Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

'96 H23A prelude 4 CEL codes, is my ECU failing?

Old 11-03-2008, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 H23A prelude 4 CEL codes, is my ECU failing?

Like the title says, I'm getting four codes:

P0108 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit High Input

P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction

P1508 Idle Air Control (IAC) System - Low RPM

P1297 Electrical Load detector circuit input low.

I've replaced the VSS, checked the wiring, all good. Problem had gone away after I did a repair on another part of the vehicle, now has returned.

IACV has been changed, problem persists.

MAP sensor fault is new

Electrical load fault is new too.

A couple of months ago my timing belt broke. It was a used car, I should have known better and replaced it considering it had 130k miles when I got it. 14 of 16 valves needed major work. I did everything except the valves myself. I got it all back together, car started, and ran well except for an idle problem.

Prior to the blown timing belt, my car had an idle bounce, not unlike the ones so often posted about on here. I figured it to be my FITV, so i replaced it while I had my intake manifold all apart.

The car all back together had a more intense idle bounce. It would aggressively bounce from 1000 RPMS to 2400-2500. Strangely enough, blocking the air intake to the IACV a bit managed to get the idle to steady itself and run almost normal, but still around 1000rpms. It no longer bounced though.

Another fine example of my inexperience, I took my car to a honda dealer to have them try to resolve my idle problem. They checked the coolant, the IACV, and then said the next thing to check is the ECU. Naturally, they don't have a 96 H23 ECU on hand, nor could they possibly get one. They don't make them any more. So, $200 was spent to be told, maybe I have a bad ECU, cause that's all they can think of.

I ended up blocking the airway a bit, and have been living with the slight idle bounce that resulted, hoping I'd find more time to resolve the issue down the road.

Out of nowhere, the car begins to hesitate. Feels like no spark, or no gas, and considering how I'd changed the plugs not so long ago, I figure it's got to be gas. No codes are being thrown yet, and the car still runs, it just dooesn't want to accelerate to quickly. As long as you're easy on the gas, no jerky hesitation.

I have my Dad drive my car, and let me know what he thinks. During the test drive, the speedometer and odometer stop working, and the check engine light comes on.

Bam, four codes.

I am not a mechanic, and probably should take this problem to one, but I've spent so much money on the car, and I'm not sure I can ever get it back to running smoothly again. Just having the damn thing diagnosed seems to cost a small fortune.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.