Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my car is f**ked up!! wtf??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car is f**ked up!! wtf??

ok so here we go...

i went and bought a 1997 civic coupe from some guy who could barely speak english on 8/5/2008 and he told me it was an ex well the car had an immaculate body and beautiful interior so i was like wow yeah the lx or dx def dont come like this. so i pop the hood and it looks awry i look at the motor and its a d16y7 so im like hey guy this is non vtec this aint an ex he like yes it is it just doesnt have vtec im like hmm...

well he listed 3300 but i got him down to 2900 because of this issue because i figured this is probably an lx or something and he just plain bananas and carfaxed the vin and everything checks out fine no history im NOW the 3rd owner.

so i pick it up the next day with plates and start driving home now this is the effed up part. the day before it was fine now its weird.
1 - when im driving and step on the brake the lights start turning off and my left turn signal starts light starts slowly lighting up but its not blinking and im not trying to use it.
2 - my battery light stays on when i first put the key in but when i start the car its gone. i replaced the battery and it still does this
3 - THERE WAS NO o2 sensor even connected in the engine bay so i bought a new one and got rid of that problem code
4 - i hook it up to my obd2 scanner and heres whats left P1508 IAC VALVE CIRCUIT FAILURE i dont know what to and another P code that says VTEC SYSTEM MALFUNCTION obviously i have the EX because apparently the ecu has vtec but i have a non-v motor
5 - i replaced the thermostat and as soon as i turn the car on i cant drive more than 1 minute because the freakin temp gauge flys up!! and it doesnt cool and my fans never turn on when the gauge is up there! i pop the hood and check the motor and the valve head stays hot for hours like more than normal even if i start the car idle for like 5 minutes. i tested the fan it works fine but its never turned on when connected through the stock harness

could it be a water pump? could the vtec ecu and non vtec motor make everything haywire?? do i need an alternator??

WHAT CAN I DO TO FIX THIS!!

ALSO when i connect the obd2 scanner i have to select honda from the list. usually when i connect it it detects the make automatically and fires out codes. worked fine with my accord my dads mercedes and my moms mitsubishi and my girls integra
Old 08-08-2008, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my car is f**ked up!! wtf?? (peeweezy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by peeweezy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
1 - when im driving and step on the brake the lights start turning off and my left turn signal starts light starts slowly lighting up but its not blinking and im not trying to use it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I had this problem in my Gfs 92 accord. Not sure if its the same issue in your civic, But I replaced the whole turn signal assembly and it fixed the issue. Kinda sucks because thats the last thing you think it is. GL
Old 08-08-2008, 05:43 AM
New User

The battery light always stays on until you actually start the vehicle, that's no problem. Don't worry about the vtec code, nothing you can do about that. Try disconnecting the IAC and see what happens also you can take it apart and run some degreaser through it to clean all the gunk out and then try reinstalling it to see if works, sometimes they're just dirty. Does the motor smoke at all when the temp gauge shoots up? Check for leaks, blocks, and take out the water pump and check that as well. Let the car run for a little if you can and check how hard/pressure of the upper radiator hose, if it's soft no good, if it's super hard...no good. This is just some basic **** that could cause these problems, so check this out and let us know how it goes.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:13 AM
New User

You might want to check the ground with those electrical symptoms just make sure its not corroded it takes 2 seconds and might help
Old 08-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MontrealEK)

ok sounds good i checked the grounds to make sure and they were all fine. i noticed something weird by my dist. cap theres 2 sockets that arent plugged into anything its weird i wonder if that has anything to do with something?? i didnt have time to look at the other stuff but i will after work. it doesnt smoke it doesnt steam nothing. just gets really hot to the touch and the temp gauge flys up within 1 minute of being on. i hooked up my girls integra cluster to it and the temp gauge did the same thing. so my battery light stays on when i turn the car to on but then when i start it it turns off. is it healthy for the turn signal light to slowly turn on when i brake EVEN THOUGH IM NOT EVEN USING IT?? and when i do brake and use the signal the signal doesnt start blinking until i let my foot off the brake.

you guys dont think the wrong ecu with the wrong motor could have anything to do with it??
Old 08-08-2008, 10:37 AM

Default Re: (peeweezy)

i wanna see a picture of thats happening
Old 08-08-2008, 10:37 AM

Default Re: (kr0nic1)

whats*
Old 08-08-2008, 11:06 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: my car is f**ked up!! wtf?? (peeweezy)

As far as what car it is:

An EX would have a moonroof. It will also have air conditioning, power steering and cruise control.

Send me your VIN and I will tell you what your car is or you can go to carfax.com and enter your VIN and FOR FREE it will tell you what trim level your car is.

You could have a DX/LX using an EX ECU still btw.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

barely speak english=stay away
Old 08-08-2008, 11:32 AM

Default Re: (v8killaz)

its funny if you told him ti wasnt vtec and he said it was why would you buy it if you knew it wasnt ? clearly he was trying to play you
Old 08-08-2008, 11:49 AM
New User

Sounds to me like your coolant switch and temp sensor are disconnected--this equals inaccurate temp gauge and your fan is not going to turn on--look for a small metal prong sticking out under your distributor kind of to the right of it and then right next to that there should be a connector for the other plug--a picture would be great!
Old 08-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B16SolMan)

well i carfaxed it and its an ex but it does have an lx/dx motor. i do have all the options and everything interior wise. i took it to a mechanic today and they told me to let it run and the fan finally kicked on. they checked everything and said its probably because i have the wrong ecu for the motor. i then asked if itll fix anything if i got the ecu for the lx/dx and they said they arent sure because of the wire harness for the vtec ecu

what do you guys think? if i get an ecu from the salvage yard will it plug right up? where is the ecu located anyways. i know my friends integra is under the passenger side floor thing what about the civic?

as for my buying it im pissed i pretty much paid for the EX shell thats in mint condition but a non vtec motor i carfaxed the vin on the motor and it came out of a 1997 civic hatchback CX with around 120k miles
Old 08-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by peeweezy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what do you guys think? if i get an ecu from the salvage yard will it plug right up? where is the ecu located anyways. i know my friends integra is under the passenger side floor thing what about the civic?</TD></TR></TABLE>

'96 - '98 D16Y7 ECU will plug right in, it should be under the passengers side kick panel.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:57 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You can get a D16Y8 for the EX for a decent price. Do you have the EX or CX transmission?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

i have the CX transmission i would think since the motor came out of a CX but i will try to find the VIN for the tranny and CF it.

so thats good to know that if i find an ecu that itll plug right in. how much does an ecu from a junker usually cost?? i need to pay someone to give me a sticker since i reg in nh live in mass and freakin nh inspection is harder to pass than getting into princeton lol

im so used to my accord now im driving around vtec-less and i have no low end torque or mid-range or top WOW i might as well walk lol i DONT like the ratios on this tranny. either the motor is not performing optimally or the ratios are horrible

will plugging the right ecu in solve anything? are the air/fuel maps different on each ecu or are they both the same and one just has vtec
Old 08-08-2008, 07:15 PM

i didn't see an answer to the IAC problem. if you still have that code it's because the vtec motor uses a 2-wire iacv and the y7 is a 3 wire, so the harness doesn't have the right wires, and that would cause it to idle rough and be jerky when you you lift/apply the throttle.

i have a y7 ecu from my 96 civic, may even be interested in trading you for yours...
Old 08-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thegoudster)

nice im in danvers mass also theres the problem of sometimes when apply the brakes to slow down or stop my left turn signal light starts to come on but IM NOT trying to turn left

what is that?!?
Old 08-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hats going on bro.. when you try to stop or apply the brakes and your left turn signal comes on... is it both the front and rear or just one of them?
Old 08-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (x69tooshort69x)

when im driving i get to a light or w.e and i apply the brakes. if you look at my gauges the left turn signal indicator light comes on but im not trying to use it. and when i do wanna use it the signal doesnt start ticking until i let go of the brakes...
Old 08-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that sucks dude
Old 08-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok.. I had the same problem in my prelude... Check your turn/parking light switch, and if its not that then you probably have a short (which hopefully thats not the case) there's ways to check it and see if your switch is bad but i don't know how to do your car so go to spoonhonda.com and download a shop manual and do it your self if you can to save you all that money!!!! lol Good Luck bro Btw here's a link to that site if your up for it just find your year etc...
https://www.spoonhonda.com/Sea...t=119
Old 08-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (x69tooshort69x)

thanks a lot man im going to check it out but guess what everyone...

i went outside 5 minutes ago to pop the kick panel open to make sure "oh P2M P2P" w.e the ECU for the vtec is...

I FIND A P72!! wtf? OK?@? so im driving a 1997 CIVIC with a NON VTEC D16Y7 controlled by a GSR ECU???!!!

omfg! no wonder my car driving so freakin WEIRD!! im like wow each gear has NO POWER OMFG this is FU*KING EVERYONE UP

i need to get my hands on a P2E ASAP!
Old 08-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by peeweezy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> is it healthy for the turn signal light to slowly turn on when i brake EVEN THOUGH IM NOT EVEN USING IT?? and when i do brake and use the signal the signal doesnt start blinking until i let my foot off the brake.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Its the turn signal itself. You have to remove it, clean and grease it or buy a new one. Takes 20 min to do.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (02_Si_FTW)

Don't worry, I bought a hatch the guy said was cherry. The quarter panel is [freak]ed and it's got 10 little rust holes in the hatch area and in the rain gutters. Gotta dig all the bondo out of the quarter panel and fix it soon.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:56 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by peeweezy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I FIND A P72!! wtf? OK?@? so im driving a 1997 CIVIC with a NON VTEC D16Y7 controlled by a GSR ECU???!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is weird, you can probably sell that ecu pretty easily and make more than enough to buy a P2E though.

Quick Reply: my car is f**ked up!! wtf??