Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 04-16-2008, 05:05 AM   #1
plainjayne
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default 1992 Honda Accord EX won't start.PLEASE HELP!!

My 1992 Honda Accord suddenly died on me. It turns over and cranks, but won't start. The battery also keeps dying after I get a boost. The battery isn't even 1 year old. It seems as if it's out of gas. I can hear the fuel pump running and there is gas, so I checked the spark plugs. There are no sparks coming from the plugs. I put the coil on (no luck), after that I put the distributor and rotor button on (no luck). I'm at my wits end and have found nothing else that could be possibly wrong. I can say this, the enitre dash went out (gas gauge, odometer, tach, speedometer) plus, the windows and door locks stopped. After I put the distributor on they all started back working.....STRANGE? Yes, I thought so too! However I'm a girl trying to fix her own car, the most I've done to a car before this was put gas in it!! Oh..I did replace the main relay this summer. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me some advice. Thanks so much!! :-) Click the image to open in full size.
plainjayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:12 AM   #2
2accrds
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 1992 Honda Accord EX won't start.PLEASE HELP!! (plainjayne)

Make sure the timing belt is not broken.
2accrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
bseriescrxsi
Honda-Tech Member
1995 Dodge Neon
My Garage

Send a message via AIM to bseriescrxsi
Default Re: 1992 Honda Accord EX won't start.PLEASE HELP!! (2accrds)

if the timing belt was broken cranking it wouldve already done the damage......well you said the gauges went out and now work after a new distributor.....those two arent related so you need to figure out why it happened....did you check all the ground wires to the engine?.....also have your alternator tested,,,could be a bad alternator and have the battery tested that could be bad(i had one that was bad when i bought it) so they can go bad fast.....as for no spark check the ignition system and have someone help you track down why your not getting spark
Old 04-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
SinsEvil666
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to SinsEvil666

Take out your distrubutor cap, dont unplug cables so you wont lose firing order. Have someone crank it, some circle thing in the distributor shoudl turn when cranking it (idk its name) , if not you need a new timing belt. Like bseries said, check the ignition system, grab a tester and check all the wires, (when having the key turned to on position). u should be able to test where the spark dies.

http://www.myspace.com/southbaycritical
SinsEvil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
firefighter2461
New User
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 1992 Honda Accord EX won't start.PLEASE HELP!!

Try checking your main relay. Located high under the dash. I have a 92 Accord EX and I had the same problem. So frustrating! I tested the ignitor coil and it ohmed bad (replaced it). All other starting components were fine. But when I started reading other forums about the main relay over and over again I decided to make the effort!! Was well worth it!! Click the URL at the bottom of my reply it'll walk you through all the steps! Also, I took a large magnifying glass and you could see the cracks at the solder joints! Just look REALLY close at each joint and all around it as it is hard to see with the naked eye! I almost missed a cracked joint. Have had zero problems since the fix! Hope it works out for you!!http://techauto.te.funpic.org/mainrelaydefine.php
firefighter2461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
andy_azn1
New User
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 1992 Honda Accord EX won't start.PLEASE HELP!!

you said you changed the coil, cap n rotor, have you changed the ignitor yet ??located inside the distrubutor. if still no spark then check the fuses underdash n under hood, make sure all the fuse is good.
andy_azn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
1992, 2002, 92, accord, battery, belt, broke, dying, firing, ground, honda, locations, order, start, timing, wont