Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

how to: dc2 oil filter change

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to: dc2 oil filter change

sorry. new to the cars. I have tried searching this topic and have come up with nothing. what is the easiest way to change the oil filter for the DC2 integra? does anyone have a how to with pics? does it matter if i change the oil filter before or after the I drain the oil? Sorry for the dumb question. Thanks guys
Old 07-16-2002, 10:09 AM

Default Re: how to: dc2 oil filter change (mobligga)

Try this http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/oilchange/oil.html
Old 07-16-2002, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

A couple things I do:

If I can't get my oil filter off by hand, I just use a piece of sand paper, works great.
After loosening the filter just a bit, I wedge my hand down behind the intake manifold and spin the filter off the rest of the way, then gently let it fall into the drain pan. This keeps hot oil from running down my arms.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how to: dc2 oil filter change (PatrickGSR94)

Anyone here about the TypeS oil filter giving better oil pressure?
Old 07-16-2002, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to: dc2 oil filter change (maggsgsr)

when i cant get the oil filter off by hand or with one of those rubber things made to open jars, i just stab a screw driver through it....get oil all over the place and get it loose with the screwdriver. saves me time from dicking around getting frustrated trying to get it loose...then i just wipe the oil off where it dripped and put the new one on.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: how to: dc2 oil filter change (junglistgsr)

when i cant get the oil filter off by hand or with one of those rubber things made to open jars, i just stab a screw driver through it....get oil all over the place and get it loose with the screwdriver. saves me time from dicking around getting frustrated trying to get it loose...then i just wipe the oil off where it dripped and put the new one on.
I did that the first time I changed the oil after I bought it, I hate using that method. I much prefer sandpaper.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:42 PM

when i first got my car i tried to do my own oil change and i tried taking the filter out and i couldnt. i even had the oil filter wrench and that still couldnt get it out. im not sure but are the filter that they put on coming out of the factory special or something because i spent 20 mins on that sucka and it wouldnt budge.

also how much are OEM filters at honda?
Old 07-16-2002, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to: dc2 oil filter change (SilverB18C1)

I would really like to know for a fact if the RSX typeS filter works on the b18c1 and gives it 10 more psi of oil pressure?Anyone know this for a fact.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when i first got my car i tried to do my own oil change and i tried taking the filter out and i couldnt. i even had the oil filter wrench and that still couldnt get it out. im not sure but are the filter that they put on coming out of the factory special or something because i spent 20 mins on that sucka and it wouldnt budge.

also how much are OEM filters at honda?
That's odd, when I changed mine, I got it off by hand. Also, I paid 5.99 + tax for my OEM filter.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:42 AM

Default Re: how to: dc2 oil filter change (SoCal ITR)

really by hand? mine was stuck on like no other.

BTW sorry to rape ur thread but what oil should i use? im to cheap to use synthetic so whats a good regular oil that i can use?
Old 07-17-2002, 07:51 AM
New User

i swear i almost snapped my wrist once when i was trying to get the filter off once...i just kept trying and trying for the next 20min....eventually the MAN HANDS preveiled!! ...

the sand paper idea sounds cool...think im gonna do that next time...but my problem wasnt that i couldnt get enough grip...just didnt have enough torqe in my wrist
Old 07-17-2002, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would really like to know for a fact if the RSX typeS filter works on the b18c1 and gives it 10 more psi of oil pressure?Anyone know this for a fact.
fact or fiction?
Old 07-17-2002, 08:03 AM

I usually jack my car up on jack and secure it on jack stands and then I undo the oil drain plug and the top fill cap and while it drains I remove the oil filter... this saves time since while its draining.. you go and remove the oil filter.. kinda like doing 2 things at once.. instead of just sitting there waiting for it to drain.. I usually just let it keep dripping until it doesn't flow anymore (about 10 mins).... you can reach down by the intake manifold and reach your hand down if you know where it is like I do.. you don't really have to look or see..you just kind of know and feel where it is...
I give it a tight grasp/grip then turn and it comes loose... you might need an oil filter wrench.. but I've never needed it I got a firm grip.. you CAN do it from below.. but then the oil drips down and might trickle down your arm.. which is why I prefer to do it from above.. then just drop it down lightly.... on the new filter I usually pour in some motor oil.. and then move the filter around so that it soaks in some of the new oil.. and use your finger and dab some new motor oil onto the rubber O ring washer/gasket... make sure your old filter has its gasket attached and that its off your block... now you install the filter.. you can do it from the top (I do this all the time).. but you HAVE TO position it well, AND make sure u have a firm grip and know where it is/where your screwing it into.. if you drop the filter and dent it... it could be history.. so if you want to do it from top.. make sure u have a firm grip.. you can also put it on from the bottom... screw it on w/ your hand.. then give it a little turn and it should be tight ....

at this point 5 minutes (or more) should have elapsed... and your oil should be mostly drained out... replace the crush washer and wipe the drain plug w/ a rag so its clean.. now replace the drain plug and crush washer and tighten it... filll your oil 4.25 qt for the GSR... and check your dipstick... safely jack it back up and take it off the jack stands, lower it, start up the car and your done.. look for leaks...
Old 07-17-2002, 08:11 AM

Default Re: how to: dc2 oil filter change (wuhungsixxx)

I use latex gloves whenever I work on my car and it seems to help w/ grip (when their dry and not drenced in oil) and I've always been able to take off the filter by hand... also then I can just take them off when I'm done and not have black hands and black fingernails as that looks really unprofessional when you show up to work on monday.. Lolz.. I use to not use gloves and try to use hand cleaner..and still show up to work w/ black fingernails...
Old 07-17-2002, 10:14 AM
New User

Yes..........it does! It's the same filter for the K-series motors (meaning.......you can get them at either Honda or Acura if necessary). I's the only filter I use now - very useful on LS/VTEC!
Old 07-17-2002, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to: dc2 oil filter change (GM2000ITR)

Thanks,thats a simple mod,maybe won't help power wise but will give good oil pressure when flying around turns.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:53 AM

so your saying i can go get a oem rsx filter from honda and put it on my b18c1?

does it have to be type-s? do these cost more?

[Modified by SilverB18C1, 12:53 PM 7/17/2002]
Old 07-17-2002, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do they fit on the b18c5's?
are these just the OEM rsx filters? would aftermarket oil filters produce the same extra 10psi?
Old 07-17-2002, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to: dc2 oil filter change (98R-1144)

Thats what there saying,seems like a good upgrade,because I was told that when are cars take hard turns they loose oil pressure.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:50 PM

intresting because im due for an oil change and this might be something i should do. 10 more psi sounds pretty good? anyone have the model # of this filter that i should get?
Old 07-17-2002, 12:56 PM

And if you want to get alot more of the old, dirty oil out of the engine, let it drain normally but after the dripping stops and before you close it all up, disconnect (at the air tube) the breather hose that runs from the air tube to the valve cover and blow into the hose long and hard 5-10 times. Of course you can put your lips on the valve cover fitting if you want but MAN THAT BABY'S HOT!! You'll be suprised how much more oil comes shooting out the drain!

[Modified by ShootingStar, 9:57 PM 7/17/2002]

[Modified by ShootingStar, 10:00 PM 7/17/2002]

[Modified by ShootingStar, 10:00 PM 7/17/2002]
Old 07-17-2002, 01:08 PM

Default Re: how to: dc2 oil filter change (ShootingStar)

wow i never knew that, ill keep that in mind when i do my oil change
Old 07-17-2002, 01:36 PM

Default Re: how to: dc2 oil filter change (ShootingStar)

[QUOTE]And if you want to get alot more of the old, dirty oil out of the engine, let it drain normally but after the dripping stops and before you close it all up, disconnect (at the air tube) the breather hose that runs from the air tube to the valve cover and blow into the hose long and hard 5-10 times. Of course you can put your lips on the valve cover fitting if you want but MAN THAT BABY'S HOT!! You'll be suprised how much more oil comes shooting out the drain!

QUOTE]thats good info, i use the damn 12.99 Mobil one filters to go with the oil. dont know if its any better but at that price i hope so
Old 07-17-2002, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to: dc2 oil filter change (mattL)

There are some kits that you can buy so you can relocate the oil filter. I think greddy carries them.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to: dc2 oil filter change (thangdovu)

I like this because its a 5 dollar upgrade if this is true.

Quick Reply: how to: dc2 oil filter change