Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG H22A Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG H22A Swap Questions

I have a few questions about an h22a swap im going to be doing soon.. just need to know if i need anything other than what i have... i have 2 egs.. one has a h22a in it and the other has the d16z6.. just going to swap both motors with both cars as my car is clean and problematic as everything has been replaced (perfect canidate) and the other is a sorry to say beater as its been hit every where and yea its just going to be a winter car... lol

questions...

1. Will the stock eg fuel pump work with the h22??

2. Is there any diy's for wiring harness as the h22a car has some hacked up wiring and where can i find that diy??

3. need help with the dizzy wiring, coil being external internal etc... as i seen theres a few ways of doing it..

Any help will be very much appreciated
Old 10-11-2009, 02:26 PM

Default Re: EG H22A Swap Questions

stock fuel pump works fine.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Emorales
stock fuel pump works fine.

Thanks!! I really didn't want to pull the tank now too.. lol
Old 10-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by x69tooshort69x
1. Will the stock eg fuel pump work with the h22??
I wouldn't recommend it. Try aftermarket walbro 255 or a stock prelude vtec fuel pump. Im pretty sure your going to get some lean mixtures with the stock fuel pump. Or upgrade to an adjustable fuel pressure regulator instead and do the fuel adjustments recommended in the prelude factory manual.

2. Is there any diy's for wiring harness as the h22a car has some hacked up wiring and where can i find that diy??
Not sure what your talking about. All h22a swaps will require do it yourself modifications to the engine harness. You best bet is to reuse the stock civic harness from your car and modify it to the h22a engine. I can get into details but let me know first what your planning to do or what you already have.

3. need help with the dizzy wiring, coil being external internal etc... as i seen theres a few ways of doing it..
If you have an eg, then most likely your original engine harness is obd1. If you have a jdm h22a engine, then most likely it will be an internal coil distributor. Which will most likely be similar to all B series distributors. But most usdm h22 engines come with external coil distributors. You can either go looking for a jdm h22 distributor (easiest way) or do the extra wiring yourself. I cant help you out there buddy.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:20 PM

I am currently running h2b stock pump running fine intake n exhaust only mods
Old 10-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am currently running h2b stock pump running fine intake n exhaust only mods
what car you running it in? I also have a h2b swap in my 97 civic hatchback. Was running lean so decide to get a walbro fuel pressure regulator and a adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Solve my problem after tuning
Old 10-11-2009, 04:47 PM

93 si... I would like to get it tuned soon just basic fuel map... I'm using the evo kit have you had any probs with ur clutch ?
Old 10-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

93 si... I would like to get it tuned soon just basic fuel map... I'm using the evo kit have you had any probs with ur clutch ?
thats why... the 93 civic si's already have an upgrade fuel pump as oppose to all the other civics besides the 99 civic si.. so you didnt have to worry about that.

As for the kit I am using a QSD kit.. Thank GOD I went that route.. I never had a problem ever. I heard you EVO guys have alot of problems with high reving and shifting? it could be the fork if I remember. I think Evo remade the kit with a slightly longer clutch fork.

Last edited by raidacaipo; 10-11-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:34 PM

Yea I can't go through the gears as fast lol... So far that's only prob I have... Oh and the motor sits a little low
Old 10-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Stock fuel pump is fine.
2. https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/%5Bfaq%5D-%2A%2A%2Ah22a-into-civic-eg-ek-information-post-all-h22a-hybrid-info-here%2A%2A%2A-650329/
3. How did you do it with the other car, since it's already wired up in there?

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
thats why... the 93 civic si's already have an upgrade fuel pump as oppose to all the other civics besides the 99 civic si.. so you didnt have to worry about that.
All '92-'95 Civic have the same fuel pump. Check any Honda parts website and you can see that the part numbers match. My friend has a 5th gen Civic with a turbo'd H22A, with the stock fuel pump, stock injectors, stock pressure regulator, and an FMU (yeah I know.... not good management), and doesn't have an issue with going lean. Your fuel pump was probably on it's way out.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
I wouldn't recommend it. Try aftermarket walbro 255 or a stock prelude vtec fuel pump. Im pretty sure your going to get some lean mixtures with the stock fuel pump. Or upgrade to an adjustable fuel pressure regulator instead and do the fuel adjustments recommended in the prelude factory manual.

Not sure what your talking about. All h22a swaps will require do it yourself modifications to the engine harness. You best bet is to reuse the stock civic harness from your car and modify it to the h22a engine. I can get into details but let me know first what your planning to do or what you already have.

If you have an eg, then most likely your original engine harness is obd1. If you have a jdm h22a engine, then most likely it will be an internal coil distributor. Which will most likely be similar to all B series distributors. But most usdm h22 engines come with external coil distributors. You can either go looking for a jdm h22 distributor (easiest way) or do the extra wiring yourself. I cant help you out there buddy.

I have the stock civic harness (Its a 95 DX, Auto Trans) and the other car with the h22a swap which is a jdm motor btw has a jdm h22a engine harness... all the wires inside the car are messed up, hacked etc so its too big of a project, plus the car being a beater in general is too much, so therefore im just pulling the motor and will swap my d15 into that car later after i swap the h22a into my car... yea its a obd1 civic engine harness.. the prelude engine harness i think is obd2 if i remember right... merging them together is fine, but i need color codes, and pics would be nice too etc.. ill worry bout the dizzy later as i want to get all the time consuming crap done first as winter is coming.. i will be parking it over winter tho so the car stays clean and well i wouldn't be able to drive her in chicago here with a h22a with out having two beaters... lol
Old 10-12-2009, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CivicSpoon
1. Stock fuel pump is fine.
2. https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650329
3. How did you do it with the other car, since it's already wired up in there?

All '92-'95 Civic have the same fuel pump. Check any Honda parts website and you can see that the part numbers match. My friend has a 5th gen Civic with a turbo'd H22A, with the stock fuel pump, stock injectors, stock pressure regulator, and an FMU (yeah I know.... not good management), and doesn't have an issue with going lean. Your fuel pump was probably on it's way out.
Thanks and well long story short.. my buddy bought the car for 2000 from IN and 3 days after driving it with it running/stopping/starting fine it started acting up... come to find that wires under the dash that shouldn't of been touched were hacked up, corroded etc.. the motor and trans are good, wiring needs alot of work... Now my wiring, motor, trans, car in general = great!!! the power = bad lol therefore its the perfect canidate for the h22a.. he knows im good with swaps, hondas etc but this swap will be a first for me so i need a lil help.. In other words i didnt wire it but i offered to rewire it.. its just that he doesnt have any money, and i cant spend all day doing that job.. so i rather throw it in my car, then later on throw my d15 in to that car when i have time to do the wiring.. i did drive it tho and let me tell you.. i almost hit my head off the windshield throwing her in reverse!! haha
Old 10-12-2009, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks and well long story short.. my buddy bought the car for 2000 from IN and 3 days after driving it with it running/stopping/starting fine it started acting up... come to find that wires under the dash that shouldn't of been touched were hacked up, corroded etc.. the motor and trans are good, wiring needs alot of work... Now my wiring, motor, trans, car in general = great!!! the power = bad lol therefore its the perfect canidate for the h22a.. he knows im good with swaps, hondas etc but this swap will be a first for me so i need a lil help.. In other words i didnt wire it but i offered to rewire it.. its just that he doesnt have any money, and i cant spend all day doing that job.. so i rather throw it in my car, then later on throw my d15 in to that car when i have time to do the wiring.. i did drive it tho and let me tell you.. i almost hit my head off the windshield throwing her in reverse!! haha

I just want to start over fresh as my car is all stock except for exhaust... it will prevent and solve any and all problems.. thats just the way i always did it so everything works out great and if not i know most likely what to look for ya know? hes just a lil special, but thats why hes in this position.. if he only had a lil experience money and time.. hed have a BA car.. even tho he got a great deal.. i give him that!!!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man auto engine harnesses are a pain in the ***.. Well lets see.. Ill send you this diagram. Im assuming that your civic has no vtec therefore you need to make some modifications to the engine harness. This is your wiring diagram for your vehicle:

http://www.phearable.net/tech/wiring...schematics.gif

Now these are the mods you need to do in order to have a vtec engine harness that will work for almost any B series or H series vtec motor.

http://www.phearable.net/tech/wiring/wiring.92-95.jpg

Heres what you do: Get the scrapped up engine harness off the h22a. Cut those plugs that you need. The ones you may need are these:

http://rywire.com/store/faqdesk_info...6e410182f6c602

Now take your Civic engine harness and plug as many connectors to the sensors on the h22a motor as you can. This will be the process of elimination so you can determine which plugs you will need to cut and solder.
*The plugs that you usually dont need to cut because its already on your civic harness should be the throttle position sensor, fan switch, map sensor, coolant temperature, and tw sensor. So try and plug those into your h22a motor. (again look at the above diagram)

Suggestion: You have a obd2a h22a motor? try and convert it to obd1 so it will be much easier for you. This means that the only modification need on the h22a motor would be changing the injector plugs to obd1 with a resistor box and the distributor to a obd1 unit from any jdm h22a motor.

*Avoid the external distributor coil units because its a pain in the *** for wiring. Get the internal distributor coil which usually comes of all jdm h22a engines.

*Injectors: there are 2 solutions.
1. Change the injectors to a obd1 unit from any jdm h22a motor. Make sure you also get a resistor box to wire it. Heres the wiring for the resistor box.

http://www.phearable.net/tech/wiring/resistorbox.gif

2. Keep the obd2a injectors, and change the sensor plugs instead. Its a simple cut and solder method. Match the colors correctly. You can take the sensor plugs from your hacked up obd2 h22a motor. (this method doesnt require a resistor box)

*Distributor: 2 solutions
1. Change the obd2a distributor from the h22a and swap it for a obd1 jdm h22a distributor. These are internal distributor coils. Avoid the external distributor coils which usually come off all usdm h22a motors. So avoid USDM h22 motors.

2. Keep the obd2 distributor but change the pin diagrams to obd2a. Using the hacked up h22a obd2 distributor sensor, cut and solder one by one.

http://www.phearable.net/tech/wiring...istributor.jpg

* if you do this method and use this diagram, let me know first because there is a mix up on the wire colors which I had to learn the hard way.

I will send more info once you decide what you want to do.

Heres a great site for reference:
http://www.phearable.net/tech/

And please, please, please read this one:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650329

Have any more specific questions just ask me