Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

intake power

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake power

Well over I guess the past year. I've been expeirmenting with my short ram intake system. My first upgrade to it was my tie down with steel wire, to hold it tight so air coming in did'nt change. With that I made sure the pipe itself did'nr flex, which I felt an change. Though now, after cutting the pipe being I was going to connect the metal pipe to my oem box. I over cut and now I'm back to putting on my cone filter. As of now, I've cut the short ram about 3 inches having now an rough 12inches on pipe. I added an huge close 12 inch filter. And now I can say I've gained at least horse out of it. NOw when i go up hills my mph is much higher, being more top end power.
Any thoughts?
Old 12-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: intake power

Originally Posted by poland accord
Well over I guess the past year. I've been expeirmenting with my short ram intake system. My first upgrade to it was my tie down with steel wire, to hold it tight so air coming in did'nt change. With that I made sure the pipe itself did'nr flex, which I felt an change. Though now, after cutting the pipe being I was going to connect the metal pipe to my oem box. I over cut and now I'm back to putting on my cone filter. As of now, I've cut the short ram about 3 inches having now an rough 12inches on pipe. I added an huge close 12 inch filter. And now I can say I've gained at least horse out of it. NOw when i go up hills my mph is much higher, being more top end power.
Any thoughts?
By changing the length of either the Intake (or header primary tube) you can effect where the engine makes power. For example:
A shorter Intake makes better power at high(er) RPM's
A Longer Intake makes power at Low(er) RPM's
It has to do with Fluid Dynamics and Sonic Reversion Wave Theory

You may have lucked onto a 'sweet spot' that works for your application

P
Old 12-27-2008, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah well I've read articals before. Though, I don't know if anyone knows but, I 've read in honda tuning magizine about that cold air intaKES MAKE MORE POWER.
Any way I'm going to take pics of two diffrent setups so people will know. Whats good or bad for f seris engine. I have f22b2.Also, I must add some vids with short filter to longer filter.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're treading through heavily covered territory. Mr. Adams just covered it as plain as it gets. The only thing you need to consider now is that F-series motors don't naturally breathe well up top, and perform with better grunt down low.

I'll go one step further for you and tell you that your subjective 'butt-dyno' test are a result of losing mid-range, not actually gaining top-end power. Here's a dyno I performed myself between an AEM CAI with K&N filter and an AEM short-ram intake with no filter on a ~stock F23A1.

The red and blue lines are with the CAI, green is with the short-ram. You can even see how the short ram was flowing more air, but the mid range torque AND top end power suffered with the shorter intake.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AFAccord
You're treading through heavily covered territory. Mr. Adams just covered it as plain as it gets. The only thing you need to consider now is that F-series motors don't naturally breathe well up top, and perform with better grunt down low.

I'll go one step further for you and tell you that your subjective 'butt-dyno' test are a result of losing mid-range, not actually gaining top-end power. Here's a dyno I performed myself between an AEM CAI with K&N filter and an AEM short-ram intake with no filter on a ~stock F23A1.

The red and blue lines are with the CAI, green is with the short-ram. You can even see how the short ram was flowing more air, but the mid range torque AND top end power suffered with the shorter intake.
Thank you. Eliquent as always

P
Old 12-30-2008, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AFAccord

Thats not bad numbers for stock motor with just few simple upgrades!!