again.

Last edited by eastbobdam; 03-24-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the ftp sensor isnt inside the fuel tank..its next to the Evap bypass sol. and valve..its a 3 wire sensor..one way to tell if your evap is working properly is to test the whole system which required a hand vacuum pump and a dmm...also checking all 3 of your solenoids to make sure they click
Old 03-25-2009, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ekb16
the ftp sensor isnt inside the fuel tank..its next to the Evap bypass sol. and valve..its a 3 wire sensor..one way to tell if your evap is working properly is to test the whole system which required a hand vacuum pump and a dmm...also checking all 3 of your solenoids to make sure they click
The sensor is under the hood? Would I still have one even though my Cx doesn't come equiped with the FTP tank? I am getting confused...do you have a pic of the location under the hood to check to see if I have this?
This was taken from http://technet.ff-squad.com/code91.htm

"Change the gas tank
This is the next best possible solution for alleviation of code 91. Swap out your gas tank for one respective your vehicle type, that has an FTP sensor. Such as running a 99 Si coupe fuel tank on a 97 civic CX or DX. You will more than likley have to wire in the FTP sensor along with adding the FTP equipped gas tank too."

I do have a DMM but what do you mean a vacuum pump? Can I use my shop vac or a real motor type oil pump with stages?

Thanks again.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok here is the picture

as you can see it is NOT inside the fuel tank like most ppl think..its is actually in the corner outside the tank next to the evap bypass sol. and valve...if i remember correctly there is 2 nipples on the FTP and 1 goes to the bypass valve (round thing in the picture) and the other goes to the canister...its been awhile since i looked at mine..my car is a 98cx and it has the exact same setup as in that pic above so urs should also be the same

if u look under the left rear of the car next to the lift point u should see a black cover that held on by 3 clips...remove those clips and the cover comes off and u should be able to see the ftp,bypass sol, and bypass valve just like the pic

Last edited by ekb16; 03-25-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome,so the next thing you want me to check this sensor? How exactly do I do it, can I use a regular shop vac with a DMM?

also, what about the ECU, do you know if a 1996-1997 Del sol came with this FTP sensor? I researched and found that the Del Sol came with a D16Y8 in one of the trims (I think S) but I am unsure if these years came with the FTP sensor. I believe it's the OBD2 P28 << Yes, this is a rare unwanted ECU because it's an OBD2 P28 and you can't tune it. People don't believe that P28 also came in OBD2.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just looked for FTP for 96 and 97 del sol and came up with nothing so i assume they didnt have FTP
Old 03-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that codes you got is for a High voltage FTP..i would try replacing that sensor or or checking the wireing on that..u could have a short somewhere in the circuit causing that code

one way to check the FTP sensor is:

Old 03-25-2009, 09:15 PM

true some ecm/s 96 & up don't have the circuit for ftp i know because my 97 ek4/civic doesn't have it neither does the 97 integra gsr but the only ecm that i found to bar my car was 98 speck gsr vehicel cirtified by califonia state with my gsr swap. further more my srt status always is compete even with mil/check engine light being on. ps not trying to cause any conflict with others info all info is good info. yeah!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's the whole thing, my car doesn't originally come with the FTPS, that's why I installed the potentiometer hack to create the 2.5V....I will double check to make sure the voltage is still holding. In the meantime, I was able to hunt a person down last week who should be sending my P28 OBD2 to me (still hadn't shipped it yet) so I can clear this up and move on in my life.

I really need my sticker....they were actually pulling cars over in my mothers neighborhood for stickers (end of the month after 5PM when shops close), thank god I had her work van.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I finally got a sticker today......Numerous hours of research and posting and keeping my fingers crossed helped. The solution for all mini me OBD2 cars that has the P0453 or code 91, you need a OBD2 P28, yes OBD2 P28 from a del sol Si years 96-97 only. I had two monitors not ready, catalyst and oxygen sensor. Mass allows two to not be ready so I passed. I actually hugged the ****ing guy...lol.

My sticker expired two months ago so when I got one printed today (4th month), it was for January (1st)..lol.

Quick Reply: FAILED inspection - twice for same thing [OBD not ready]