Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1998 Honda Accord LX stalling when coming to a stop and while in park HELP PLEASE.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 04:37 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 1998 Honda Accord LX stalling when coming to a stop and while in park HELP PLEASE.

Ok, Here is the deal. I have a 1998 Honda Accord LX 2.3. Recently it started stalling out (quitting) when coming to a stop at a stop sign or traffic light. I followed other threads in here indicating ICAV and throttle body cleaning, a long with ERG valve Cleaning, and Main relay. My problem seems to be this. I start the car it runs great (normal) I don't have any rpm jumping. I have done all the maintenance on it. It was a third car for the family and now we are getting it ready for my son to drive. (mainly used on weekend trips to the store to keep it running). About 3 weeks ago, we did the normal tune up replacing the plugs cap and rotor and oil change. Car ran fine. About 2 weeks ago while teaching my son to drive this problem presented itself. It Quit while coming up to a stop sign. It started back up and we drove for a while then quit again. but it did it randomly, not every time. I assumed that it was something my son was doing to cause it at first. (Oh, Automatic Trans). Then it did it on me several times while taking a quick trip to the store. Car runs good, Idle is fine, it just seems once it warms up this problem presents itself. So I followed the treads and did a few thing for preventive measures. they are the following:
Cleaned the throttle body.
Cleaned the IACV. and check it. (unplugged it causes the engine to surge, plugged in idles fine).
Cleaned the EGR and ports.
Checked for vacuum leaks. None found.
I replaced the battery cables, both positive and neg.
I replaced the Main relay, According to threads they go bad and cause the same symptoms.
02 sensors were replace about a year ago when I got CEL indication and that was corrected.

I am not getting any CEL Codes as to what the problem may be.

Now the only other suggestion I have come across was that these accords and Honda's alike have a problem with the ignition switch causing the engine to quit and loose power. I have checked the switch by wiggling it around with the key in it and running to replicate the problem with negative results. I suspect this to be the problem, however its a pricy repair, and wanted to be sure before spending the money and having get no where. Is there anything else out there that any of you know will cause the car to quit like some one turned off the ignition once the car has warmed up. The idle doesn't change, it doesn't surge before quitting, it runs fine and then bam, it quits, and will usually start right back up within a minute. Occasionally, it doesn't want to start right back up but turns over. then after a few tries it will start and run fine as normal and then quit again. I may also note that it will also do this while in park just running. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks in advance
Old 01-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 1998 Honda Accord LX stalling when coming to a stop and while in park HELP PLEASE

Also I'm not sure how to check and EGR valve, but would assume that because it emissions related I would receive a CEL code. Am I wrong assuming this? I have heard that an EGR Valve stuck in the open position will do this, as it doesn't really function until the engine warms up to begin with. Is there a way to check it? or wait for a CEL Code?
Old 01-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 1998 Honda Accord LX stalling when coming to a stop and while in park HELP PLEASE

I also want to note, that according to my Vin # it is part of the Honda recall for the ignition switch. So I will be making a trip to the Honda Dealer to get it done, but wanted to make sure there was nothing else to cause the problem before I do.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a similar problem and it turned out to much oil was put into the car. Check that
Old 01-09-2014, 05:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the dash lights don't turn on when it quits it could be the ignition switch. It could also be the ignition control module. You mentioned about the rpm's jumping, if the rpms are acting erratic then it probably is the ignition control module.