Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Cobalt gt sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobalt gt sport

Where is a good place to buy a set up the gt sports for an integra? I did some searching and these seemed like a decent street/track pad.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cobalt gt sport (ED9man)

Mike at PDQ motorsports hooked me up with my cobalt pads.

http://pdqmotorsports.net/
Old 07-21-2008, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Cobalt gt sport (JuanTushag)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JuanTushag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mike at PDQ motorsports hooked me up with my cobalt pads.

http://pdqmotorsports.net/</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup call Mike
Old 07-21-2008, 10:00 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ED9man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Where is a good place to buy a set up the gt sports for an integra? I did some searching and these seemed like a decent street/track pad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just FYI - cobalt reformulated their GT Sport brake pad a couple of years ago. Before the reformulation, it was indeed an excellent dual-purpose pad, with a nice aggressive bite and ability to withstand heat for the track, and without severe downsides on the street (little to no squeal or need for warmup - none of either in my experience). It was my pad of choice.

When they reformulated it, they made it a bit more aggressive, and I've been told by the folks at Cobalt that the new formula tends to squeal, much more than the old one. I have a set that I will be using the next time I wear out a set of pads, so I'll know better myself at that point.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cobalt gt sport (nsxtasy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just FYI - cobalt reformulated their GT Sport brake pad a couple of years ago. Before the reformulation, it was indeed an excellent dual-purpose pad, with a nice aggressive bite and ability to withstand heat for the track, and without severe downsides on the street (little to no squeal or need for warmup - none of either in my experience). It was my pad of choice.

When they reformulated it, they made it a bit more aggressive, and I've been told by the folks at Cobalt that the new formula tends to squeal, much more than the old one. I have a set that I will be using the next time I wear out a set of pads, so I'll know better myself at that point.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

To add to that, I aeard the the new formulation is also not as rotor friendly for a street driven vehicle either. I really wish Cobalt would bring this pad back to market. I have 1 BNIB set of GTS's left and its gonna be a sad day when go thru them.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found a lot of old threads comparing pads that I'm not sure exist anymore. I could care less about dust and noise but I want a pad that is going to work in the winter and last hopefully at least a year maybe 12-15k, while standing up to one or two HPDE's and a lot of autocross.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ED9man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ED9man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I found a lot of old threads comparing pads that I'm not sure exist anymore. I could care less about dust and noise but I want a pad that is going to work in the winter and last hopefully at least a year maybe 12-15k, while standing up to one or two HPDE's and a lot of autocross.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Get two sets of rotors and a set or GT-sports and a set of street pads
Old 07-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah Mike at PDQ Gets x a million.

Edo
Old 07-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nsxtasy and get RIGHT are right. i loved the old GTSs, but before I tried them a guy at Cobalt even told me that the new GTS comp isn't really appropriate for daily use on the street, as was the old version.

I'm now happily rockin' Carbotech AX6 up front for street/track.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slammed_93_hatch)

Well if that's not in my budget what would you recommend?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i really like my hp+ on the street and not being more skilled they work great on the track
Old 07-22-2008, 10:31 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cobalt gt sport (get RIGHT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by get RIGHT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I really wish Cobalt would bring this pad back to market.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So do I. However, it's not going to happen. I talked about this recently with Andie, the owner of Cobalt. They are concentrating their business on track and competition products (including supplying various racing teams) rather than on street-friendly products. Which is too bad for those of us who prefer to use the same pad for both street and track.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clem kevin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i really like my hp+ on the street and not being more skilled they work great on the track</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I've been using, too. The Hawk HP Plus does very well for a street/track pad, just like I described previously for the Cobalt GT Sport: "excellent dual-purpose pad, with a nice aggressive bite and ability to withstand heat for the track, and without severe downsides on the street (little to no squeal or need for warmup - none of either in my experience)". The one downside I've found with the HP Plus is that they don't last as long (in track use, anyway) as the old GT Sport on my NSX fronts - typically 300-400 track miles for the HP+, vs ~600 for the GT Sports - although I seem to get the same ~600 miles on the ITR front with both pads.

If you're looking for the cheapest places to buy the Hawk HP Plus, see this topic.