Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Why does my car crank and crank and crank before starting?

Old 01-14-2009, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why does my car crank and crank and crank before starting?

edit: just checked its actually a WHOPPING -35c here (or -31F)

wow one of the coldest days of the year for sure!

In any case if you're from thunderbay, you should be plugging in your car before you start it up. If you're starting it when it's very cold it's hard on the engine!

Last edited by t_mac; 01-14-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uhm have you checked to see if u have oil in ur plugs? if u have a bad spark plug tube seal itll definitely be hard to start and might die on occasion depending how many have oil in them...
Old 01-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^Nope.. but like I said not even the PREVIOUS owner ever changed the plugs. Something tells me that today when I got to buy new plugs, the old ones are gonna be prettttty bad.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just bought my new project bout 3 weeks ago and all the tips where burned off the plugs and had oil in #1 plug bad! changed VC gasket and new plugs and its running pretty good even with old *** cracked wires.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't forget about cleaning the throttle body too. Especially if you're saying it sometimes dies at stoplights. The carbon and oil from the PCV can dirty the throttle plate in a hurry.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ah good thinking! I'll clean the throttle body. I've heard you need to take the oil filter out and the pcv is under ther car?

arrocha- the car still ran and drove good and all that and got decent gas mileage?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

car ran ok wouldnt say gud when i first bought it. was sluggish and would stutter in stop and go traffic. highway ran ok as i drove it home about 30 miles when i bought it. still giving me some issues cause the wires are real bad so im going to change them when i get payed. my mpg have improved greatly but apart from changing the plugs i also changed out: air filter, fuel filter, changed oil, set psi on tires to 32f and 30r.
*i really dont want to do anything more as i plan going with a JDM b16 soon.

Last edited by arrocha87; 01-14-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

like ej8 tuner said CHANGE UR FUEL FILTER MINE ALWAYS DID THE SAME THING CHANGED PLUGS CHANGED WIRES I WAS STARTING TO THINK THE DISTRIBUTOR WAS MESSING UP, BUT THEN I JUST BOUGHT A FUEL FILTER CUZ IT WAS LIKE 12 BUCKS AND I HAD NEVER CHANGED IT, AND YEA IT WENT AWAY, AFTER A ACOUPLE OF CRANKS
Old 01-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh good stuff.. thanks guys.

Get this though.. autozone and advanced dont carry my plugs!! what kind of ngk arfe they? I will order online
Old 01-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and something that is pissing me off.

My car will idle in neutral just FINE as long as I'm coasting. The ***SECOND** my car stops rolling and I'm in neutral, the idle goes shitty and it dies. What. The. ****.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:48 PM

ok I think I got it, its the dizzy, you have an intermittent TDC sensor in the dizzy. My 89 si crx was crazy like that too, sometimes start right up sometimes crank crank no start, ended up replacing the main relay, the ecu etc, finally tracked it down to the ecu not seeing the right TDC position from the dizzy, swapped the dizzy and bingo worked like a charm every time.

This was just my cars case, but if the relay is good and wiring is good and spark plug gap is good and battery amp is good and ground cable to starter is good and battery terminals are clean and hot lead to starter is not frayed. I think you should check your dizzy next. Same issue with it falling on its self when you go to neutral under no load, the dizzy's TDC sensor forgets to register and the ecu can no longer "operate" not knowing if its on or where it is in the cycle, up down on 3 on 4 etc. So it dies not knowing what to do.

Under load with the rotor getting lots of spark the TDC sensor may be getting enough juice to send the signal to the ecu to keep running. But off load the spark voltage drops and the might be just enough under the TDC threshold to register. This is why sometimes you have to replace the ignitor module before replacing the dizzy as it is a lower cost repair item.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^Well I'll be a son of a bitch. That almost makes sense! But why if it's in neutral COASTING will it not die, but if it's in neutral NOT MOVING it will die? HOw the **** does the car know it's moving?

I'm thinking about buying a full msd ignition kit. It's kinda win-win. Better gas mileage, and it will all be new ****.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its possible that the coil and the ignitor inside the distributor are waring out. Did you try what some one said above, turn the key to on for a couple seconds then try turning the car on?? Only way to check fuel pressure would be with a gauge (obviously) but i don't think a shop would charge more than $50 to check fuel pressure, or you could buy the gauge for the same. Actually, check and see if the car has spark. Going to needs someones help, but take out a spark plug wire and hold the tip near something metal and if you have spark then you know the disty is fine.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lack of power or fuel? Maybe a new battery or fuel pump or clogged fuel filter?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I noticed that if I let the idle surge enough, eventually it evens out to like 300trpm's or so.. and will idle fine. Until I start driving or hit the gas, then it goes like crazy or it will die out.

I'm getting pissed.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I changed the plugs. They were denso irridiums.. all the plugs looked like this, and had gapping from ranges of .030-.035.. with the first plug left-most on the bank not even fitting ON THE GAPPER.. so less than .020.

But my idle is still ****ed up. I took it for a quick test drive and it didn't die on me, but it came verrrry close.

Was gonna get a fuel filter, but it's 30+ dollars from pep****s.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick update. I just drove it about 20miles or so, all city stop and go.. the car will not die anymore, but the idle drops real low for a quick second, then it maintains a nice 800rpm or so idle. Other than the initial drop WHEN I'M STOPPED (not in neutral coasting..), it's running decent. It seems MUCH peppier w/ the new plugs too.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea sounds like ur on the right path. how are ur wires? and wtf at the pep boys price? its like 11.99 at autozone.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^well strangely enough, autof*cks and advanced couldn't order my plugs or didn't have them in stock. Pepdummies did. The wires look to be in pretty nice shape and are 8mm aftermarkets. I'm THINKING about getting an msd ignition and new wires, but if it aint broken, i'm not gonna touch it! I'm gonna see how my car runs now w/ new plugs..

does the ecu have to re-learn w/ the new plugs? Maybe thats why it seems to slowly be running better? And what do you think of my plugs? Pretty shitty right?
Old 01-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea they look bad but atleast u stil had tips. mine were completely burned off. what plugs did u go with that auto z didnt have them? i just wen with basic ones. NGK GPs at 2.99 ea, i think the cheapest platinum ngks.

Last edited by arrocha87; 01-15-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

compression.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fryguy190
if it sits for a long time the fuel driains back into the tank....
That's exactly what it is. when you're under a quarter tank the fuel will gravity feed back into the fuel tank. when starting the car after letting it sit, hot or cold, the fuel pump will first have to pressurize the fuel system, causing extended cranking. just keep over half a tank in at all times and you shouldn't have this problem
Old 01-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 85_305
^Well I'll be a son of a bitch. That almost makes sense! But why if it's in neutral COASTING will it not die, but if it's in neutral NOT MOVING it will die? HOw the **** does the car know it's moving?

I'm thinking about buying a full msd ignition kit. It's kinda win-win. Better gas mileage, and it will all be new ****.
The ECU knows if you are moving through the same wire that goes to your speedometer... Its just a digital pulse from the speed sensor on the transmission. The idle rpm is different when you are stopped and when you are moving (usually much lower when you are stopped). Search the forums for resetting your idle rpm and you can usually eliminate idle problems.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by arrocha87
yea they look bad but atleast u stil had tips. mine were completely burned off. what plugs did u go with that auto z didnt have them? i just wen with basic ones. NGK GPs at 2.99 ea, i think the cheapest platinum ngks.
lol neither of them could get NGK ANYTHINGS for my car, pep boys had a few models in stock. I got the ngk r's, which have a copper core I believe and they were 2 bucks and change.

Originally Posted by cherroneballs
compression.
Originally Posted by brutekiller787
That's exactly what it is. when you're under a quarter tank the fuel will gravity feed back into the fuel tank. when starting the car after letting it sit, hot or cold, the fuel pump will first have to pressurize the fuel system, causing extended cranking. just keep over half a tank in at all times and you shouldn't have this problem
If I recall correctly, I actually made this thread after filling up my tank and it still did it. Strangely enough, it hasn't not started in a few days now. But i'll see if it worsens as the tank gets lower.

Originally Posted by tazeat
The ECU knows if you are moving through the same wire that goes to your speedometer... Its just a digital pulse from the speed sensor on the transmission. The idle rpm is different when you are stopped and when you are moving (usually much lower when you are stopped). Search the forums for resetting your idle rpm and you can usually eliminate idle problems.
Ahhhh... that explains a lot.

Now my next question is, if I adjust my base idle, wont my cold startup idle be set higher, and my neutral in-motion idle be higher??
Old 01-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got no gas ..lol