Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Here is a brain buster for a good honda tech

Old 01-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here is a brain buster for a good honda tech

Hi everybody just joined beacuse I had some issues and I have been pulling my hair out. My wife has a 94 DX 1.6 16 valve Civic. The other day she pulled into my work shut the car off and brought me something. As soon as she went outside to start the car up it wouldnt. Check engine light came on solid and car just turned and turned. I didnt hear any clicks in the main relay so I decided to replace it. Didnt do anything.. So next thing was the distributor. Put a brand new distributor in it still didnt fix the problem. So my buddy was telling me on how to check the engine light. The second you turn the key on the light comes on solid and then usual disappears when you hear the relay click. Well it just stays on. Now I found the two pin connector up in the dash, and jumped the two wires together with the key on and light didnt do anything still just stayed solid. So call up another guy and he says thats the sign of a bad ecm. So I go to a friends house where there is a 94 civic hatchback dx same engine also an automatic and borrowed his computer. Plugged it in still nothing. Light was still solid. So it ends up sitting in my garage overnight and the next morning I decide to try it again for the hell of it. Put the key in it and put it to on... light comes on I hear the relay click and out goes the light. I was like WTF?! So I turned it to start and it fired right up. Drove it for three or four days and tonight my wife calls me while she was driving the light came on solid and car just died immediately. Could this be anything to do with the ignition switch? I know the morning that I tried it for the heck of it and it worked I had to fiddle with my key for about 2 minutes to get it to even go to the on position do to my crappy remake key from a hardware store. Any possiblity using this crappy key could have done some damage? I checked the two wires on the harness connector for the main relay one has power all time and one ground all time. One does have all time power and the other has all time ground. I took a jumper wire and jumped all time power to the terminal that activates fuel pump and fuel pump kicks on. Put power to the terminal that makes the relay click on the first time and it clicked but nothing else happend. Just curious if anyone else had some ideas? The ignition key my wife has came with the car and it is different from the door. I think the key switch might of been replaced at one time??
Old 01-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Here is a brain buster for a good honda tech

Wrong section, but what all mods are on the car, or is it stock?
Old 01-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whoops could have sworn I clicked Civic. It is all stock I just reposted it in the civic section.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm gonna bet you have a dead ecu now
Old 01-20-2010, 03:24 PM
JCB
Honda-Tech Member

My car broke down on me this morning, and it is doing the same thing. I don't have an ignition switch problem though, or atleast not with the key turning. If you find something out let me know, and I will let you know if I find something before you figure your problem out.

Thanks