Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Boosting Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosting Troubleshooting

Hello everyone,
I have a 92 Prelude with a JDM H22A1 fully built and turboed. Now that I have gotten the intro out of the way I can start explaining my fustrations. I'm having problems boosting past 4 lbs. the car tends to misfire. The shop that was helping me diagnose the problem and said it might be an ignition problem but not sure. Can anyone help me with this?
Old 08-14-2008, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boosting Troubleshooting (Hondaspeed5540)

I take it that your A/F is okay? did you try another set of plugs? Maybe your ignition mod is faulty.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boosting Troubleshooting (Rob97'SH)

Could be a tuning issue. What is the tuning setup? Is the shop good / experienced with the tuning system you've picked?
Old 08-14-2008, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what ems are u useing whats ur plugs gaped to
Old 08-14-2008, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Boosting Troubleshooting (1fastlude1)

I hope you took it for a tune, 'cuz that fully built block of yours isn't going to last a long time otherwise. A good tuner would fix all your problems. We need more infromation before we can help.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Boosting Troubleshooting (street_ride14)

its probably your plug gap its should be set to around .027, colder range plugs wouldnt hurt either,also h22 ignition isnt the strongest you should get a blaster coil
Old 08-14-2008, 06:51 AM

Default Re: Boosting Troubleshooting (dartonh22)

odd. I've read that OEM ignition components are pretty damn good until about 400whp. Which MSD Blaster Coil would work with our applications?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boosting Troubleshooting (ImPuLsIvE)

OEM ignition is more than enough.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:23 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tuned?
engine management?
plug gap?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds to me like the dizzy timing is too retarded. but if it has not been tuned i would not go messing with settings. timing is the #1 killer of a motor.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:31 PM

Ok guys heres whats going on, I am currently running an AEM EMS and using the AEM tru boost controller. I took it to Titan Motorsports in Orlando, Florida and they told me the car was missing and could'nt make power passed 4000rpms which is roughly like 3-4 pounds of boost. They told me that I needed new plugs, distributor cap,rotor and, your gonna like this,a MSD Ignition Box. I say bullshit!
So I immediately went to the parts store and purchased new plug wires,cap,rotor,and another set of plugs. I went to my friends shop and started working on it. I replaced the cap,rotor,wires,plugs and found out that none of that helped then I checked the plugs again and found out they were black,too much fuel. So systematically I checked the coil and distributor and found out that the coil was fine but the distributor didn't look so hot so I replaced it with one I had at the house. Then I remembered that Titan told me there was a problem with my TPS sensor so I gave them another one I had and asked them 3 times if that one was working and they replied yes. I decided to check it and got no signal. Pulled TPS sensor off and there was no difference in the vehicle so I found this strange. I check the wiring with the meter and it read ok, I checked the TPS and was not getting a reading so the TPS was the culprit. This really pisses me off cause how the hell could those people tune my car without the TPS sensor also I found a wire from the cold start fraid so I fixed that. Car funtioning a little better but there is a question on way to much fuel in the tuning also I put an aftermarket 3" catalytic converter cause I'm moving to Cali.(Which I think its waste considering that my car is turbo and will never pass).The cat was a bad idea,it seem to be turning red. Could the cat be the reason for the slight hesitation? also my plugs are black again which means these people did not tuned my car correctly.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:49 PM
moderator emeritus

changing the plugs and gapping them the same as before will just create the same misfire event.

what did you gap the plugs to?

If the car drives fine, then the TPS is not the problem. The engine would drive horribly if the ecu did not know the voltage/throttle percentage. Not to mention that AEM can read TPS percentage and i would imagine they would see it not reading properly if the TPS was messed up.

I would not go assuming that the tune is the blame just yet.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boosting Troubleshooting (98vtec)

I doubt that Titan didn't tune the car right. Those guys are on top of their game, there's got to be more to this.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Boosting Troubleshooting (Finest)

Ok first of all the car was running like **** before I found out that the TPS was bad. All I'm saying is that if there was a problem with the TPS they needed to HALT! tuning until the matter was resolved instead they took my money and gave be a bullshit diagnose,cause theres no way in hell you will be able to tune properly without it also to answer your question about plugs I used 7's NGK which are cold and they were gapped. Now on the matter of them being on the top of there game, there's no question that they had some nice rides come out of there from what I saw. I'm not a Supra customer and dont have a **** load of money obviously thats why I drive a honda. But I felt that they had shitty customer service and did not explain squat,all I saw was like 20 or so [freak]tards in a room surfing the web and not one of them could get there *** off the computer and give me 10 minutes of quality time to help the situation out. All they cared about is the 900 dollars they took from me for doing ZIP! Now guys plz dont bash me cause as I figured were all honda guys and WE GOT TO STICK TOGETHER. I'm just pointing out the obvious, not to mention they charged me for 6 plugs when my car is clearly a 4 cylinder.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:21 PM

HAVE YOU BEEN THERE
Old 08-14-2008, 09:34 PM
moderator emeritus

you still have yet to answer my plug gap question. what was the actual plug gap.....

and please drop the bashing. It doesnt fix your situation nor does it make it any better considering they are an active sponsor on this forum.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you still have yet to answer my plug gap question.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you still have yet to answer my plug gap question.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you still have yet to answer my plug gap question.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you still have yet to answer my plug gap question.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you still have yet to answer my plug gap question.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you still have yet to answer my plug gap question.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you still have yet to answer my plug gap question.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you still have yet to answer my plug gap question.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OP, read.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:44 PM

Dude no problem I'm just a little fustrated and needed to vent, but still making an observation.
What do you think about iridium plugs?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Boosting Troubleshooting (dagle)

ok?
Old 08-14-2008, 10:09 PM
moderator emeritus

i think they are expensive.

how was the car running prior to dropping it off at titan?
Old 08-14-2008, 10:28 PM

Wasn't running cause I just installed the turbo and had to rebuild the engine so the AEM was not tuned at the time to run current set up. I had the prelude towed there cause I did not want to take chances. I think they used a pre-existing program to tune my car but honestly not really sure since I was kept in the dark about everything. I think it would have been hard for them to tune without the Throttle Positioning Sensor and the Cold Start Sensor,so I think I must have been a someone elses tune.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:36 PM
moderator emeritus

take the car back to Titan. They aren't going to screw their reputation over a "low powered" honda.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:03 PM

I talked Nero their tuning advisor and he told me that they were not the people who put the car together so If I want to pay them more money they could try and fix it but after their diagnose I think not. Now I do know my way around the hood but I'm strapped for time because like I said I'm moving to Cali,kids are starting school and turbo is pretty forein to me. Now I dont expect for them to fix my mistakes but I do expect them to be honest and professional. If the TPS was not functioning he should have stopped the progress and try to resolve the situation.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:08 PM

Low Powered Honda?
Old 08-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe in most tuning cases they demand your car is in proper running condition or else how could they assume liability? I'm under the impression that the car was repaired (rebuild motor) and than turbo was installed. Than towed to Titan just to tune? If thats the case I don't think Titan can assume responsability. If I missunderstood please correct me.

Quick Reply: Boosting Troubleshooting