Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how to get a new vin plate?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to get a new vin plate?

i cracked my dash board and got tired of it looking like $#!+ so i went to the junk yard and bought a new dash. well i threw the other dash out before i realised it had my old vin on it. does anyone know how to get a new vin plate made?
Old 09-14-2008, 02:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: how to get a new vin plate? (lowfast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lowfast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i cracked my dash board and got tired of it looking like $#!+ so i went to the junk yard and bought a new dash. well i threw the other dash out before i realised it had my old vin on it. does anyone know how to get a new vin plate made?</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, man what i did is i drilled it out but i drilled it too big, so i have that metal plasticy cheap piece actually package tape (see throught taped in its spot with the pieces on the end broken off, it loks like trash need to know this too lol
Old 09-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to get a new vin plate? (i drive a honda)

bump..i wanna hear if this is possible!
Old 09-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: how to get a new vin plate? (v8 integra)

did you call honda parts dept and ask? if not try a trophy shop. see if the can make you a plaque with same shap with vin stamped in it.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by i drive a honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i have that metal plasticy cheap piece actually package tape (see throught taped in its spot with the pieces on the end broken off, it loks like trash need to know this too lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

Plasticy, that's a new one.

OP: all that matters is the VIN on your firewall. If anyone gives you a hassle, direct them to that.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:19 PM

Default Re: how to get a new vin plate? (v8 integra)

Well.... I know that in certain situations, you can get a new VIN number ASSIGNED by the state (usually when you've modd'ed your vehicle so far beyond the original spec as to not meet the definition anymore.) I had to do that with a VW dunebuggy once and I knew a guy who built a replica Morgan using the rolling stock from a Fiero or something like that.

But as for getting a new VIN plate....cr*p! I would call a Honda dealer and see what they say. At the least, I hope you have a clean title and insurance, 'cause proving what you got might be a problem. I think the VIN's on a plate on the firewall, too, so that should help....I've also heard stories that since 19XX, all car manufacturers stamp the VIN someplace obscure on the car to help when a car gets stolen, but obviously I don't know where it would be on your year Honda. However, The Man is going to assume you stole the car and make you prove you didn't, I'm afraid.

For sure, I don't think I'd call the police or DMV unless you're prepared to take the tag off and not drive the car until you get this fixed...It's entirely possible that driving a vehicle without the VIN number readable through the windshield is illegal (I remember a discussion about this WRT window tint.) Certainly you won't be able to sell it (VIN verification is a requirement in pretty much all states).

Other ideas for physically making a VIN plate (excluding the legal angle)? Pretty easy, actually. I own a cheap set of letter and number punches, myself - that and a bit of scrap soft aluminum is all you'd need.

I think I would get a hold of any local shop that does machine work and ask them. Or Office Depot or Max or any other place that does engraving. You know more or less the size you need.... a few bucks later, a couple of poprivets, and the obligatory hassle getting the dash out and back in, and you should be good to go!

Be careful, but good luck!
Old 09-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for some reason, my 93 honda
was missing 1st 3 letters, and damn DMV
went beserk, and i had to go to police...
Old 09-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: how to get a new vin plate? (lowfast)

From a legal perspective you should be ok, unless maybe you're in california. The vin is also engraved in the firewall and on the sticker on the door jam. But yeah, call honda, or a trophy shop, sign shop or any other place that can do engraving.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:55 PM

Default Re: how to get a new vin plate? (94EG8)

Hey, as a followup, I found this (non-Honda specific) article online....

Following proper VIN procedure is essential.

Here's an excerpt:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> John M. Cabaniss Jr., director, Environment and Energy, Association of International Automobile Manufacturers Inc. (AIAM), stresses the importance of preserving the "integrity" of vehicles. "It's really important for body shops to be aware of VINs and their importance," said Cabaniss. He added that in addition to the manufacturers assigning a VIN to each vehicle when it is manufactured - usually on the dash and doors - the VIN may also appear on many major assemblies throughout the vehicle.

In addition to knowing applicable state regulations, you must keep in mind that vehicle makers have specific VIN replacement guidelines. One such manufacturer is Toyota, which has published technical service bulletins for replacement certification labels as well as replacement VIN plates. As with many other manufacturers, some fees may be applicable and the original plate to be replaced must accompany the request. Figure 1 shows a sample of Toyota's application for a replacement VIN.

I-CAR outlines a detailed example of another manufacturer's requirements. The vehicle maker can only be contacted through an authorized dealer and a request completed for a new VIN plate and/or rosette rivets to transfer the existing plate.

Once all the proper paperwork is completed - including proof of ownership, an insurance company's estimate and receipts for replacement parts - a factory zone representative personally delivers the plate and/or rivets. At delivery time, the representative must visually supervise to ensure the parts are properly installed on the identified vehicle. I-CAR notes that the manufacturer's guidelines also clearly say each state's statutes must be adhered to and followed.

Of course, not all vehicle manufacturers provide the services outlined above, or due to the VIN attachment design, may not require transfer of VIN plates when instrument panels are replaced. It's critical to work with each manufacturer to handle repairs in the proper manner. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So..... it appears that it's possible, but a PITA.

Oh, and I don't think I'd recommend the trophy/engraving shop idea after doing the research. Appears that not using the official Honda one is a violation of Federal law - take a look at this:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

18USC § 511 Altering or removing motor vehicle identification numbers

(a) A person who—
(1) knowingly removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters an identification number for a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part; or
(2) with intent to further the theft of a motor vehicle, knowingly removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters a decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act,

shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

(b)
(1) Subsection (a) of this section does not apply to a removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration by a person specified in paragraph (2) of this subsection (unless such person knows that the vehicle or part involved is stolen).
(2) The persons referred to in paragraph (1) of this subsection are—
(A) a motor vehicle scrap processor or a motor vehicle demolisher who complies with applicable State law with respect to such vehicle or part;
(B) a person who repairs such vehicle or part, if the removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration is reasonably necessary for the repair;
(C) a person who restores or replaces an identification number for such vehicle or part in accordance with applicable State law; and
(D) a person who removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters a decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act, if that person is the owner of the motor vehicle, or is authorized to remove, obliterate, tamper with or alter the decal or device by—
(i) the owner or his authorized agent;
(ii) applicable State or local law; or
(iii) regulations promulgated by the Attorney General to implement the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

So what does that mean? Well, I'm not a lawyer, but you can certainly claim that you were acting under (b)(2)(B) to repair the dash. However, at 2AM in the rain with a p.o.ed p.o. wanting to take you in? I think it's worth the effort to avoid the hassle... anything they're THAT serious about (5 years of striped light? Sheesh!) I would try to get right the FIRST time.

Good luck!

Modified by PerryRT at 10:05 PM 9/14/2008
Old 09-14-2008, 06:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: how to get a new vin plate? (PerryRT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PerryRT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey, as a followup, I found this (non-Honda specific) article online....

Following proper VIN procedure is essential.

Here's an excerpt:

So..... it appears that it's possible, but a PITA.

Oh, and I don't think I'd recommend the trophy/engraving shop idea after doing the research. Appears that not using the official Honda one is a violation of Federal law - take a look at this:

So what does that mean? Well, I'm not a lawyer, but you can certainly claim that you were acting under (b)(2)(B) to repair the dash. However, at 2AM in the rain with a p.o.ed p.o. wanting to take you in? I think it's worth the effort to avoid the hassle... anything they're THAT serious about (5 years of striped light? Sheesh!) I would try to get right the FIRST time.

Good luck!

Modified by PerryRT at 10:05 PM 9/14/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

misunderstood the law, read it again. if you tamper with the VIN, not the plate. IE change letters. thats 5 years.

ie nab a supra, make a fake vin of a car that really exists or make a fake vn and history thats 5 years.

taking the vin off, buying a new plate to replace a f[rea]ked dash that is at least 13 years old. legal
Old 09-14-2008, 07:51 PM

I agree with you. I think you might have understood me, though. When I quoted the law, I was thinking specifically about the idea of replacing the VIN plate with a privately made (or aftermarket) one rather than ordering one from Honda.

Note the phrase "knowingly removes" in the law. It doesn't say "with intent to further the theft" or anything else (like in the next section). So just the act of taking the VIN off is enough to get you in trouble assuming you can't prove exemption under (b)(2)(B).

The problem is that in order to prove that your plate is OK, you may have to go to court, and the costs of that, even when you're right, might be a great deal more than getting a correctly made replacement VIN plate from HoA.

The point is here that at 2AM during a hypothetical traffic stop, i doubt the PO is going to know the difference between a VIN plate you made (legally) yourself to replace a missing one, or a plate you made (illegally) to cover up the Civic you just stole if the plate doesn't look really, really, stock.

Nor will he be likely to care.

He's more likely than not going to take you to the pokey, your car to the impound, and let you tell it to the judge. On Monday. After you've shared a cell all weekend with Smoking Joe, the 300-pound alcoholic child molester. (He likes import boys!)

Am I making more sense now? It's not so much about the law, as it is about the appearance of wrongdoing and keeping your butt....well....away from Joe.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't want to read what every one said but here is Washington if your missing vin on dash u go to state patrol and they put a sticker on dash and door... try calling them they will tell u
Old 09-15-2008, 05:58 AM

im doin alot of research today ill let ya know how it goes if any1 else has more info please let me know
Old 09-15-2008, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i heard the dash is in 2 peices, the peice closest to the window, with the vin on it, and then the rest. It either sticks on or screws on. give it a try and give us a write up!!!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:29 AM

Default Re: (Hanmin)

i wouldnt bother about it really.... i would just pull that odd vin plate off the dash and leave it blank. your car still has the vin stamped on the firewall and in the door jam and i think the trunk lid might also have a sticker on it.

i dont see missing one vin plaque being a issue. but then again i dont have any inspections in indiana....

you can always just tell them the deal if a cop freaks out by not seeing it just pop the hood and door and show him the other vin numbers!

Old 09-15-2008, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just use rivets with washers to hold the old plate on? Don't bother actually rivetting it, just use some adhesive. You're only holding like 1/10 ounce of aluminum down.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:28 PM

obviously some people didn't read everything. i threw out the old dash so i don't have my vin plate anymore or id just do that myself.and you cant just stick it on with adhesive. its not leagle to tamper with the vin plate so it woud have to be rerivited to look legit. if anyone has anymore info that would be great i have to have the vin plate.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lowfast)

Here in California, it is illegal to transfer vin plates from one dash to another been through that battle. got pulled over and the cop looked at my vin which i drilled the rivets and swapped to my new dash the rivets looked like they were removed and new was used so he looked at all the vin plates motor and frame. he then wrote me a ticket and i had to go to a state smog ref. and they issued me a door sticker and the dash plate had to be removed.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (guinnessstout)

If a car dash was vandalized most people would go back to the dealer to get it fixed, the dealer would do it or farm it out. In most but not all cases the old plate would be there and they must have some procedures to transfer plates or get new ones. Talk to a dealer.
c
I have vin. plates on my 98 EX on the hood, front fender, door trunk, etc. When I bought this off-lease car the salesman showed them to me to prove that all the panels were original and the car was never hit. Yeah, if I get stopped I could take LE all around and show that the #s match. But you do drive the car or your car is always parked someplace visible and the missing plate gives LE probable cause to give you the business. In the end you win these battles, the car is legit. But if it is raining and at nite Officer X does not want go go thru the crap so you get impounded and cited. Take time off from work, etc., the judge says no problem but you still are out tow, storage etc. Also if the cop does go with you looking around your car will he see anything that opens up another can of worms. Is there a roach or pipe on the floor? Rolling papers, blunt wrappers? Beer bottles that are going to go to the bottle return or recycle that still have some suds in them? Ah, open alc.! A rifle in the trunk.? That is legal here (if it is empty) but the reinforcements will be called in until they get some answers.

My point is that this fellow cannot drive like this and needs to fix this. Talk to a dealer and DMV and then talk to another dealer and a different DMV office!

I am currently retiring from the State of Ct., 2 different depts. and liaisoned to Hospitals, Courts, Social Security and Welfare Depts. I previously was a Zoning officer in one town and Zoning Chairman in my town. Let me tell you at every level I worked at I worked with, for, or dealt with people who were supposed to know what is what, and they were phucken clueless. Be extra thorough!
Old 09-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Seagull Management

Default Re: (lowfast)

honestly I wouldn't worry about it unless you live in a place like california. In all the times me and people i know have been pulled over i have never once seen or heard of a cop looking at the vin. I've actually got a friend with a '90 toyota pickup thats actually the combination of several different trucks with at least 2 different vins, I think only the dash vin matches the one on the registration as the cab is off another truck, he's been pulled over a few times for different reasons and never had any trouble. I would make sure there is a vin tag there though, they might notice the empty spot, but i doubt they would notice that it was different. and even if they did just tell the officer what happened, i doubt they would push it further if you show them the firewall and door jam vins.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94EG8)

HE HAS NO VIN FOR THE DASH.!!!!!!!!!! Cops will see it anywhere. And if he gets in a fender bender they check it. This real world is not a TV show!
Old 09-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94EG8)

hey man,

were I live in California the cops have it out for imports, my friends have all been pulled over for modified exhausts, they wern't even loud. we have all been pulled over for modified suspensions. these cops suck. when we got pulled over they asked to look under the hoods and are out for stollen parts and illegal s*@t.
SO DO AS YOU WISH.

JUST letting you my situations I have been in
Old 09-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Seagull Management

Default Re: (guinnessstout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by guinnessstout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey man,

were I live in California the cops have it out for imports, my friends have all been pulled over for modified exhausts, they wern't even loud. we have all been pulled over for modified suspensions. these cops suck. when we got pulled over they asked to look under the hoods and are out for stollen parts and illegal s*@t.
SO DO AS YOU WISH.

JUST letting you my situations I have been in</TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand you guys in california have it rough, in a lot of ways, cops hassle you and you've gotta watch your car every minute to make sure it doesn't get stolen. But from what I understand the OP doesn't live in california and I assume his state is a little more sane when it comes to this stuff. Btw even though it seems like we have it pretty good in new brunswick, no emissions testing, the RCMP almost never bother you unless you deserve it and you can leave your doors unlocked and not worry about someone jacking your ride. There is some stuff that sucks too. Like that our cars rot so bad due to salt that its next to impossible to find one that doesn't need $3000 worth of body work just to make it look like a car again. And if you have a really nice civic you can only drive it for 6 months of the year due to snow and salt. There are always compromises.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:58 PM

obviously some people didn't read everything. i threw out the old dash so i don't have my vin plate anymore or id just do that myself.and you cant just stick it on with adhesive. its not leagle to tamper with the vin plate so it woud have to be rerivited to look legit. if anyone has anymore info that would be great i have to have the vin plate.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mattv)

to make legit probably have to blue tag the car...
could always try to fab up one.

Quick Reply: how to get a new vin plate?