Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: B-series transmission teardown/rebuild tutorial

^^^ You got a picture of it?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's the oiling trough. It'll have at least one tab (usually two) that will fit into the transmission housing with the opposite end fitting up into the transmission housing up by the input shaft bearing opening.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. I have found more info here on this thread than i have found anywhere else. I have read thru to try to find an issue similar to mine, and came close, but not exact.
I recently bought a 92 civic hatchback, that has a 2000 gsr motor and manual trans back from a very good friend that i had sold the car to a few years back. He has done many upgrades to it, but became burnt out. So when i bought the car about a week ago, i had to install the head, and that was about it, that all went well, and is waiting to be sent to get dyno tuned. He rebuilt the transmission with a stage 2 synchrotec kit, that is now not going into gear. I just spoke with him, and he said that he had no problem getting it in and out of gear after the build and installation. although, about two weeks after he installed it, it "just quit going in and out of gear", which leaves me at the point im at now. The shifter will not hardly move, and im not really sure what gear it is in, but the hondata says its in 1st gear. its up in the air now, and when i let out on the clutch with it running, the tires do not spin, nor does it sound that its under any bind. the tires spin pretty freely without the clutch engaged. i checked the shifting arm and under the shifter, theres no bind there, but it just seems that where the shifter extension arm hooks to the tranny is not moving very much at all. I have changed and bled the slave cylinder, the car has a new clutch and flywheel also if that is any info that may help get me a responce that can lead me in the right direction on how to better determine what i need to do. If any of you guys could help me with any info to this matter, it would be greatly appreciated. LOL, its really a bad feeling to have this built turbo'd car sitiing here..running...and not be able to drive it to log some data to better tune it myself..lol.....Hellllp...please??...thanks guys..
Old 02-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should tell your buddy to never touch a transmission again. If it physically isn't moving the shift rod at the trans, there is certainly an issue with the rebuild.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Trial User

lol, theres a few things id like to tell him.....alright, its moving a little, but not much. So, just go ahead and drop the trans out, for further repair, or what say you?? And, how confident should your rebuild info you posted make me, lol, cause after going thru it, it took alot of the fear out of it for me??? What would you suggest from here??
Old 02-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Trial User

could something with just the clutch install be causing that you think??
Old 02-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A clutch issue won't affect that shift rod's movement.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Trial User

lol, of course it wouldnt..lol....as luck would have it though, i was just talking to a trans tech at a local acyra dealer, and he quoted me the price for the dealership rebuild, and then quoted me his price, lol...so im Really happy with that, cause i have NO business opening up a trans and playing with shiney parts AT ALL..lol...good write up though man, and thank you for your guidance...have a good day sir
Old 02-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Took apart my first transmission the other night with help from this thread. Found out it's an old J1 B16 Cable trans. Ordering the rebuild kit for it so I can throw it in a friend's B16 swapped DA and have my GSR trans back to rebuild that for my F2B DB1. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Who the fack changed my title?!

Originally Posted by GSR-EgHatch
lol, of course it wouldnt..lol....as luck would have it though, i was just talking to a trans tech at a local acyra dealer, and he quoted me the price for the dealership rebuild, and then quoted me his price, lol...so im Really happy with that, cause i have NO business opening up a trans and playing with shiney parts AT ALL..lol...good write up though man, and thank you for your guidance...have a good day sir
dam, shoulda got to you sooner, depending on where you are located i coulda done the work myself depending on what the issue was(or is if it has been already opened up)
Old 11-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bringing this back up. I haven't been able to find a clear enough solution to my problem. How far left/right is the shift rod supposed to move? I rebuilt my GSR YS1 and it seemed to back together fine. The main shaft spins fine & the shift rod moves fine front/back but I didn't think to move it left/right before reinstall which is pretty aggravating. Somethings not right. It feels like its only moving through 1st/2nd or 3rd/4th and definitely not moving to 5th/R. I'm pretty sure I know I'll be pulling it again but is there any conceivable way to fix this with it still bolted to the engine? What did I miss on reassembly? Thanks in advance. Great thread
Old 11-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you didn't have too much trouble closing the case up, you shouldn't see much issue moving the trans around through the neutral area. Even if 5/R wouldn't engage, you should at least be able to move it over to those gates. If you can't, pull it back apart.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW! The amount of great information here is amazing! Definitely going to save this for later!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Honda Bull
If you didn't have too much trouble closing the case up, you shouldn't see much issue moving the trans around through the neutral area. Even if 5/R wouldn't engage, you should at least be able to move it over to those gates. If you can't, pull it back apart.
In case anybody else has a similar problem in the future.

I forgot to add the 12mm washers to the shift fork set bolts during reassembly (The 2 with the steel ball & spring). From the looks of it I went a little crazy re-torquing the bolts as well. The end of the bolt flared a bit and the steel ball was in a bind with the bolt & shift fork which wouldn't allow up/down fork movement. I just ground the flare back down, re-torqued it by hand and that was that. Glad I looked before pulling it back out...again
Old 12-02-2012, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great write up this is going to save me
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

THANKS . I hope I can do this.. •_•
Old 02-25-2013, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Appreciate the writeup, its gonna help me when I try to rebuild my tranny.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is the best thread i ever seen
Old 04-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

THANKS FOR THIS TUTORIAL, YOU ARE THE BEST OF THE WORDL
Old 04-19-2013, 06:50 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jusst used this to teardown my LS..

Good stuff! I know its late, but thx Bull
Old 05-08-2013, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys sorry to bump an old thread but im in real need of advice before i make a decision.

First of all thanks so much for the great write up, it is so complete and explained in perfect English, cannot thank the OP enough, really. Well done!

I have rebuilt an S9B transmission (bought second hand) using a synchro tech full synchro and bearing rebuild kit.

Everything went fine when i originally teared it apart and reassembled, everything went together fine but i had no reverse, couple of weeks later i ripped it off the car again to look at the 5th/reverse synchro sleeve, it was shagged so i modified it with a carbide grinding disc. Got reverse back wa-haay.

Only thing i did wrong when i put it back together the second time was..... Put the two spring bolts in the wrong holes (must of fluked it first time around) 1st and 2nd were solid, all i did at the time was loosen the one bolt half of turn i drove it for 100 miles like this then noticed it was slightly leaking oil.After that i took the two bolts back out, the first and second bolt was mushroomed so i pryed it out and repaired the flare with the grinder. Now i have the bolts in the right holes all the gears are fine with the exception of second. It just grindes away and is worse at higher RPMs, it was not like this when i first had it back together with no reverse i did 350 miles and it never once grinded into second.

My big question is have i upset the selector rod by forcing the ball bearing into it so hard that i flared the bolt and fucked something up?

If i have upset something what do you think it will be?

I will be looking into it in a few weeks just need some time to cool down and gather my thoughts, my guess is that because i drove it 100 miles with the bolt in too far but not far enough to lock up the selector shaft that it was engaging the sleeve over the synchro ring at a funny angle, now i have rectified the problem it doesn't like being straight.

Really hope i can sort this out without it being a major expense, will find out soon but id love to hear your thoughts and theories so that if i can buy a replacement part before i strip down again i can.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Trial User

I just bought a 2004 Honda Civic EX with a 5 speed 1.7 liter engine. When the clutch is released, it growls pretty loud, even when going down the road. I took it to a trans. shop and had them test drive it. They said it sounded like the throw-out bearing. Shifts nice, no syncro issues, etc. I bought the car.

Replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing. When I took it out, the throw-out bearing seemed to "growl" when I spun it by hand. With all this information, I put it all back together and it is doing the same thing!

Any ideas? Input shaft bearing? How hard would this be to change?
Old 05-09-2013, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RiddleTeam
I just bought a 2004 Honda Civic EX with a 5 speed 1.7 liter engine. When the clutch is released, it growls pretty loud, even when going down the road. I took it to a trans. shop and had them test drive it. They said it sounded like the throw-out bearing. Shifts nice, no syncro issues, etc. I bought the car.

Replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing. When I took it out, the throw-out bearing seemed to "growl" when I spun it by hand. With all this information, I put it all back together and it is doing the same thing!

Any ideas? Input shaft bearing? How hard would this be to change?
Yes, these main shaft bearings do fail and are commonly diagnosed as throw out bearings. Too bad the trans shop did not know how these parts work. Opening the trans and changing the bearings is not bad to do if you are mechanically inclined. I'd suggest getting an oem manual and check out the tutorials here for a general guideline.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wanted to bump this excellent thread. Made my first dive into a transmission a lot easier.

I also wanted to add a tip that helped me on reassembly. I threw a zip tie around the the shift tabs on the forks to hold them all in place while I set the whole assembly into the case. 1 person, 1 shot, everything was lined up and dropped right in.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello All,

I finally pulled it apart. I found that the 2nd gear on the mainshaft and countershaft is toast. All the teeth are missing on the countershaft and some on the mainshaft. Both will have to be overhauled. I will try to include pictures.

Quick Reply: B-series transmission teardown/rebuild tutorial