Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Random Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Random Misfire

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
115 is extremely low. The lowest you should see is around 130. Also, all cylinders should be within 21 PSI of each other at the MOST. I'd definitely say the low compression on cylinder 2 is causing the misfire. Either you've got a valve acting up or the rings are shot. I'd vote closer to rings due to you running a turbo.

You can use your compression tester to read things pretty easily. If you've got bad rings, you'll see the first bounce on the compression test read low, followed by it slowly building up to final compression. Your first bounce should be roughly half of the final number. Another way to tell if the rings are bad is if you put a tablespoon of oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and run the compression test again. If the numbers increase drastically most likely the rings are the culprit. If you just plan get low readings it's usually a problem with the valves not seating at the proper times or not seating at all. If you get no compression it's most likely a bent valve or valve stuck open.

Just to make sure - is the engine at operating temp when performing the test? Do you have the throttle wide open? Fuel/spark disabled? Do you have all the plugs pulled out? Battery pack on the battery or another car jumping the battery? These are all things that can show lower numbers if not done.

Essentially all the leakdown tester does is pressurize the cylinder and allow you to see how much it's leaking and where it's leaking to. You simply set each cylinder you're testing to TDC, then listen for where the air is leaking. IIRC 10% is normal leakage since no engine is perfect at sealing. Most of the time your leakage will be passed the rings, which is the reason that cars are fitted with PCV systems.
I did drive the car for 20mins and did the compression test. Should I step on the gas pedal while doing that? Also I took off all the wires off while doing the compression test.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Easiest way is to have someone crank the car for you so you can watch the gauge and have them also hold the throttle open. Good job on having the car warm, most people forget about that one. Make sure you've got the fuel disabled too, otherwise that will yield low results too due to the fuel washing out the cylinder. When I did my tests I just pull the ECU fuse and disconnect the distributor connector.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek9_Junkie
its ur map sensors its going out cuz my car does but it got to the point where if i use my old map sensor it bogs very bad so when i run without it i get engine light a lil back fire only becuz its running rich soo i think its the map or tps and if it was a spark plug or spark plus wire it would bog
How would the map sensor give a misfire
Old 01-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess a better question would be how the heck does a bad MAP sensor cause low compression on cylinder 2??? LOL!!!!!!