Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

orange triangle and tcs light help...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default orange triangle and tcs light help...

Guys, newbie here. please advise im trying to help one of my wifes friends who has a 03 accord v-6 lx(?) she has a warning light on the dash in the shape of a triangle with an exclamation mark in the center, and the tcs indicator is lit on the dash as well. my wife got me into this to try to help a friend out , sure y'all know how that is.... i have scanned it and the code reader keeps saying that the brake level is low.?it has plenty of fluid i checked the connector on the side of the master cyl. but there is no power going to it, all fuses are good- i even checked the emergency brake switch(other than coke spilled on it it was okay)and cleaned it with contact cleaner. and the tcs light does not go on or off with the press of the switch on the dash. also the brake switch on the pedal is new as well. the otrher problem is her power steering is squealing when the car is cold, we put a new serp belt on hoping that would help, but it still sqeals when cold....any ideas / advice is appreciated. sorry for the noob ?'s did a search but not clear as to what to throw at it next thanks Britt
Old 12-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The orange triangle with the exclamation point is the TCS Activation Indicator, and the other is the TCS indicator. When both are on, it means there is a problem with the traction control system. There is no easy DIY fix. I wasn't able to locate any known Honda Technical Service Bulletin for this model year related to any common problem with the TCS.

Regarding the belt squeal when cold, if the belt has been changed, then it can possibly be that the belt tensioner may need to be replaced.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing you can try is to remove the brake reservoir cap and see if the switch is sticking.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redbull-1
One thing you can try is to remove the brake reservoir cap and see if the switch is sticking.
the switch is not on the cap, it is built into the brake master cylinder reservoir

you are not able to purchase it separate from american honda you have to purchase the entire brake mastercylinder and reservoir as one unit.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:24 PM

Guys,thanks for the ideas....she has had the master cyl replaced(?) so she says....is it possible to reach the switch by reaching into the resivour? or maybe pump the fluid out to get to it? by the way , the car only has 67000 miles on it. seems early for brake tcs issues, as well as a worn belt tensioner. although i will check that out. she is original owner of car also. thanks again, keep the ideas coming. I'm better on antique volkswagens (1969) than i am on these computerized newer cars.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by britt
Guys, newbie here. please advise im trying to help one of my wifes friends who has a 03 accord v-6 lx(?) she has a warning light on the dash in the shape of a triangle with an exclamation mark in the center, and the tcs indicator is lit on the dash as well. my wife got me into this to try to help a friend out , sure y'all know how that is.... i have scanned it and the code reader keeps saying that the brake level is low.?it has plenty of fluid i checked the connector on the side of the master cyl. but there is no power going to it, all fuses are good- i even checked the emergency brake switch(other than coke spilled on it it was okay)and cleaned it with contact cleaner. and the tcs light does not go on or off with the press of the switch on the dash. also the brake switch on the pedal is new as well.
The traction control system is hooked up to the ABS system because part of the way the system works is it will apply the brakes to a wheel that is spinning faster than the others and it also will reduce the amount that the throttle is open to make the car regain traction. And since you said that there is no power going to the brake fluid level switch you found your entire problem. The next step is to find where the power wire is pinched or cut and to replace the wire and then to clear to codes and see if the TCS and triangle light come back on. If they don't you fixed the car.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:40 AM

#1 fix. if your car is still under warranty bring it in and tell them to change the modulator/abs control unit. if not, your looking at some big bucks.
#2 fix. your power steering is making noise when cold because the o-ring on the power steering pump inlet pipe is sucking in air. replace this o-ring. bleed the system.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: orange triangle and tcs light help...

Originally Posted by britt
Guys, newbie here. please advise im trying to help one of my wifes friends who has a 03 accord v-6 lx(?) she has a warning light on the dash in the shape of a triangle with an exclamation mark in the center, and the tcs indicator is lit on the dash as well. my wife got me into this to try to help a friend out , sure y'all know how that is.... i have scanned it and the code reader keeps saying that the brake level is low.?it has plenty of fluid i checked the connector on the side of the master cyl. but there is no power going to it, all fuses are good- i even checked the emergency brake switch(other than coke spilled on it it was okay)and cleaned it with contact cleaner. and the tcs light does not go on or off with the press of the switch on the dash. also the brake switch on the pedal is new as well. the otrher problem is her power steering is squealing when the car is cold, we put a new serp belt on hoping that would help, but it still sqeals when cold....any ideas / advice is appreciated. sorry for the noob ?'s did a search but not clear as to what to throw at it next thanks Britt
Did you solve the problem with this vehicle? My wife's mom has this same car and same problem. She took it to the dealer and they said it what the brake fluid level switch. So the master cylinder needs to be replaced. http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldata/AF...93627/56246274
* Remove the brake fluid completely from the reservoir. With the float down, there should be continuity.
* Fill the reservoir with brake fluid to the MAX (upper) level (A). With the float up, there should be no continuity.
Which wire should show voltage on connector? I see blk and grn/red. Also if you know of instructions on how to replace the master and bleed it properly let me know.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jdeemseerx
#1 fix. If your car is still under warranty bring it in and tell them to change the modulator/abs control unit. If not, your looking at some big bucks.
#2 fix. Your power steering is making noise when cold because the o-ring on the power steering pump inlet pipe is sucking in air. Replace this o-ring. Bleed the system.
+1
Old 08-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I also have the triangle with explanation mark come on first thing when I turn on my car followed by a TCS light afterwards. Both stay on solid. This all happened when I took my car to a local car shop and had my Condenser and AC lines replaced. They claim that they and to remove the battery for access. When I took it back to the shop they said that they called the dealer and that the dealer would have to "reprogram" the ECM. Anything that I can check before I put myself at the mercy of the dealer? I know the dealer want over $100 just to reun diagnostics.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by danielm213
I also have the triangle with explanation mark come on first thing when I turn on my car followed by a TCS light afterwards. Both stay on solid. This all happened when I took my car to a local car shop and had my Condenser and AC lines replaced. They claim that they and to remove the battery for access. When I took it back to the shop they said that they called the dealer and that the dealer would have to "reprogram" the ECM. Anything that I can check before I put myself at the mercy of the dealer? I know the dealer want over $100 just to reun diagnostics.
Check with a local garage they might be able to do it little cheaper.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xpehbam
Check with a local garage they might be able to do it little cheaper.
Is there any reason to remove the ABS module to install new AC lines and a condenser? Any suggestions?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by danielm213
Is there any reason to remove the ABS module to install new AC lines and a condenser? Any suggestions?
Problem solved. The shop disconnected the battery and long story short they did a tcs pressure sensor neutral position memorization. TCS light and triangle with explanation mark is gone.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Big letters say: do not press the brake pedal.

I left the pins jumped (connected), turned the key, ABS light was off, I pressed "TCS off", then ABS light was on, again I pressed the "TCS off" button and nothing happened... ABS began to blink error 84 again.
I tried to jump pin 9 with just ground, but nothing changed...

RESOLUTION:

But few days ago I have fixed the problem myself without Dealer Scanner!
First of all you need to clear ABS errors (that is the main problem why i have failed earlier).

1) Jump pins 4 and 9.
2) Press and hold the brake pedal and switch on the ignition.
3) Wait for the ABS light to turn off and then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
4) Wait for the ABS light to turn on, then press and hold the brake pedal again.
5) ABS light should turn off, then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
6) Wait for two flashes of ABS light. If it flashes it means that errors are erased.

Check the errors (with the pins jumped) - just turn the ignition on, if ABS light does not flash, no errors are in memory.

Now the main part.

TCS neutral position setting

Do not touch the brake pedal anymore.

1) Jump pin 9 to 4
2) Turn the ignition on, after ABS light turns off, quickly press the "TCS off" button.
3) After ABS light turns on again, quickly press the "TCS off" button.
4) Now shoud be a lot of different blinks and fashes and all lights ABS, TCS and triangle should turn off. The problem's solved.
5) Open the beer bottle!
The following 2 users liked this post by hondahybrid84:
Old 10-14-2019, 08:30 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by hondahybrid84

I left the pins jumped (connected), turned the key, ABS light was off, I pressed "TCS off", then ABS light was on, again I pressed the "TCS off" button and nothing happened... ABS began to blink error 84 again.

RESOLUTION:

First of all you need to clear ABS errors (that is the main problem why i have failed earlier).

1) Jump pins 4 and 9.
3) Wait for the ABS light to turn off and then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
4) Wait for the ABS light to turn on, then press and hold the brake pedal again.
6) Wait for two flashes of ABS light. If it flashes it means that errors are erased.

Check the errors (with the pins jumped) - just turn the ignition on, if ABS light does not flash, no errors are in memory.

Now the main part.

1) Jump pin 9 to 4
2) Turn the ignition on, after ABS light turns off, quickly press the "TCS off" button.
4) Now shoud be a lot of different blinks and fashes and all lights ABS, TCS and triangle should turn off. The problem's solved.
5) Open the beer bottle!
Thank you for posting this! My local mechanic recently replaced the broken engine air intake hose on my 2003 Honda Accord V6. He then went through a clear all codes procedure (not sure why he needed to) using a diagnostic tool (sorry I don't have the tool model information). After that the triangle light with the exclamation mark would come on after ignition. After driving a short distance the TCS light would come on. Both lights would stay on until engine is turned off. My mechanic tried hard (I left the car to him for a day) to clear the lights with no success. It worked only after I used both of the procedures you posted! I had tried another posting of just the second part of your procedure and it did not work. I used a short piece of wire (~8 inches) cut out from a power adaptor for something I no longer use. I thought this might be a bit easier than a paper clip. Again, thank you very much!
Old 12-15-2019, 08:35 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=hondahybrid84;50820545]Big letters say: do not press the brake pedal.

RESOLUTION:

1) Jump pins 4 and 9.

Now the main part.

1) Jump pin 9 to 4
5) Open the beer bottle![/QUOTE
Are you referring to the obd2 pins being jumped??
The following users liked this post:
Old 05-19-2020, 08:29 PM
Trial User

[QUOTE=Eric Thome;52067722]

RESOLUTION:

1) Jump pins 4 and 9.

Now the main part.

1) Jump pin 9 to 4
[/QUOTE
Are you referring to the obd2 pins being jumped??
You’re a legend. The computer guy could not clear it with his computer and I fixed it with a wire! Thank you so much for the corrected instructions 😊
Old 05-04-2023, 04:40 PM
Trial User

just wanted everyone to know, had triangle. the bottom portion worked. I too had to do it 5 times to get it right. i think i miss understood ignition on. initially i was starting it, not just on. thank you. the thread that keeps on giving!
Old 04-05-2024, 12:12 PM
Trial User

RESOLUTION:

1) Jump pins 4 and 9.

Now the main part.

1) Jump pin 9 to 4
5) Open the beer bottle!
You’re a dam hero! Worked flawlessly!