Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

2002 Honda Accord SE O2 Sensor Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Honda Accord SE O2 Sensor Issue

This is a little bit of what I've ran acrossed over the last few days and what I had to do about it to fix it. If you have experienced what I have explained below and still haven't gotten a fix, I have included what I did to correct the problem at the bottom.... FYI.

The CEL came on. I ran a diagnostic on it and got the dreaded P1167 code. I have replaced the O2 Sensor, first with a Bosch after market sensor and then with one from the dealer. The code kept coming back up within seconds of starting the car. I searched for a fuse somewhere that also could have needed to be checked/replaced for the heater element of the O2 Sensor to work properly to no avail. Actually, none were burnt. It is a 4 cylinder (F23A4). There are 2 sensors. Sensor 1 is the one in the front (before the catalytic converter). Sensor 2 is the one on the back of the engine (after the catalytic converter). Specific Description for the code was: HO2S Sensor 1 Heater Failure. I tried even disconnecting the battery and I have also reset the code with a diagnostic scanner several times to no avail. It just keeps coming back on. According to Honda, 36531-PAA-305 is the correct Honda part number of the sensor that I needed from them, so I purchased it and when I got home, I found out that it was 1/4" shorter that the Bosch 1 that I purchased. Both the Bosch and the one from Honda had to be stretched tight to be installed -- neither one worked correctly.

I visited the following website, http://www.densoproducts.com/product...ctCategoryID=2 and entered my vehicle information and located the part I needed. I ordered it for overnight delivery, replaced the O2 Sensor, cleared the code and voila, the code has now stayed clear.

The correct Denso Primary (heated) O2 Sensor for this make and model of vehicle is part number 234-9014. It's expensive but it's correct.

Just another good bit of info to pass on: F23A1 4 cylinder engines are VTEC. F23A4 4 cylinder engines are ULEV VTEC. You can tell which you have by simply looking at the top of the engine. It has large raised letters that will either show VTEC or ULEV VTEC. You cannot miss it. It does make a difference when purchasing a new O2 Sensor. An O2 Sensor for a VTEC will NOT work in a ULEV VTEC and visa versa. Apprarantly, Autozone and Honda both gave me the O2 Sensor for the VTEC engine when I needed the one for a ULEV VTEC. I even specified that I needed the one for ULEV VTEC and they both messed it up. That's what I call paying attention to detail.....Ha - yeah right!

A little helpful note to make sure you get the right one if you go to Honda or an auto parts store -- the overall length of the Primary O2 Sensor for the F23A1 VTEC is about 10 - 11". the overall length of the Primary O2 Sensor for the F23A4 ULEV VTECH is 13-14".

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Pooter05; 12-10-2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Additional Info regarding the 2 types of 4 cylinders.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:42 AM

very nice to know .. thanks a bunch.. i do have a 02 accord but its a v6.. hope to God i dont bump into this prob but this will be ample info
Old 04-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 2002 Honda Accord SE O2 Sensor Issue

This information has been most helpful. it's been at least a month with the engine management light on. It's a complete nightmare because i don't particularly know about cars or enjoy learning about them.

2002 Honda accord 2.0 se ex vtec, need to check which version.

4 garages on, 1 new non original sensor tried and I'm still no closer to whether it's the sensor for sure or something else. I've heard about the catalytic converter could be at fault or blocked, to expensive to bother with i was told, continued running it, had problems with low idle and possibly increased fuel consumption. Second garage trusted the reading for fault to sensor 1 pre cat but didn't seem convincing or certain it would be fixed. They eventually tried a new sensor which had no effect, they said go to Honda or get someone to check everything involved, fuses, electrical, air flow, filter etc,

3rd garage, said checked everything but recommended changing both o2 sensors with Honda originals, Honda quoted 500, fitted £202 each sensor, what a joke. Searching for an original sensor elsewhere isn't a simple task. I'm going to remove the sensor myself and have a look, see if it's identifiable, ask Honda about part numbers etc.

is this really the industry, only one type will work? it's denso the original part, I'll have to ask. still confused, i hope the 1 sensor changed will help, can't afford 2 originals, not worth it for a 2002 model Honda even if it's only 55k miles. Absolute nonsense.

With all the garages, computers, experience, i can't get a fair priced check and answer to a certain solution. We call this waste of time, progress. I guess if you don't have money to throw at dealers, careful where you shop.

Will update when i have some news, can't buy a new car because of a silly yellow light.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2002 Honda Accord SE O2 Sensor Issue

Yes, for the these Honda model of 4 cylinders and V6 engines -- 1998-2002, DENSO is the only one you should be buying.