Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how to change manual transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to change manual transmission fluid

Just as the title says, Does anyone know or knows how to DIY a B16 transmission fluid drained and refill... A write up with pictures would be great.....
Old 04-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure there's either a DIY on here or out on the web some where. Search first....
Old 05-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blk92_d16)

ok, pictures, bah. i'll explain, if your looking over the core support into the bay, you have your passenger side engine mount, and passenger side axle. you need 4 tools to do this, an 8 mm a long extension and a good long funnel, half inch ratchet and a 3/8" ratchet. lift the car, and there will be a drain plug bolt, its just the 3/8" ratchet head its gold and directly under the passenger side axle. remove that bolt and drain the tranny. then on the passenger side of the car, there is a half inch ratchet head bolt you need to remove to properly fill the tranny, if you look up from the axle you see the long part of the case portruding out from the engine its almost right under the frame rail. remove that plug. then back to the engine bay, remove your vss, and then fill. the vss is on top of the tranny case on the back near the b bracket. any questions? ask.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to change manual transmission fluid (Ek4 life)

i didnt read the post above lol but its easy. if you lay underneath the car. next to where the axle goes into the tranny there is a bolt that you stick the 3/8 drive ratchet into. no socket just the ratchet head. thats the drain plug. then fill it up threw the speed sensor which is a think a 10mm bolt nd u gte pull the sensor out nd fill it up 2 qts of 10w30 oil as recommended in the honda manuel
Old 05-13-2008, 09:13 PM
HT White Ops

The B16 drain plug is closer to the fill plug, but this will give you the idea...

Old 05-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i was told by honda that the car needs to be leveled. Fill it up till fluid start to come out the fill plug. If you put to much it might burn out somthing in your tranny. Just a word from one of the honda service MGR. Good luck anyways.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (laziebun)

What fluid are you planning on using when you change it? I would recommend the AMSOIL synchromesh mtf - meets and exceeds honda's recommendations and helps get rid of slight grinds.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:12 PM

tranny fluid doesnt go where the speed sensor there should be a plug right above the drain plug somewhat bigger then the draig plug
Old 07-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MrB16vtec
tranny fluid doesnt go where the speed sensor there should be a plug right above the drain plug somewhat bigger then the draig plug

Agreed. The factory service manual says to make sure the car is on a level surface and pour in mtf until it runs out of the filler hole. That way your trans has the proper fluid level.

Who the **** ever told you to fill through the VSS?
Old 07-07-2009, 02:30 PM

Default Re: how to change manual transmission fluid

that's what i was thinking in my head where the hell did he get that from !!
Old 07-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Theres a write up on here where someone did that. But the right way is better. Unless you know exactly how much youre putting in, still do it the right way.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about flishing it? do shops pump the old out and the nw in or no? I have a 3rd gear grind I was hoping new fluid would fix that but my friend isnt sure if it needs to be flushed with a pump or if you can just change it right at your house.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FlewByU352
what about flishing it? do shops pump the old out and the nw in or no? I have a 3rd gear grind I was hoping new fluid would fix that but my friend isnt sure if it needs to be flushed with a pump or if you can just change it right at your house.
Drain and fill is all you need. If you wanted to you could leave the drain plug open and pour some new gear oil in to kind of flush remnents of the old out.

Changing the fluid isn't likely to fix your grind in 3rd. Time to replace some syncros.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jackal6042
Drain and fill is all you need. If you wanted to you could leave the drain plug open and pour some new gear oil in to kind of flush remnents of the old out.

Changing the fluid isn't likely to fix your grind in 3rd. Time to replace some syncros.
I heard of syncromesh fixing the 3rd gear grind when high RPM in 2nd shifting to 3rd. If thats not going to solve the problem how much is it to change the syncros? I assume more than the motor is worth.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I heard of syncromesh fixing the 3rd gear grind when high RPM in 2nd shifting to 3rd. If thats not going to solve the problem how much is it to change the syncros? I assume more than the motor is worth.
Honda part number: 23623-P21-315
SLEEVE SET, SYNCHRONIZER (3-4)
List is like $230, www.hondapartsdeals.com sells it for like $175 plus shipping. You said you had a B16 which is a good motor, so your options are this... Try a fluid change, when that doesn't work either rebuild the trans you have or buy a new trans. A rebuild would be better in my opinion but if you haven't done some more intensive work such as rebuilding an engine or a trans then your best bet might be to buy a different trans.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda part number: 23623-P21-315
SLEEVE SET, SYNCHRONIZER (3-4)
List is like $230, www.hondapartsdeals.com sells it for like $175 plus shipping. You said you had a B16 which is a good motor, so your options are this... Try a fluid change, when that doesn't work either rebuild the trans you have or buy a new trans. A rebuild would be better in my opinion but if you haven't done some more intensive work such as rebuilding an engine or a trans then your best bet might be to buy a different trans.
I have a D16Y8, wish I had a B16. Is that $175 just for the 3rd gear syncro? or all the gears replaced? then I need to have that dfone which will cost a lot.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ek4 life
Just as the title says, Does anyone know or knows how to DIY a B16 transmission fluid drained and refill... A write up with pictures would be great.....
OK, I thought you had a B16 based on your first post, my bust I guess.

That part number I mentioned is for a B16 trans, and no it isn't just the 3rd gear synchro, its for the 3-4 synchro sleeve set, number 7 in the image below. So the whole syncro assemblies for 3rd and 4th gear.

Now for your D16Y8 the cost for parts would be about the same. And if you can't do work like this yourself you would be better off buying a used trans.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I spent about 850 on having the 3-4 gear sychros replaced at a "reputable" local transmission shop...they definitely forgot to put a few bolts back in too... Douche bags.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FearTheH
I spent about 850 on having the 3-4 gear sychros replaced at a "reputable" local transmission shop...they definitely forgot to put a few bolts back in too... Douche bags.

WOW!!! Was it like the bolts that hold the housings together or something? Yeah they sure are "reputable" as you said. Sorry to hear you got screwed like that.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FearTheH
I spent about 850 on having the 3-4 gear sychros replaced at a "reputable" local transmission shop
I dont even think my whole engine is worth that much. I dont plan on keeping the D forever I want to swap but dont have the cash right now for what I want. Should I just drive it maybe try the syncromesh and whatever happens, happens run it until it wont go in 3rd?

Last edited by FlewByU352; 07-07-2009 at 10:01 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont even think my whole engine is worth that much. I dont plan on keeping the D forever I want to swap but dont have the cash right now for what I want. Should I just drive it maybe try the syncromesh and whatever happens, happens run it until it wont go in 3rd?
Yeah the syncromesh might help a little for now. Just dont be all trying to race people and **** slamming it into 3rd. Well unless you have another car to drive until you save the $ for the swap. If you don't have another car then just dont beat it into gear in the meantime.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the syncromesh might help a little for now. Just dont be all trying to race people and **** slamming it into 3rd. Well unless you have another car to drive until you save the $ for the swap. If you don't have another car then just dont beat it into gear in the meantime.
Well I got a way to not grind 3rd, double clutching into it works. Its good I have to do that because i'm getting pretty fast at double clutching just like pumping the clutch real quick in and out its smooth. Still though it takes longer to shift. I would like to atleast temporarily resolve the problem I would hate to have 3rd completely go when I dont have another motor yet.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

filling through the vss is the easiest way and is still just as effective. just don't change the amount of fluid you're introducing.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

try some pennzoil syncromesh $7/quart first, it helped with my 2nd gear grind
Old 05-23-2010, 08:40 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Who the **** ever told you to fill through the VSS?
that's what i was thinking in my head where the hell did he get that from !!
Yes, you fill through the speed sensor, unless you like trying to pour fluid through a horizontal hole. Using the fill bolt is the 'official' way, but using the VSS is the better way... because you can just pour it in from the top using a regular funnel. It doesn't matter whatsoever. Both holes go to the same place, and VSS is easier.

Seriously, read that again. Pouring fluid in the vehicle speed sensor hole is exactly the same as pouring it in the fill hole. It all just dumps into the bellhousing. Look at a transmission schematic if you don't believe me.

I can't believe so many of you guys are still filling though the fill hole. I've been using the VSS method for 8 years on all my Civics. It takes about 10 minutes start to finish for a drain and fill.

So, here's how you do it the easy way:
1. Level car. Remove drain bolt AND fill bolt to drain fluid. Put drain bolt back.
2. Remove airbox and intake arm for easier access. Or don't.
3. Remove vehicle speed sensor.
4. Add fluid through speed sensor hole until it fills up to the fill hole.
5. Put fill bolt back. Put VSS and airbox back.

Quick Reply: how to change manual transmission fluid