Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Passed MSF & got my license

Old 04-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passed MSF & got my license

What's up everyone. I've been wanting to get a bike for years, and in the last couple of months I finally decided I was going to get one. So I started reading many internet forums to learn as much as I could. I took the MSF, am getting full coverage, and bought gear. I recently passed the MSF course and got my license. It wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be because the guy teaching it was kind of a **** on getting things perfectly right, which I thought was a bit ridiculous considering most of us had never ridden a bike before. But by the end I wanted to get out on the road. Anyhow, I passed and got my license and plan on getting my first bike in the next month or two. I'm planning on getting an '03-'05 600RR.

I already know what most of the replies are going to be to that statement because I've been reading these threads for a LONG time.

Let me say I'm nearing 28 years old so I'm no 17 year old. I intend to take things VERY slow until I figure them out. I do plenty of track days in the car in my sig so I have no reason to get stupid on the street. I know to keep it at the track (which I intend to do down the road).

Anyway, I already bought most of my street gear. The only thing left I have to get is my pants and I'm going to get Dragginjeans for now. While I know what most people think about those give me some slack. I live in Orlando and just about every idiot I see riding around is wearing shorts/t-shirts with no helmets so these are better than that for sure.

Here's the rest of the stuff I already bought:

Frank Thomas SP Tech Boots
Alpinestars GP Plus gloves
Joe Rocket Phoenix 6.0 jacket
Icon Field Armor Vest
Icon Leg Field Armor
Shoei RF-1000 Voyager helmet

I'm getting full coverage insurance too which is a joke at my age. Less than $400 a year through State Farm.

Well, I just wanted to formally say hello and join the motorcycle forum of Honda-tech, although I've already been posting. lol

***Awaits for GraphiteAccord's comment***

Old 04-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Passed MSF & got my license (96 SOHC VTEC)

Congrats. You should look into some proper pants though.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:24 PM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

You might be better off with a good back protector (I'm getting the Tpro forcefield) over the icon vest

I got some Joe Rocket 7.0 over pants for my commute. Motorcycle superstore has the Fieldsheer boosters for $99 right now which I hear are very good textile pants

Old 04-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Passed MSF & got my license (ucb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ucb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might be better off with a good back protector (I'm getting the Tpro forcefield) over the icon vest

I got some Joe Rocket 7.0 over pants for my commute. Motorcycle superstore has the Fieldsheer boosters for $99 right now which I hear are very good textile pants

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? That was kind of the reason I bought the Icon vest because I didn't like the armor that came in my jacket although I left it in to have both. I look like a hunch back wearing both but so what.

I will take a look at the pants. Will I get hot as hell in those?
Old 04-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Congratulations on your license. MSF is a fun class and I'd honestly like to re-take it again sometime just to refresh my brain.

Anyway, looking forward to see what bike you'll be getting. Ride safe.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

congrats on passing the msf

i love those gloves

those pants ucb is talking about are textile, so they'll breathe somewhat comfortably. but any kind of pants in fla heat will be hot.

i dont wanna say that you've bitten off more than you can chew by choosing a 600rr as a first bike. but with the right attitude (and proper wrist control) you'll do just fine. your learning curve will be very different from someone who started out on a 250/older 600. but imo you'll be fine.

how far is orlando from tampa?
Old 04-21-2008, 05:39 PM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 SOHC VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Really? That was kind of the reason I bought the Icon vest because I didn't like the armor that came in my jacket although I left it in to have both. I look like a hunch back wearing both but so what.

I will take a look at the pants. Will I get hot as hell in those?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah the Tpro is supposed to be really good, has inner straps that you can wear under the jacket so it doesnt shift around

Get the Joe rocket version, its the same exact thing but $25 cheaper
Old 04-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Passed MSF & got my license (ucb)

Congrats man.

As for body armor, in all honesty a horse/bull riding vest is the best option if you're 100% about safety. Yea it would not be the best bet if you plan on socializing and such, but if your going out on long rides, then it's a great option. The guys on WERA got into checking them out, and the impact resistance is far greater than any other motorcycle armor. It's thicker, transmits less impact to your body, and covers your entire core (not just the chest/spine). Just figured I'd pass this onto the /26 group for those that take gear very seriously.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGlovr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGlovr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">congrats on passing the msf

i love those gloves

those pants ucb is talking about are textile, so they'll breathe somewhat comfortably. but any kind of pants in fla heat will be hot.

i dont wanna say that you've bitten off more than you can chew by choosing a 600rr as a first bike. but with the right attitude (and proper wrist control) you'll do just fine. your learning curve will be very different from someone who started out on a 250/older 600. but imo you'll be fine.

how far is orlando from tampa?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I love these gloves too! I had the best gloves in the class hands down. Several people had winter gloves? I had to send them back and get a bigger size though. I wore a large throughout MSF and it was killing my hands. My knuckles and fingers were all torn up by the end. It was becoming so painful that I had trouble turning the throttle towards the end. I exchanged them for XL. They should be here in a few days.

And guys I already bought the Icon Vest so I'll probably hang onto that for awhile. I'll take a look at the back protector though.

Tampa is about 2 hours from where I live. I live on the east side of Orlando. Lake Mary area.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:13 PM

Default Re: (96 SOHC VTEC)

excellent! welcome to the family
Old 04-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mookie)

One more thing.... is motorcycle superstore a reliable place to buy things from? I just had a horrible experience with ridegear and I'm trying to be careful who I buy things from now.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Congratumalations!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you talkin about http://imotorcyclestore.com/ ? ive heard good things about them
Old 04-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGlovr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGlovr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you talkin about http://imotorcyclestore.com/ ? ive heard good things about them</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, this was the place actually.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

Specifically

http://www.motorcycle-supersto....aspx

Old 04-21-2008, 08:00 PM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

I havnt ordered anything from them, I would have gotten those pants, I didn't realize they dropped the price $40

I got some joe rocket 7.0s instead for $125
Old 04-21-2008, 08:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 SOHC VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, this was the place actually.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

Specifically

http://www.motorcycle-supersto....aspx

</TD></TR></TABLE>

great shop to deal with, but I like to support the discount-style stores to make them always know we're looking for good deals.

motorcyclecloseouts.com

newenough.com
Old 04-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sportbiketrackgear.com too

i personally would stay away from icon, but thats mainly because their stuff doesnt seem to fit me as well as astars, dainese, etc..

and congrats!

welcome to our dysfunctional family lol
Old 04-21-2008, 08:16 PM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GraphiteAccord)

motostrano.com has some good stuff

extremesupply has cheap prices, but most of their **** isnt in stock

I got my pants from DSR power sports
Old 04-21-2008, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member