Notices

Tuning exhaust sound.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tuning exhaust sound.

Sorry, people who change cams for the sound are doing it wrong^

As for what makes an engine sound the way it does: there are tons of variables. For example: firing order, cylinder bank orientation (in v engines), displacement, compression, cylinder head design: combustion chamber, exhaust ports, etc, and probably more reasons I havent listed.

Now on topic. Most engines are going to have a unique sound (due to the above) and they will all sound 'similar' no matter what, but there are exceptions.
*One of the biggest things in how an exhaust sounds is, as stated, the diameter of the tubing used. Also the material used will affect the sound of the exhaust.
*Mufflers, resonators, and catalytic converters all play a role in the exhaust note and can be used to tune it to a desired level. Fart cannons of course are going to be louder and raspier than a chambered muffler, but flow more efficiently.
*Almost forgot about the headers. These will change the tone also. Cast vs tubular. Adjusting the lengths of the headers will change the exhaust note also.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head for now.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well yeah i understand but it does make a noise difference. but yeah there are way to many variables that play a part.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The way an engine sounds is directly related to displacement and port design from my own experience. Changing the exhaust set up will not change the "way" an engine sounds as much as you would think just make it more loud or more quiet. I can always tell what car is rumbling down the road. A chevy sounds a certain way and is way different than a ford.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good to see this still alive.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Trial User

Well, it WAS alive! LOL

I found this thread while googling "tune exhaust tone". I do own a Honda; however, it's a '79 CB400T motorcycle I plan to chop up. I want to create an exhaust that's as deep and throaty as a tiny engine can muster. As you've already figured, that's going to be near to impossible, but it's something to play with.

As I got the bike for free, I'm game for all the weird porting and piping nonsense I can dream up. I was hoping to find some comparable science on this thread, and while there were several very helpful posts, none has given me anything that would translate to such a small application as mine.

In further googling, I found a few other sites that may help those here who are looking to improve their exhaust tone, so I figured I'd start a trial membership just to share them:

http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...riable-exhaust - excellent site, this directs to the end of a long page of good info. Talks about tuned headers and variable backpressure systems.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler.htm - alternately titled "Mufflers for Dummies." Needless to say, I fall into that category, so this site really fit the bill.

http://www.supertrapp.com/resource/faqs.asp - some form-letter-style questions for those tip-style mufflers. Not just for bikes anymore, either!

http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/faq.html - Of no use to me, as these are much too large to use on a bike, but something of their pseudo-science may be useful to someone here.

Hope something here helps!
Nick
Old 12-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

still going strong!