Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Designing a race cars exterior appearance is hard lol

Old 01-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Designing a race cars exterior appearance is hard lol

Maybe you guys can help me out with this. I have picked up a sponsorship from a pretty good sized company as well as several small local ones. They all want their stickers on my car, my issue is figuring out where to put them and making it look tasteful. I have been googling for the last 2 hours just looking at cars and the biggest issue I come up with is no one builds 4dr Integra (except for my dumbass lol). Maybe people can post up pics of their 4dr race cars or their buddies, idk just kinda at a loss for where to put these stickers!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:15 PM
RESIDENT

Default Re: Designing a race cars exterior appearance is hard lol

Originally Posted by guy_from_nerk
Maybe you guys can help me out with this. I have picked up a sponsorship from a pretty good sized company as well as several small local ones. They all want their stickers on my car, my issue is figuring out where to put them and making it look tasteful. I have been googling for the last 2 hours just looking at cars and the biggest issue I come up with is no one builds 4dr Integra (except for my dumbass lol). Maybe people can post up pics of their 4dr race cars or their buddies, idk just kinda at a loss for where to put these stickers!!!
Nerk, I have always thought about doing a painted strip along the bottom of the car. Basically paint (say a white strip) on the bottom, put stickers over stripe, respray car original color where strip was, remove stickers, have all sponsors in the exact same color, spacing, height.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah that'd be pretty cool. I like the way cars with vynal wraps look too but honestly I dont know anyone locally that does them
Old 01-16-2012, 09:20 PM
RESIDENT

A wrap would be cool, just not too sure about longevity of them, and what if you needed to add or delete sponsors?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats a good point, what is everyones opinion regarding stickers being on your car supporting companies that aren't sponsoring you? I have a few companies I have dealt with that have been really awesome to deal with i.e Laskey Racing, that I wouldn't mind repping even if they arent a "sponsor"
Old 01-17-2012, 01:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't put any stickers of a company that don't help me. Screw that why should I give them publicity for nothing. Also, I've had stickers on the body and it has pulled off paint.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B18c1turboedEK
I don't put any stickers of a company that don't help me. Screw that why should I give them publicity for nothing. Also, I've had stickers on the body and it has pulled off paint.
X2 X2 agree on that a lot of people they get new parts and the first they do is start looking for the sticker for their window lol.

And the more support u get from the company the bigger the sticker get on the car !!!!!!Nice and simple
Old 01-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't put any stickers of a company that don't help me. Screw that why should I give them publicity for nothing.
Good point and understandable. but thats your opinion and preference.
Personally I feel that stance can hurt you as well. Not to say that you HAVE to put everyones stickers on the car, but be more open minded and generous on supporting some companies you may like or that you may have products of regardless if they helped you in someway or not.
Companies do look at cars that are on the track and watch racers who support them. Cars that show continued support of a brand or product can be approached at anytime or be used to get your car shown in ads, etc.

People from companies talk to each other as well so some guy from X company can possibly refer your car for something to another company. You just never know what doors it can open up and connections you can make. Your car is your resume to network with racers and everyone else.

Companies ask me all the time to refer them racers to work with. Not all are in the mix of who is who in the industry. So they ask who I can vouch for and is a good person to deal with. I'm just going to say, I would put the person who is unselfish and would give their all on the top of that list of people. Decals are such a simple way of saying thank you, I like your product, and I support it. It wont hurt to put a few on a race car.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree to disagree. Basically I see it like this I don't it for the love of the sport. I don't do it for sponsorship or advisement for my by business. I do it because I love to, I don't make money on it at all. Alot of companies say they do it for the love of the sport and some may, but at the end of the day their making from it.
Will I have both your wheels and front end. I don't see the need of advertising for you the product should speak for itself.
People always want to know how to get sponsors. If you need sponsors to finish or build a car you in the wrong sport.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was sporting a decal for my local shop for the longest because they work with me on what I want to do. Never asked for anything and really don't need it but I figured why not support someone that's helping me on the daily. He approached me about it and I just roll with it.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree to disagree. Basically I see it like this I don't it for the love of the sport. I don't do it for sponsorship or advisement for my by business. I do it because I love to, I don't make money on it at all. Alot of companies say they do it for the love of the sport and some may, but at the end of the day their making from it.
Will I have both your wheels and front end. I don't see the need of advertising for you the product should speak for itself.
People always want to know how to get sponsors. If you need sponsors to finish or build a car you in the wrong sport.
Totally respect that man. Like I said, its your preference and opinion. My point was, I would gladly refer sponsorships and vouches to racers I know that are loyal and show appreciation for a company. Its not for everyone tp do but for some it maybe beneficial you know.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:51 AM
no one wants to hear the truth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dominic's sister in The fast and the furious had a 4dr integra so take notes bub.Because race car
Old 01-17-2012, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lmfao wow this got off track a little bit, oh well I don't mind. She did have a 4dr didn't she, damn I totally forgot haha. I am scared that the stickers will peel paint off as well, but if it happens it just gives me an excuse to repaint the car a different color lol. Hey exospeed, wanna sponsor me? I need a front end and some rear skinnies, I already got your sticker laying in my shop from when I picked up a set of VPD's lmfao!!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you were interested in a vehicle wrap, I have seen them hold up pretty well. Seen them on some race cars and know a guy that has some done on a few work trucks he uses for construction/paving. Far as I know they are pretty tough.

As for the layout of the actual design, coming from a graphic designer, I would say find stuff that you like liking at, does not even have to really be on a car. Once you find enough cars or anything that you think are appealing to you, just use that stuff as reference material to layout your stickers/design. It is hard to make your mind up or help someone else along if you are not really sure what you like in the first place. I hope that makes sense.....
Old 01-17-2012, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes wraps are pretty durable. We didnt wash our car for 3 years with the wrap. Just wiped it down. There's partial wraps as well if you cant spend on a full wrap. So keep that in mind when designing your scheme.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I do car wraps, done plenty for big companies. Longevity as long as it's 3M material, it's good for 3 to 5 years. Warrantied by 3M for any type of defects in the material.

On race cars, the material would last longer, assuming the car is kept mostly indoors when not in use. (1/4 mile racing)

I just don't see a race car being wrapped the same design for more then a couple years. Most guys will have new designs in mind, remove certain sponsors so on and so forth.

Average wrap on a civic coupe with design cost anywhere between $1900.00-$2500.00

That's with decent margins. Just an average for you guys to get an idea.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get it wrapped! You can go with whatever design you please, or keep it plain, plus the car doesn't have to go down for say a week to get a new paint job, or touch up spots.

As far as the non-sponsored stickers. I have a few companies that have supported me in HUGE ways, such as Golden Eagle Mfg., Strada Ind., Brian Crower, Get Power House, ext.. That I would rep stickers for any day. I've experienced excellent customer service from them all, even with me being in Afghanistan! Heck, Golden Eagle even sent me a care package! Strada has always answered my questions quickly, and really hooked me up! Even Chris Miller has hooked me up. I think Exospeed explained that one really well though!

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I like the look of wraps but don't think I wanna put the money towards one, I would rather spend the money making the car faster lol. Thanks for all the replies back guys

Last edited by guy_from_nerk; 01-17-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait, wraps don't add hp?

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2012, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just buy a roll of magnet cut it out and stick the stickers on it
Old 01-18-2012, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what is everyones opinion regarding stickers being on your car supporting companies that aren't sponsoring you?
i've been running a small ´webster race engineering´sticker on my rear window since 09.

amazing guy saved my event in the UK helping a little guy out (runs a 1000whp street MG himself and designs/builds topfuel dragster chassis)

someone willing to help me, i'd gladly do somehting back, even when i'm not rocking his products
Old 01-18-2012, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ A little appreciation of someone can go along way when you least expect it.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HPgonewild
^ A little appreciation of someone can go along way when you least expect it.
I second that.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Take a look at touring cars, specifically british touring car championship (btcc) for how to decal 4-doors. punching btcc into google images returns a lot of good stuffs
Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ Thanks for the idea! Haha 30 seconds into looking I realized 99% of the cars posted are wrapped haha