Notices

How to clean your EGR Ports on a Crx HF enjoy...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean your EGR Ports on a Crx HF enjoy...

So I spent off and on around a week mess around with my spare HF manifold. I had read past post of how to do this on an Accord or a Prelude but never the Crx HF.

I decided its pretty annoying not having a How to for a Crx so I made it. I thought I had more pictures of it. My intake manifold was off and I HIGHLY recommend doing the same if you want Great results.

The reason I say that is because there is NO way i would have been able to clean the ports this clean with them on the car.

In fact I had taken this intake manifold to the machine shop and had them dip it and as you can tell on this page the EGR ports were still completely clogged.

Here is the intake manifold with 1 port removed.

The trouble I had wtih this is that you are suppose to be able to drill into the port caps, tap them, bit a screw or bolt in it, and take a slide hammer http://www.buildingabeetle.com/images/tools26.jpg and pull it out that way.

It wasn't happening. I ended up taking my dremel with a circular cutting bit and just kept cutting at it (sorry wish I had a detailed picture on this)

Here goes a side shot of how far I went down:

After its that far you should be able to drill in, tap, screw/bolt, and use a slide hammer or just a regular hammer (with the pry part) and pull it out that way.

here is one of the plugs out:

I did it to the 4 main ones and 2 secondary ones (at least thats what I called it, you will be able to see the other two a few pictures down with the ports cleaned)

In this picture you can see all 4 main ports. The reason they are black is because they are filled with carbon. COMPLETLY FILLED.

What I had used to clean these ports out were as followed:
Brake Cleaner (worked a little)
Coat Hanger (broken carbon up but didn't really move it)
Carb/Throttle Cleaner (worked a little better)
Used a screwdriver (worked well)

After failed attempts I ended up taking Stove Degreaser, make sure its safe on aluminum, and sprayed it in there. I just kept spraying then letting it sit for awhile and then sprayed some more. I sprayed in all the ports and I also sprayed in where the EGR valve sits (those ports).

Then I took a hose and with pressure adapter I sprayed in there for awhile. I think i did that process twice.

Then I sprayed a little WD-40 in there to help lube up what I just got full of water (anti rust measures)

Here are the results of Degreaser and Water:

You can notice the 5th hole on top that I cleaned and if you look hard there is one on the left of the ports, on the side.

Now from here I took a route I wish I hadn't. I think the best thing to do is to tap and then put some bolts with sealant on them in those ports. That way you can always reopen and clean the Egr ports as time goes on.

I realized this after I sealed them up and this is how I did it:

Those little shiny metal things are for an EGR port kit for a Prelude/Accord.
The part number for them are: P/N 07WAZ-001000A

The JB weld was used to insure there was no leakage:

After the JB Weld had settled I took engine Primer and sprayed it down and then I took Engine Paint (cast aluminum) and sprayed it with that to make it look new)

While the intake manifold was getting worked on I had my fuel injectors reconditioned
These are my results for the work I had done at http://www.ravenworksllc.com
http://www.mnsportcompacts.net...73286

My fuel economy and power output has increased significantly. My car is a stock Crx HF that has 310,000 miles on it. My first test after this worked pulled in 39.9 mpg, I previously had been getting 36.3mpg. For some reason the tank I am on right now is on its way of being the best MPG I've had so far. I should have results in 2 days or say.

The 39.9 mpg is city and minimal highway driving. I have since taken a lot more measures on how I drive to get even better gas mileage.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 08-09-2008, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks boss
Old 08-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Natural Aspirations)

I have a 92 Vx hatch and I bet this would help with my mileage. I have been only averaging 28-30 MPG with it which is horrible. Of course I am usually running 70MPH with the AC wide open and I'm not exactly a granny driver.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IndySporty)

Yeah i highly recommend it to everyone that has these cars. I plan to throw sea foam in the egr port occasionally to help keep the carbon build up to a minimum.

I've really changed my driving a lot. That is a huge thing in saving gas. I drive 65 max. I only use the a/c when i'm going over 40mph and when i have the a/c on I will drive for awhile with it on and then shut it off until I start getting hot again and then turn it back on. I just keep doing that. I can tell a big difference as far as how the a/c is robbing my little engine of the little power its putting out.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks i need to have this done since my car keeps throwing code 12
Old 08-31-2008, 06:40 PM

Default Re: How to clean your EGR Ports on a Crx HF enjoy... (vtecn8ive)

Thanks ...That was very helpful. I had my 91 hf's engine overhauled and my mechanic did the same thing you did on my manifold. I am very pleased with the results. The only thing I dont understand is I'm getting around 45-47 miles per gallon but I do more highway driving than u I guess. Thanks again for the visual.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:23 AM
Trial User

Default Re: How to clean your EGR Ports on a Crx HF enjoy...

Hi, thanks for the detailed explanation. A month ago I bought an 88 and 89 hf for $2,800. The 88 has intermittent idle roughness and knock.

Key rattling idle!

Popped off the EGR Valve earlier today and cleaned an ashtrays worth of black powder out with a screwdriver! Will take off exhaust and intake manifold to thoroughly clean this weekend.

Actually, it was running great after the cleaning. These machines are great! logical, open and a joy to work on.

Thanks a bunch for the pictures. It helped greatly. Now I know what to aim at.