Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1997 4cyl auto wont start (wont crank)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 4cyl auto wont start (wont crank)

So I'm driving my Accord the other day and I just happened to notice the tach just stopped working and went to ZERO. I was like WTF? The car continued to work and run fine... it didnt stall, sputter, nothing wrong at all except tach suddenly stopped working. A few min later I arrive at my destination, and shut the car off. I then thought I better see if it will start (just had a feeling that something more was wrong since the tach stopped like that), and sure enough I went to start it back up, and NOTHING. It wouldnt crank at all. Acted like it does with it wouldnt start if it wasnt in Park... but it was. So I end up having it towed back to the house and I started trouble shooting where I could... heres what I have figured out thus far:

* Checked all ground wires that I could find and everything seems intact.
* Confirmed its not the battery or the alternator
* It has the symptoms of having a bad ignition switch relay, but the tach not working doesnt fit this narrative.
* All fuses check out ok.
* I hear the 2 'clicks' and the fuel pump does come on for 2 seconds like it should when the key is turned to the 'on' position.
* All other electrical components of the car work fine, EXCEPT for the power windows and the moonroof.
* The dash lights do NOT come on like they should (the check engine light, SRS light, Brake, light,etc) when the key is turned to 'On'. BUT, the Battery light does.

I've located the starter cut relay and want to try jumping 2 connections in it, but not sure which wire does what and dont want to make things worse but getting it wrong... I see 2 large wires... 1 big wire that is Black and White, 1 big wire that is White and Red, 1 small wire that is Green, and 1 small wire that is Black and Green. Are these the ones going to the start relay?

Anyone ever experience anything like this and can help me out with any advice?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2016, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1997 4cyl auto wont start (wont crank)

Found this on another forum:No Start - 1995 Honda Accord
I just recently had this problem and resolved this in a matter of less than an hour. After reading on this issue, I took steps on how to remove the ignition assembly in order to see what could be wrong. You may find some instructions over the internet just like I have. There is a component piece in between the lock assembly and the wiring harness. The piece that I speak of is actually the ignition switch and it is attached to the lock assembly by small screws. The ignition switch is the problem that you are experiencing. Inside it are small metal plates that enable to car to start when you turn the key, and the spot where the key falls into after turning it into the start position is burnt out and that is why the car just dies. Unfortunately you cannot do anything about it but to replace the ignition switch. If you look for the part in your local auto part store, it should cost you around $55 or less as I have seen. What I would suggest is that you go to your local auto salvage yard, self-service recommended, and find an Accord there to take the part from. It will be cheaper to get it used rather new just as I have done. It's what you want really. If you have already solved this problem otherwise, that's okay. It's good to share the knowledge and pass it around. I hope you may be able to use the information I have given you.

Last edited by tech8; 09-23-2016 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Deleted link to copyrighted material.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, but I am stil trying to figure this out.... Lose of tach signal, then it wont crank and no dash lights when its turned to the on position... these 2 things seem to be unique to whatever is my issue is. Finding variuous troubleshooting tips and flow charts on line dont seem include these 2 things. grrrrrr....
Old 09-19-2016, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so this is the starter cut out relay. 4 wires, and the large white with red stripe goes hot with 12.54 volts when the key is turned to the CRANK position.... so am I assuming correctly that the starter is being energized (as it should) when it is in the cranking position? THis means it has to be either a ground somewhere that is not making good contact (even though I have checked and re-checked them) or the starter is locked up. (I have tapped on it repeatedly.) BUT... that still doesn't explain the lack of dash lights when key is turned to the on position, nor the reason the tach suddenly stopped working right before I shut the car off, nor why the power winddows and moonroof arent working either. THis is really strange...
Old 09-19-2016, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Really think you should check your ignition switch, since you aren't getting power to your accesories. Attached is a wiring diagram, however. Refer to the link I provided and you can download your service manual.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hope this helps out, let me know.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-22-2016, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Interested if you figued it out.