Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

cant find CEL jumper plug on jap import

Old 07-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant find CEL jumper plug on jap import

hi, i have a 95 eg3 that was imported from japan and i cant find either the 2 pin service plug or the 3 pin scanner plug anywhere around or above the ECU. the car is right hand drive with the ECU on the left and im starting to think only american models have the plugs tho i've seen a picture with the ECU on the left and the plugs were shown. i've tried everywhere incl. the right hand/drivers side and have searched the net high and low but nobody seems to have the same problem as me finding the plugs. its drivin me crazy
anybody know if japanese models have the plugs or not?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i'm quite sure they do, i seem to recall when my friend did a JDM b18C swap in her hatch that those connectors were with the harness that came with the engine, still in the green rubber cap. If the plug has never been used before its in a green rubber cap type thing along with a 3 pin plug, the rubber thing is tapped up to harness beside the glove compartment, it can be difficult to find even if you know where it is.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah theres no sign of the green rubber holder either, i was up there all day now my shoulder is broke from it and no sign! unless they're completely buried behind the sound deadening but i felt around in there too. one thing, there looks to be electrical tape on a few of the wires coming from the ECU (inside the black plastic trunking part) maybe some moron got at it but it wudn explain why ders no green rubber cap or 3 pin scanner port, would the jumper wires be coming from the ECU direction or the engine bay? i'll confirm what colour wires are taped up and see if that explains it, thanks!!
Old 07-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Seagull Management

Default Re: (kneeslide)

Ok, I went outside and took a look at old EG coupe harness i had laying around, the wires come from the ECU, heres a pic i took
Old 07-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that looks like the ones goin to the heating etc, i took this pic here. its got the brown and grey plugs for the heating but nothin else comin out!!?? i thought the tape swirled around the sleeving looked non OEM but yours seems to have it too

Modified by kneeslide at 5:42 PM 7/21/2008
Old 07-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Seagull Management

yeah, thats where it should be, now the question is, why isn't it? I dunno, something tells me its probably there buried somewhere, I've never heard of a 5th gen civic not having the plug, even the JDM versions. I'd keep looking, i know thats easy to say but i really think its there.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

jesus thats mad! i must be d only person in d world who does'nt have it there!! here's the wire's behind the ECU, one black hose goes out to the passenger door and the other goes up to those air-con plugs

here's another look at the air-con plugs with no sign of the lads

and here's a look at that dodgy joint which i thought was non-OEM, not sure tho
(i removed the tape from it, its a co-axial cable, brown)

Modified by kneeslide at 5:39 PM 7/21/2008

Modified by kneeslide at 5:43 PM 7/21/2008
Old 07-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Seagull Management

Ok, I am seriously at a loss here, try looking at plug "D" at the ecu, see if there is light blue wire pinned into slot 7, it goes to the CEL jumper connector, if its there follow it and it should lead you to the plug or a cut wire.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94EG8)

i'll have to do it 2moro, we're all wrapped up for bed here in ireland! earlier i looked right up at the ECU plugs and found a brown wire with a silver ring, and a green wire with a white stripe like those shown in the "new CEL codes" sticky on this forum (although there was two green ones with white stripes) i shorted them with needles etc (i know, maybe i should'nt do that if im not sure about d wires) and couldnt see my CEL or ECU LED flashing when ignition was switched on (i dont think i have to actually start d engine?)
one other thing worth noting is those air-con plug/socket assemblies have a fastening peg to hold them securely to a hole on the chassis or the frame of the dash, but when i came across them they were floating free and were not mounted to anything, maybe johnny donkey spanners was in that area before!
its just my idle suddenly went haywire and its cutting out etc, i have a mechanic with a scanner wondering where to plug his lead in and i could have a stab at getting a code identified from the CEL with all the info on here.
thanks very much for the help!
Old 07-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Seagull Management

I would kinda say it looks like someone might have been poking around in there at some point, that splice you mentioned in an earlier post, honda does make splices in the harness, they use a metal ring to clamp around the wires and hold them together, then they wrap them with very wide electrical tape. Good luck, i hope you can get this sorted out.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i managed to find the cause of my rough idle without finding the 3 pin scanner port or the 2 pin service connector. i'm just delighted to have the car running sweet again but i hope i never need to use these plugs and if i do i hope i can find the alternative means (if there is one) of diagnosing faults on my jap-market civic
thanks to 94EGB for taking an interest in this and your swift response!! these forums are priceless when you're goin crazy over unusual little faults and problems