Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

CG tranny onto a d16z6 - everything you wanted to know

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CG tranny onto a d16z6 - everything you wanted to know

i forgot all about this thread....

its been so long i cant even remember i think i ended up using the CG intermediate shaft and modifying it some. ill have to go look at it again to make sure.

here is where youll need to grind on the outer case a little to clear the lsd. if you dont grind it down like i didnt do the first time since i didnt know, then when you putt he case together it will put pressure up against the lsd and internals wont be able to move.

Name:  cgtrans22-1.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  86.6 KB
Old 06-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks heaps mate, do you mind if I link that photo on to the pr*ludepower.com board in my cg hybrid trans/b16 lsd thread? Those guys will absolutely love it!

So if you ended up using the CG inter shaft, Would the inboard side of that intershaft be the same as the inboard side of the axle on the other side? Or indeed are all the splined ends on the inter shafts / half shafts / cv cups; all the same?

Basically, I just have to double check with the prelude and accord guys if they could use our prelude 2.0si shafts with the stock CG diff and in that case they will also work with B16 Quaife unit! )or better yet test on my own CG) Incidentally, our A series did not get intermediate shafts. I thought about doing the mod but seems no real point if installing an LSD anyway as the LSD should account for it.

Sorry I hope you don't mind this deviation from your thread, but a lot of A series guys wopuld be coming across this thread in searching for b16 lsd solutions for the CG tranny.

Thanks again,

Hayden
Old 06-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zoldrin
Thanks heaps mate, do you mind if I link that photo on to the pr*ludepower.com board in my cg hybrid trans/b16 lsd thread? Those guys will absolutely love it!

So if you ended up using the CG inter shaft, Would the inboard side of that intershaft be the same as the inboard side of the axle on the other side? Or indeed are all the splined ends on the inter shafts / half shafts / cv cups; all the same?

Basically, I just have to double check with the prelude and accord guys if they could use our prelude 2.0si shafts with the stock CG diff and in that case they will also work with B16 Quaife unit! )or better yet test on my own CG) Incidentally, our A series did not get intermediate shafts. I thought about doing the mod but seems no real point if installing an LSD anyway as the LSD should account for it.

Sorry I hope you don't mind this deviation from your thread, but a lot of A series guys wopuld be coming across this thread in searching for b16 lsd solutions for the CG tranny.

Thanks again,

Hayden
yea its not problem to share it. i use to be all into A-series long time ago myself lol

i looked and i did use the CG shaft. and yes theyre all the same spline on both sides.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mike93eh2
yea its not problem to share it. i use to be all into A-series long time ago myself lol

i looked and i did use the CG shaft. and yes theyre all the same spline on both sides.
Thank you, you're a legend! And get back into those A series man! You're already half way there with you trans!

Do you have anything to say about which LSD to use? All information seems to point towards Quaife, but wavetrac is taking my interest now...
Old 06-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive never had any problems with $300 obx lsd in my d16y8 or in my cg trans..
Old 10-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I'm in the middle of this swap but it's going into a 1g CRX with a D16a6. For the starter I used an M10x1.25 Helicoil rather than opening up the hole to an M12 as others have. The D16a1 intermediate shaft only bolts up to one hole. I cut out a section of the bracket and welded the bracket to fit so two bolts were usable. On the 1g CRX you use stock drivers side engine bracket and bolt it to where the Power Steering pump would bolt up. Only two of the three bolt holes line up so just as with the intermediate shaft I cut a section out and welded the two sections back together.

At this point I have not bolted the motor into the car so I'm not sure if I'm going to have to shim any of the brackets to get everything lined up correctly. The plan is to have it in tomorrow night and have it running so I can shake it down on Sunday at a local circuit.

Z
Old 10-06-2010, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi Zephyr!

I may not be a regular poster on honda-tech but I am watchign this thread and keenly await your progress. I have my own CG tranny sitting at home awaiting a rebuild and transfer to a 2nd gen prelude tranny housing for my A20A4 build.

Look forward to some good work mate.

Z
Old 10-06-2010, 03:53 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we mated one of these to a d15bvtec in an 86 crx. we welded various bracketry to the shaft-mount and got it to bolt to 4 or 5 different place all over the block. its worked for 20-30k miles, and many track days.

might be a good over-kill idea for you guys.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redzcstandardhatch
we mated one of these to a d15bvtec in an 86 crx. we welded various bracketry to the shaft-mount and got it to bolt to 4 or 5 different place all over the block. its worked for 20-30k miles, and many track days.

might be a good over-kill idea for you guys.
mine is barely mounted. only one bolt goes through a hole, the other 2 bolts justy have big washers on them and basically put pressure against the bracket... been running like this since i put the cg trans in and tons of miles and 10 second runs...
Old 10-06-2010, 05:29 PM
something different

mine is barely mounted. only one bolt goes through a hole, the other 2 bolts justy have big washers on them and basically put pressure against the bracket... been running like this since i put the cg trans in and tons of miles and 10 second runs...
hahaha

thats awesome..

there realistically isnt a lot of force on it.(as you've proved obviously)..its more about stabilization i'd imagine.

we knew we were doing the overkill-route.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I put the whole mess into my car last night. Everything dropped right in. I had some clearance issues with my header which were fixable. Also had to massage the alternator bracket as it was contacting the brake MC. I'll be firing up the old girl tonight and shakin her down on Sunday.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where did u grind down on the inside of the casing to clear the presure plate/clutch? and how much? also, how much of the casing did you grind down where the lsd sits?
Old 10-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by UltimX
where did u grind down on the inside of the casing to clear the presure plate/clutch? and how much? also, how much of the casing did you grind down where the lsd sits?
there should be pics somewhere in this thread..and as far as how much to grind? about a 1/4" or less id guess. for the lsd just place it in the case and spin it and you will see where you need to grind. you can do the same with the clutch/flywheel.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

saw the pic of where u grind for the lsd but no pressure plate... unless i'm blind haha
Old 01-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by UltimX
saw the pic of where u grind for the lsd but no pressure plate... unless i'm blind haha
dont have pics of that, sorry.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:42 PM
something different

its pretty obvious, when you look at the inside of the bellhousing, what spot you need to grind. its a small little area, and easy to do.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey mike I like your thread it makes me smile. I knew I wasn't alone in this world. I haven't swapped a cg into anything, I've had one the whole time I roll a 87 crx si with a d16a1 teg swap in it. In our cars everything bolts right up Its turbo charged pushing 350hp and the cg trans was the PRIMARY reason of the build. they are bomb proof, except 3rd, you found that out the hard way, I did a number on my 3rd gear dog teeth, but I shift somewhat conservatively. Wow what else do you want to know about the trans? I wish you knew me in the beginning I could have saved you much heartache. what flywheel are you using? I use a civic 90+ lightweight cheapie fidanza flywheel coupled with a 84-87 prelude si disk 212mm 21spline and cheapie civic heavy duty pressure plate, had to shave down some of the inner webbing to make it fit, that bronze impregnated bushing was my idea!!! you stole it LOL! its the only solution to a different flywheel. did you know that 3g accords and prelude gears are interchangeable with the cg? you just have to use the cg lower case, so If you want taller gears you could mix and match with accord or prelude gears I like the integra gears with accord lxi final drive. 4.09x1 perfect for 1/4m I like your hydro slave. wish i had one. kinda heavy pedal, maybe I'll fabricate something for the 1g. keep up the good work! if you need any advice holla.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So far since doing my swap I've done 9 days at four different tracks, 7 of which were sprint races and have had no major issues. I ran into a minor issue with the shifter making contact with the floor which required me to shorten the linkage rod almost half an inch(must be done with a 1G CRX) as it was causing it to be really difficult to engage 3rd gear under braking plus the fact that I had to really reach for 3rd and 5th.

As I said initially I used the clutch for the CG transmission. Motor wise I have put in a massive Gude cam. A compression bump, intake manifold and larget TB are next.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

cant believe it took me this long to find this thread!

Awesome work.

i want!
Old 10-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hush22
cant believe it took me this long to find this thread!

Awesome work.

i want!
I'll sell you my whole transmission/driveshaft setup if you are interested. Unfortunately the final drive is not quite what is needed for road racing.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im looking for another CG transmission or gearset if anyone one...condition doesnt matter.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CG tranny onto a d16z6 - everything you wanted to know (mike93eh2)

well i couldnt find any 5/16-24 threaded rods or bolts long enough to replace this one on the slave to make it shorter so i just got a 5/16-24 die and threaded the rest of the rod and cut it down.

much shorter. dont know why they made it so long..
hey i was thinking about doing what you did how did it work out for you
Old 05-18-2014, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump cuz it seems still nobody knows
Old 05-18-2014, 11:49 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalcongo
bump cuz it seems still nobody knows
Many know, you were just outside the info loop.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know about your smoking bbq bone.
info loops, sounds scientific
lol

Quick Reply: CG tranny onto a d16z6 - everything you wanted to know