Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

Ugly, Yellow, 96 Integra- Slow build

Old 06-21-2008, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow 96 Integra GSR- Slow build!!!

First off, this is a slow, boring build thread!
This is mainly just for me to look back on, and remember all the headaches. Hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

My goals with this car are to (eventually) have a 400ish horsepower car on pump gas that is reliable enough to drive around on the street. Mainly it is going to see the drag strip on the weekends, but i want it to be able to drive there... and hopefully back. It will be a slow, expensive, probably ghetto-licious, build that should be fun. But first:

I think every build thread should have a little history in it as well.
My first real venture into Honda's was my 1992 Civic Si. Bought it bone stock, and added an intake, exhaust, and GC coilovers. Then I traded it, with cash, to a friend for his 95 Civic Si with H22. Ended up putting a high compression, 90mm, built bottom end in it.

I sold it and bought my first street bike, an 2001 GSXR 1000 with some little goodies. Dyno'ed at 190hp to the ground.

Yep, i got arrested and then tried to kill myself on it. Traded the wreckage for a CRX Si with a rebuilt B18A in it.

It wasn't even close to running, but with the help of a good friend, we got it running almost 3 years later just so i could trade it for this 1996 Integra.

It isn't getting spark (shouldn't be too hard to figure out) and doesn't have a tranny in it or linkage. I already got a GSR tranny in from Hmotors, and a shift linkage from the wonderful world of Ebay. Going to drop in a ACT sprung 6 puck with extreme pressure plate, that should hold the power i am planning on making soon enough.

So far i have just been acquiring parts for it, and doing little things when i have the time. Detail the crappy paint, rear wiper delete, antenna delete, painted the spare tire area, and some other odds and ends. I work around 60 hours a week, so time is limited. This is going to be a slow build, but it is nice to look back and see the progress. Hope you enjoy.

Modified by darkdementshun at 5:55 PM 8/4/2008
Old 06-22-2008, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Ugly, Yellow, 96 Integra- Slow build (darkdementshun)

Well today Mitch came over and helped pull the motor out. Since 3 of the 4 mounts needed help and had to be taken out anyways, it was going to be only a couple more steps to just yank the whole motor out.
Whoever owned this car before did a terrible job painting the engine bay. A lot of the paint simply wipes off with layers of grease and dirt left beneath. Yum.

Right after we pulled the motor.

And a little grease cutting action to help scrub down the engine bay after.

I didn't get everything spotless, but it is a lot better. Hopefully i will have some time tomorrow to finish scrubbing everything down. Then on to prime and paint the bay... Yes, rattle can black! Hey, I've done it several times before and it definitely can't be worse than it was before!

A couple weeks ago I did the Window Weld treatment on 2 of the mounts. Took them a while to cure in the humidity, but they seem pretty stiff now. Just a temporary fix. Guess we will see how well they do.

And last week I added my a little bit of rice to the car... Not perfect, but i like the way it turned out.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ugly, Yellow, 96 Integra- Slow build (darkdementshun)

doest look too bad. in for the build
Old 06-23-2008, 07:20 AM

Default Re: Ugly, Yellow, 96 Integra- Slow build (Brice.Hayden)

Thanks man. It really doesn't look that bad. It just used to be that dark green color that i am so fond of, and whoever painted it yellow didn't take their time at all. Painted right over the mudflaps, which aren't there anymore, and there are several runs in the clear. At least I havn't found a bit of rust on it. That was my main problem with the CRX i had before. Rust everywhere!

Just to let everyone know, I am at work around 60 hours a week. Sundays and Mondays are my 2 days off, so that is really the only time in have to work on it at all. Unfortunately the owners want us to have a work day today (even though it is monday), so we will see what i can get done. If i can finnish getting the engine bay scrubbed down, i will be happy.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck. take your time and do it right
Old 06-23-2008, 08:16 PM

Default Re: (twistedimage)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by twistedimage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good luck. take your time and do it right</TD></TR></TABLE>

Amen to that. And on that note, it doesn't look like i got a whole lot done today, so no pictures.
Things i got done today;
scrubbed down the engine bay again,
got some wiring cleaned up,
painted the battery tray,
and destroyed a black widow's nest in the passenger wheel well!

Since i have the motor out, everyone has been telling me to go ahead and replace the intake manifold now, since i plan on doing that anyways. I think i am just going to go with the Victor X.
Also i am a little worried about the mounts not holding up long. I think i am going to leave the motor out a little while longer and get some solid Avid mounts. Anyone have any experience with them? They seem pretty solid... in photos.
Other than that, i am just waiting on my radiator to get here.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:01 PM

Default Re: (darkdementshun)

Slow day at work today.

Did just order some Avid Pro Series Mounts and Victor-X manifold from T1 though!!!

Geico.... it pops up everywhere.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pics of your mounts? and what did they cost
Old 06-26-2008, 10:06 AM

Default Re: (twistedimage)

T1 Race Development is where I ordered the mounts and manifold from. I will take photos once they come in.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice project

my favorite part: the corvette plate.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by darkdementshun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

good luck, bro!
Old 06-26-2008, 11:58 AM

Default Re: (AccordSleeperZzZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AccordSleeperZzZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice project

my favorite part: the corvette plate.

good luck, bro!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha Yep, you gotta love the Corvette Civic!

Thanks man. I'm just glad to have the car this close to running right now. Hopefully in a couple more weeks.....
Old 06-27-2008, 12:47 PM

Thanks to T1 for the fast shipping and turnaround time, I got these in today:

Radiator should be arriving at Mitch's house today too, so looks like things are going well for this weekend.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:07 PM

Yes your fluidyne did come in today! I also ran over it Oh well sorry I also hate that CRX
Old 06-27-2008, 08:18 PM

Default Re: (LastWhiteHope)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LastWhiteHope &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes your fluidyne did come in today! I also ran over it Oh well sorry I also hate that CRX </TD></TR></TABLE>

Better be joking! Cause i know where a replacement one is for the time being....
Old 06-28-2008, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow those mounts are solid!?!

Your car is gonna vibrate like a banshee!
Old 06-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ what are the advantages of solid mounts?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:00 AM

Default Re: (Str8EJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Str8EJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^ what are the advantages of solid mounts?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Less engine movement means more power is going to the ground rather than having soft mounts that can absorb some of the torque. Honestly you probably wouldn't notice the microscopic amount of power loss, but it does also help with wheel hop too. I have always had a problem with that. Yes, it is going to vibrate the crap out of my car. I got used to it with the H22 in the hatch, and i love the reassurance of knowing my motor is staying where i put it.

Also, here are some photos of the lovely radiator Mitch ordered for me. Yesterday was a midsummer's Christmas!

Old 06-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice pick up on the integra. Look better with black interior. Keep up the build!
Old 06-28-2008, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Yellow 96 Integra GSR- Slow build!!! (darkdementshun)

In for the only yellow/tan car I've ever seen

I wanna see what you can do with this
Old 06-29-2008, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Yellow 96 Integra GSR- Slow build!!! (DHutch)

Wish i had that kind of ballin cash to spend on stuff. So far you have more in your few parts than i have in my turbo kit! Of corse it sucks It will be worth it in the long run.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:47 PM

i would of kept the first hatch to begin with, just me though. nice
Old 06-29-2008, 05:08 PM

Default Re: (octaneaccord02)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by octaneaccord02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice pick up on the integra. Look better with black interior. Keep up the build!</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DHutch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In for the only yellow/tan car I've ever seen

I wanna see what you can do with this </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, i hated the interior at first. Right now my focus is getting it running. Then i will worry about the interior. But i will say, i do have a couple plans for it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LastWhiteHope &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wish i had that kind of ballin cash to spend on stuff. So far you have more in your few parts than i have in my turbo kit! Of corse it sucks It will be worth it in the long run.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mitch, you know you're a baller. You just spend your money on egay stuff...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ekhatch18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would of kept the first hatch to begin with, just me though. nice</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, pretty much what everyone has told me and what i sometimes wish too. I was just burned out on it. Got to the point where everything kept breaking. Finally when i think i had fixed and replaced most everything on the car, a kid offered $6500 cash. Couldn't pass it up.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice new parts. are you giong to paint the engine bay yellow or put the car back to its orignal green loveliness?
Old 06-29-2008, 08:26 PM

Default Re: (Brice.Hayden)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Brice.Hayden &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice new parts. are you giong to paint the engine bay yellow or put the car back to its orignal green loveliness?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The bay had a crappy black spray paint all over everything. Actually that is what i have been working on all day. Cleaned up most of it, primed it, and sprayed it a nice gloss black. The humidity made it difficult to get it perfect, but anything is better than before.

I would love to eventually paint the car back the factory green. Just a long term goal though. It isn't rusting, so it will do for now.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Yellow 96 Integra GSR- Slow build!!! (darkdementshun)

Just a quick update from my weekend. Finished painting the engine bay. Not my best job by far, but a million times better than it was.

Also i took off the GSR intake manifold and started swapping everything over to the Edelbrock. A couple things gave me a problem, but it can't ever go super smooth. The GSR fuel rail bolts down directly to the manifold, and the Edelbrock one has supplied spacers, but no bolts or extra studs to accommodate the extra length needed. The throttle body I found out was only being held on by the two studs. I got one out, but the other one was disgusting. The only 12mm bolts i have are just a bit too short too. Figures.
It's ok. I'm sure i can find some somewhere.....

I am only working two full days this week, and then we are off til next tuesday. I hope to have the engine at least bolted back in, and almost running by then. I'm not looking forward to figuring out all the wiring, but it will be nice to have things that close to running. Looks like i have a ways to go though!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ugly, Yellow, 96 Integra- Slow build