Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

DIY: Auto Console to Manual Boot Console

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Auto Console to Manual Boot Console

I created this because I couldn't find a existing DIY. Hopefully someone will get some use out of this DIY. This DIY was performed on a 2005 Civic LX Sedan.

DIY: Convert your automatic shifter console to the manual shift boot console

Parts & Tools Needed:
- Phillips Screwdriver
- Flathead Screwdriver
- Part #: 77295-S5A-L11ZB

1. Before

2. Pry off the trim ring, very easy to remove.

3. Next using your finger, there is a small whole in the center of the remaining trim piece at the top near the cup holder lid latch. Using that hole, pry off the trim piece.

4. On the front of the gear select lever is 2 phillips head screws, remove those, and remove the gear select lever by pulling upward.

5. Next, using your flathead screwdriver, remove the trim piece surrounding the gear select lever. There is 4 tabs, 2 on each side.

6. Remove the gear selection indicator, and set aside.

7. Remove the selector dust cover(?)

8. Remove the remaining black piece surrounding the selector level with the flathead screwdriver. There are 4 tabs, 2 on each end.

9. Remove the light bulb on the side of the black piece by rotating the bulb and tucking the wire out of the way inside the console area.

10. Pull the manual shift boot inside out, and cut and remove the ziptie holding the collar to the boot. There will be a hole in the boot where the ziptie went through.

11. Insert the gear selector level into the inside out boot and line up the whole from the collar that was removed with the top phillips head screw hole on the selector lever. Reinsert the 2 phillipshead screws, using the top screw to secure the boot to the lever.

12. Put the manual boot trim piece in place and secure using the retaining clips on the trim piece.

13. After Now sit back and enjoy a drink while admiring your cleaner console.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (coolusername)

i like it... how much did that part cost you? just a lotof hater here.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stinkypinky1011)

The part cost about $45 at the dealer or $25 from one of the parts sponsers on here.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

were did yo get yours? parts sponsers?
Old 08-06-2008, 06:43 PM

o and good right up man
Old 08-07-2008, 04:16 AM

So the only part you need is the shift boot? The retaining ring around the bottom simply clips into the old automatic piece. Does that sound right? Just wanted to know how the retaining ring clipped into the dash piece, thanks

Edit: Looked into it a little more, it's the whole piece you replace, not just the shift boot. Thanks anyway. I checked the prices at majestic for 02 civic boots and they're about $24, with shipping/handling, and tax (because the gracious state of NY decides they want to charge tax on items shipped into NY even with companies outside NY), it's like $45 total.

Modified by TCarfrey at 5:28 AM 8/7/2008
Old 08-07-2008, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, anyway to change the actual shifter itself? this is the 1st time ive actually thought about doing this. it looks pretty nice
Old 08-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Function>Fashion

Not feeling it, but props for trying to make your automatic transmission look a little more sporty.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Curiouz_G)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Curiouz_G &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm, anyway to change the actual shifter itself? this is the 1st time ive actually thought about doing this. it looks pretty nice</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah you could change the ****, I just havent done it. I dont think I will because its fine to me as it is. There are companies that make auto *****.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:22 PM

that's odd. i wrote a post and it's gone... probably the admin... sheesh...

anyways i said good diy it's cool.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (oddmut)

yeah the thread was cleaned up. thanks
Old 08-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: (oddmut)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oddmut &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that's odd. i wrote a post and it's gone... probably the admin... sheesh...

anyways i said good diy it's cool.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was my doing, due to all the unnecessary inflammatory comments.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool idea. i drive a manual already but it definately looks nice. i think what you can do also is just clip in the shift boot itself between the trim and ring of an automatic, it just stays rectangular and doesnt become oval like a manual's is.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bakerboy0642)

any ideas if it'll work for 01?
and are you afraid of forgetting which gear you are in or the indicator light in your console not working correctly?
Old 08-08-2008, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kcari)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kcari &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any ideas if it'll work for 01?
and are you afraid of forgetting which gear you are in or the indicator light in your console not working correctly?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont see any reason it shouldnt work on a 01, some stuff might be different as i dont know what the shift surround looks like. Im not worried about what gear im in cause its also displayed on my cluster, but its relatively simple to know what gear your in, automatics arent that complicated
Old 08-08-2008, 06:40 AM

It'll work, I have it done on mine. All you need is the 01 manual shift boot.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how about adding a clutch pedal just for effects
Old 08-09-2008, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kcari &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how about adding a clutch pedal just for effects
</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you dont have anything good to contribute, dont post
Old 08-09-2008, 07:33 AM

Default Re:

Here's a thought -

As you can see on our Auto shifts, there's a place to insert a key to disengage the shifter, so you can move the shifter without changing gears, used to remove dash or what ever. Is there any way to disengage the shifter after you've done this manual boot change-over? Could it possibly be easier to work with now, because it's not a solid chunk of plastic, yet, the leather boot? (I mean if you have to remove the center console, like to do work on the head unit).

Also, I've got an 02 EX Sedan, looks a little different from your's, but I had THE hardest time trying to get access to the cig lighter, so that I could install a foglight switch. That damn piece wasn't wanting to budge! Any ideas from anyone?

Old 08-10-2008, 07:24 AM

I've seen some DIY's on them, but every other DIY I've seen has a different console than this. Kind of weird nonetheless. so you move the console, and the place where the cig adapter is just pulls straight out? any screws holding it? You do have to remove it to do stereo installation, right?
Old 08-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TCarfrey)

@TCarfrey

Swaping to the manual boot you wont have the slot to move the shifter, but its a lot easy to pull up the trim piece that holds the boot. The leather doesnt seperate from the plastic trim on the manual part, unless you unstaple it. If you do have to work on the console all you do is turn the key without starting the car, and move the shifter down and thats fine. Your Center console is a little different, but it should be fine. When you remove the bigger trim piece from around the shifter, there should be 2 screws at the top near the cup holders, one on each side. Remove those, and the rest of the trim should pull out, very simple.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:43 PM

Sweet deal -

Thanks for the help man, the manual shift boot is on its way!
Old 08-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TCarfrey)

post pics when you finish!
Old 08-10-2008, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Re: (TCarfrey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TCarfrey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's a thought -

As you can see on our Auto shifts, there's a place to insert a key to disengage the shifter, so you can move the shifter without changing gears, used to remove dash or what ever. Is there any way to disengage the shifter after you've done this manual boot change-over? Could it possibly be easier to work with now, because it's not a solid chunk of plastic, yet, the leather boot? (I mean if you have to remove the center console, like to do work on the head unit).
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The thing that disengages the shifter is just a button that's pressed down using your key. With the shift boot in place of the plastic bezel, you can just press down on the button through the soft shift boot without having to use any tool.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (InanimateCarbonRod)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by InanimateCarbonRod &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The thing that disengages the shifter is just a button that's pressed down using your key. With the shift boot in place of the plastic bezel, you can just press down on the button through the soft shift boot without having to use any tool.</TD></TR></TABLE>

touche

Quick Reply: DIY: Auto Console to Manual Boot Console