Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Difficult Dome Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:28 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficult Dome Light Problem

I have a '98 Accord LX. About a year ago the dome light stopped turning on when the doors open. The light can still be turned on manually, so it is not a problem with the bulb. Lights on the inside of the doors turn on when the door is openned, so it is not simply the door switch. This stumped my mechanic who thought it could be a problem in some computer, but he was hesitant to replace it because he wasn't sure... Any ideas about what this could be before I start paying for expensive diagnostics at a dealer? Thanks!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Difficult Dome Light Problem

That's a tough one, I was gonna say fuses but your lights still turn on. Have you tried all the doors when they open; or just the drivers side?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think its the switch at the dome light itself. try wiggling the switch and see if the light flickers. im guessing this part isnt very expensive and i usually dont like throwing parts at a problem but i would buy a new switch before you pay for expensive diagnostics.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my guess is somthing blew out the domelight output wire (part of the gauge cluster) like you said the switch turns the light on (rules out bulb & power) and door lights come on (rules out switchs). If you look it up in the safety indicators in the helm manual it will show the colors. Now the bad news is your mileage is stored in the cluster and in order to keep your mileage the EEPROM 93C46 (98-99) must be swapped .
Old 01-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think its the door jam switch. i think its the switch at the dome light that selects on-door-off.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Difficult Dome Light Problem

Pretty old thread, wanted to see if this issue was ever resolved?

I have a 98 Accord Ex, when the switch is on the "On" position the dome light lights up fine. The middle "Door" position has no effect though.

I've checked the connection on the base plate itself and everything seems solid. One "wht/blu" wire for the "On" position and a "blk/wht" wire for door activation. It even matches the Haynes manual so everything looks good on that end. Ground is supplied from the stud protuding from the roof, I even replaced both nuts from the dealer.

Furthermore, I checked each door sensor and they all work fine. Door panel bulbs light up fine when opened and they even indicate they're open on the dash.

Also, when I was checking the connections on the dome light I removed it completely and found a little corrosion from the copper contacts. They're now sanded and the contact is good, the "wiggle test" has no effect either.

The only thing I can think of at this point is continuity on the blk/wht wire since I DID have the headliner replaced at one point. And also the passenger multiplex unit. Does anyone know the proper voltage for a door opening, also is there any way to check a multiplex?

Suggestions?
Old 12-07-2009, 06:59 PM
New User

So, I talked a bit more with my mechanic about it and he was almost sure that the post from Stereo69 is more or less on target. The >$200 to replace it just to get the dome light to work when doors are opened was ultimately not worth it. It sounds like Filthypanda86 does have the same problem. Let me know if you are able to fix it! (and how much it cost you) Thanks.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It probably is the the safety indicator's printed circuit board damaged. Usually because of an aftermarket security system.
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's awesome how you found that image on guage removal and testing. I've been scourging the net for anything but keep coming up empty, I wonder where it's from.

I remember reading about that board behind the cluster sometimes getting damaged, I thought it was only 94-97's though. I still checked mine anyways, I read on a thread here on ht that if the board was indeed damaged it would be very noticeable. I didn't see anything, I'll have to try that ground test though. Also, it states it's for LX/DX, mdh111 would probably benefit much by trying the test in that image.

I have an EX and the wiring is different, I'm not sure if the black/white wire ever goes to the dash, I could be reading it wrong though.

Also, factory alarm is stock. Great help, any more suggestions welcome. Gonna try ground test tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redbull-1
It probably is the the safety indicator's printed circuit board damaged. Usually because of an aftermarket security system.
How do you ground the wire? Sorry, I am new to this...
Old 03-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Trial User

I think I'm having a similar problem. 1991 Honda Accord, dome light will come on when the switch is set to on, and occasionally when one of the rear doors open but never with the drivers side door open. Also I have no 'lights on' warning which unfortunately resulted in a dead battery the other day.

I'm assuming the door switches function because my automatic shoulder belts work correctly and I have correct indicator showing door ajar. For the life of me I can't figure this one out. Any ideas?
Old 06-15-2015, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redbull-1
What happens if the board is damaged? I just bought a 2000 Accord EX and it came with an aftermarket CompuStar alarm system. I am finding out that the previous owner did alot of his own electrical work adding mods. I am surprised the car hadn't caught fire when he owned it.

If the board is indeed damaged, how can I fix it so the dome light comes on when I open the doors?
Old 06-03-2016, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Figured it out. The passenger side MCU was damaged. Looks like whoever installed the aftermarket alarm connected the door open alert wire to the same ground blk/wht wire for the dome light. This most likely damaged the MCU. I went to the auto wreckers and pulled one out of a 2002 Accord, installed it, and now the dome light works perfectly. Cheap $20 fix and 20 minutes of my time
Old 12-06-2016, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so I've been all over the place looking for a solution to my dome light problem. Here's what I know...
When I open the drivers door, the dome light won't come on in the "door" position. (It works for every other door.) Also, the dash light for the door being open doesn't show. BUT, the courtesy light in the drivers door DOES work!
I got a new door switch and no change.
Again, all other doors work properly as well as the dome light.
So, where is the wire located that burnt out between the drivers door and the dome/dash light?
I have a 95 Accord EX.
I will repeat that it is NOT a bad switch or dome light! Even exchanging switches from another door that works has the same results. And the dome light works in every position, as well as all dash lights for each door other than drivers side front.
Someone PLEASE tell me exactly where I should be looking for the burnt wire or harness it may be burnt out of.
I did read this forum as far as it goes and saw that it may be a circuit board. I will look into that. So again, the dash indicator doesn't light up but the beeper works well when open. And NO DOME.
Also, I should add that this happened when I replaced a bulb with the door open and the switch to "door". The bulb arced at the switch, then no more dome on drivers door. And later I noticed the indicator light not on either. Remember, door courtesy light works fine as well as beeper.
Ty to anyone who can further shed some light (pun intended) on this!!!

Last edited by Jason Zukowski; 12-06-2016 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Oops...