Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Grounded main relay out

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grounded main relay out

Well I had my main relay out of its plastic case still plugged in and bumped to the chassis, small spark and killed car. When I turn the key green light blinks normal but fuel pump does not prime. All my dash check lights light up and stay lit.

Tried re soldering joints but no luck. Is there a chance I killed the ecu or did I just do the relay in?
Old 12-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Grounded main relay out

Depending on what touched, Yes you could of caused ecu damage or messed up the relay. Check the fuel pump fuse to see if it blew and re check the ecu fuse.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Checked fuses with multimeter and they are good. I ordered a new relay so ill try that in the morning. It doesnt click so I assume I did it in. Ive had good luck with re soldering them but this time the green light still blinks but no fuel pump prime, no relay click, and the check lights all light up. Oh I dont know what the hell I did.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I did this once, had the relay hanging down, and hit it with the metal clip of a walking cast I was wearing for a broken ankle. Just had to check all my fuses, and one had blown in the fuse panel by the drivers feet. Replaced the fuse and was good to go.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I put the new relay in and replaced blown fuel pump fuse. It primed and started momentary and died. When I turn key the fuel pump does not prime, fuse is still good, and relay clicks. When I turn it over now it doesnt seem to be firing correctly.

How can I test the ecu. Any ideas of what I should do or what else it could be?
Old 12-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I unbolted ecu, when i move it around it makes the main relay click.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a loose wire or connector by the Ecu then
Old 12-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How do I test to see what is loose or burned? I didnt see any burn marks on ecu plugs. When I jump #5 and #7 on the main relay plug the fuel pump kicks on.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

" You have a loose wire or connector by the Ecu then"

ok progress. i can rule out the main relay, ecu, and fuses. When I moved the ecu/wires around i would hear the main relay clicking intermittently, then it finally primed and started up. Started it up twice, turned off, installed cooling fan switch, now wont start again, no prime. This all started when I jumped the cooling fan switch connector, and thought I blew the main relay. It has to be a loose or melted wire near the ecu. Im going to untape it in the morning and hopefully see something wrong.

From grounding the relay out like I did later I wonder if its possible I melted a couple together. This is ridiculous, I know. Thanks for the replies guys.

Last edited by civicguy167; 12-19-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thermostat ground.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, the main relay goes to the ecu, and dizzy.

I would try to trouble shoot with the helms for car not starting. The main relay powers the ecu through the yel/blk wire. It is possible that the ecu is damaged.

I would also, open the ecu up and look to see if you can spot anything that is blown out.

If you are getting 2 clicks on you new relay, and the fuel pump is not priming, there might be damage to the fuel pump. Try to jump the fuel pump to see if it turns on itself.

If you can manually turn the fuel pump on your pump is fine, and it is a wire issue somewhere else. Make sure that the constant 12v wire is live.

Your main relay has a few 12v sources.

First one is the constant 12v source, which comes from the under hood fuse box. This one is always live.

Second one is your blk/yel 12v, which comes from the ignition when you turn the car on.

The third is the yel/blk 12v which is only live when the blk/yel 12v is turned on. (and only originates from the main relay)

Than you have the other parts of the main relay, the fuel pump being one that needs a 12v signal to work, there is the ground which is negative 12v, and the wire that goes to your icm in the dizzy.

Also might want to run the ICM test on your dizzy to see if anything was destroyed that way since you said it doesnt stay on.

Now the last wire in the main relay is the starter signal wire. This also is a 12v source, but is only activated while you are cranking the engine over. It gives the main relay constant power so that the car starts. Its the same reason why, when you crank the car, everything shuts off and comes on when you dont crank the car.

Hope you understand that, main relay is a pain in the *** thing, but pretty simple to fix if you understand the functions.