Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1992 Honda Accord - transmission problem

Old 01-06-2009, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 1992 Honda Accord - transmission problem

Tried using the search function but could get the thing to yield results no matter what I searched for. So I'm sorry if this has been addressed 10 billion times.

Went to get in the car last Friday and when I fired it up I notice that the circular light in the dash panel that identifies what gear you're in was not right. The light for Park (which is what I was in) and the light for D4 were both highlighted. I shifted to Reverse and the light went to to R but also stayed in D4. Everything else seemed to be normal. But then when I put it in D4 it seemed like I was in high gear (4th). I then manually shifted down into 1st and it was the same thing. Then went up into 2nd and noticed it had shifted down into 2nd.

I took it up the road in 2nd and when I got it up to about 3500 RPM's I manually shifted up into D3 and it went straight into 4th because you could notice by the RPM's and by the power that it skipped 3rd. So now my car only has 2nd, 4th, and Reverse.

She's got 275K miles so problems are to be expected but I fear the worse (tranny = toast). Anybody experienced the same thing?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Last edited by BamaBleach; 01-06-2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: 1992 Honda Accord - transmission problem

Originally Posted by BamaBleach
Tried using the search function but could get the thing to yield results no matter what I searched for. So I'm sorry if this has been addressed 10 billion times.

Went to get in the car last Friday and when I fired it up I notice that the circular light in the dash panel that identifies what gear you're in was not right. The light for Park (which is what I was in) and the light for D4 were both highlighted. I shifted to Reverse and the light went to to R but also stayed in D4. Everything else seemed to be normal. But then when I put it in D4 it seemed like I was in high gear (4th). I then manually shifted down into 1st and it was the same thing. Then went up into 2nd and noticed it had shifted down into 2nd.

I took it up the road in 2nd and when I got it up to about 3500 RPM's I manually shifted up into D3 and it went straight into 4th because you could notice by the RPM's and by the power that it skipped 3rd. So now my car only has 2nd, 4th, and Reverse.

She's got 275K miles so problems are to be expected but I fear the worse (tranny = toast). Anybody experienced the same thing?

The switch which verifys shifter / transmission position has failed
It is refered to as the:

"SWITCH ASSY., AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE GEAR POSITION"

#4 in the supplied link.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgr y2=1992&catcgry3=2DR+LX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=SE LECT+LEVER

$39.00 USD Majestic Honda

P
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Trial User

Icon2 Re: 1992 Honda Accord - transmission problem

i have exactly the same problem in my accord lx 1992. i took it to local honda dealership for diagnostic check and they identified a bad transmission control module. i wonder if it is possible to purchase a used/remanufactured one online.

thanks,
ki
Old 04-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha my transmission is toast it is just a 1999 with 90k on her.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I noticed the same problem with my 92 honda coupe. Im hoping to nail this issue, I need this car to run for my daily commute. Thanx guys for the 411.
laloquera916
Old 04-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Trial User

93 accord lx 2.2l
I've been fighting this problem for about 2 weeks now..I'll start off by saying I had my car on jacks replacing the lower subframe (front and back), when I got everything put back together my car ran great (I replaced the tranny/motor mount while I had it down). About a day later I noticed that when I turn the ignition to the acc position (stereo and blower motor comes on) that all check lights come on and go off..It shows that i'm in Park, once Itart the car the park light stays lit but the D4 light comes on, after about 2 minutes the D4 light flickers and a sound like a relay or switch (turning on and off real fast) is heard under the driver side dash. The voltage across my battery is high at 16.5V, thinking the voltage regulator in the alternator was bad I replaced it under warrenty and had the battery charged while I was installing that. It's still doing it and is making me wonder if the ICU, TCM...Honestly I'm not sure where to start looking next...please help I bought this car right off the showroom floor in 93 and it is my baby.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

P Adams, Thanx bro, just want to let you know that I nailed the issue. Thanks for your help.
Laloquera916
Old 04-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so it is for sure the gear postion switch
Old 07-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BUMP ....

I have a 1992 Honda Accord EX. The other day, the car had been sitting for two days in hot weather, I tried to start my car and it wouldn't turn over the first time. I tried it again and it started, but when I drove the car it wouldn't get out of first gear no matter how hard I step on the gas. Then the "D4" shift light started flashing. I pulled the car off to the side of the road and restarted it. The car started right up and the transmission was working normally. What caused that?

P.S. I have had some electronical gremlins such as the brake light dummy switch coming on periodically, but the brake lights work fine, the horn doesnt work sometime and the cigarette lighter not working most of the time. I have been told these problems are caused by a bad ICU.

Please help...I dont want to caught on the highway in first gear only.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: 1992 Honda Accord - transmission problem

I had the same problem with my 1991 Accord EX - stayed in 2nd gear or would shift normally till the car warmed up then would randomly downshift.
During a solid WEEK of work, I have replaced the TCM, the front and rear speed sensors, speedo control, even both sets of solenoids on the transmission.
After ALOT of frustration, time, and money... I finally broke down and bought a salvage tranny. Fixed all my problems.
I had the old tranny pressure tested and it failed miserably. As far as I know, pressure testing the fluid is the only way to trouble-shoot this shifting problem.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Trial User

Okay what if there is a clanging noise, especially when cold, coming from front when I open the hood it sounds like its near the belts. The Check Engine Light came on. I took it to a friend who has a diagnostic machine and it referred to the Transmission. He's not sure what the code meant, either transmission needed something or the switch. But the transmission seems to be fine. It is an automatic and doesn't slip or miss. The clanging noise is gone after it warms up.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by P_Adams
The switch which verifys shifter / transmission position has failed
It is refered to as the:

"SWITCH ASSY., AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE GEAR POSITION"

#4 in the supplied link.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...5=SELECT+LEVER

$39.00 USD Majestic Honda

P
I've been wrestling with an uppity transmission on my '92 Honda Accord for a couple months, and your suggestion is what finally fixed it. So thanks P_Adams!

My car was randomly either letting me use 1st and 3rd gears, or 2nd and 4th gears. Sometimes resetting the TCU (pull the radio fuse for 10 seconds) got it working right again, sometimes not. Sometimes it would misbehave for a while, and then get working again on its own. The D4 light stays on all the time when it's not shifting right.

I had replaced the capacitor and resistor in the TCU a year or two ago which solved the problem at the time, and again a couple months ago when it started acting up again, but this second time it didn't fix things.

So a couple weeks ago, after reading this tip from P_Adams, I pulled the "Switch Assy., Automatic Transaxle Gear Position" which is in the center console next to the shift lever, took it apart, cleaned it and replaced it. The transmission has shifted reliably since. My theory is that the TCU was getting the wrong signals from the gear position switch (because of corrosion) and going into safe mode.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update a couple months later: my transmission started having new shifting problems again. I ended up with a refurbished TCU from eBay which has solved the problem, at least for the last few weeks. If I were to do this again, I would replace all the capacitors, and any obviously bad resistors, on the TCU board right away when symptoms start to present.
Old 10-10-2022, 05:30 PM
Trial User

I have a Honda Accord lx 1992 it doesn’t shift from 1to 2 but D3 it jumps I have been told shift solenoid and just need a new tranny just seeing what ideas are out there.
Old 10-10-2022, 05:36 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by BamaBleach

so my 92 accord lx does that but it does shift from 1to 2 and 3D has a clunk. If I go to start in 4D it lags but it goes slow if I’m in 2 it goes fine