Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

AEM intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM intake

i just installed an AEM cold air intake in my 06 civic ex and i cant get the engine light to stay off, i had someone connect a computer to it and he saids its reading that theres more air then gas going into the engine, makein the engine light turn on. Anyone ever have this problem or no how to fix it??
Old 02-16-2008, 05:10 PM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: AEM intake (HondaDanny06)

Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:43 PM

Default Re: AEM intake (RICO_)

i did that a few times already and it keeps comeing back on
Old 02-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol get used to it. my CEL turns on and off whenever it wants to. (same intake)
Old 02-16-2008, 08:37 PM
NO MERCY!

Default Re: AEM intake (Nighthawk R18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nighthawk R18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol get used to it. my CEL turns on and off whenever it wants to. (same intake)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine hasnt. Time to get a new intake. Unless you feel like staring at that annoying little light. I wouldn't want it on because if something really DOES go wrong with the vehicle that's not related to the intake....then you will never know what it is because the light will already be triggered due to the intake. And you will think your car is fine when it's really not.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:32 AM

Default Re: AEM intake (RICO_)

theres gotta be a way to get that light off the guy told me i can install an MSD and tweek or maybe change the computer, but im wondering how come so many people have installed there intakes and havent come across this problem
Old 02-17-2008, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaDanny06 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">theres gotta be a way to get that light off the guy told me i can install an MSD and tweek or maybe change the computer, but im wondering how come so many people have installed there intakes and havent come across this problem</TD></TR></TABLE>

"the guy" has no idea what he's talking about. Don't ever listen to anything he tells you, ever again.

when you disconnect the battery, are you letting the car sit and idle for ~10 minutes afterwards? What is the actual code? Post some pics of the intake on the car, someone here might see something you didn't.

and also, have you called AEM with the issue?
Old 02-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM intake (IT GUY)

the code that i throw occasionally is p0171 system too lean bank 1
Old 02-17-2008, 02:19 PM

i dont remenber wut code it was but he did say something about lean bank just like the other guy on here. i just diconect the negative battery port for 10 min then when i turn it on i go for a drive. but im gonna disconect the intire battery now for 10 min and then imma let it idle for a while and see if that works, if it dont i will post some pics on here and i'll call AEM and see wut they say.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good Luck
Old 02-18-2008, 10:59 AM

well i disconected the intire battery for 10 min then i let the car idle for 20min, so far the engine light hasent turned back on, hopefully it will stay off. i will keep you posted.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:51 AM

Well the light came back on, this time i called a number i found on line for aem and the guy told me that since theres more air going in, the computer had to get used to it and that the air and gas would even it self out again eventually and the light would shut off. Or he siad that something might be lose and theres more air getting in, but iv checked it over and over and everything seems tight. does anyone no wut i should do? should i just wait and see if it turns off like the guy from aem said?
Old 02-20-2008, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's what you do:

1) Find Black Electrical Tape - Gloss or Flat depending upon you're own personal preference.

2) Cut a square piece.

3) Apply to your dashboard.

Moving foward, you might want to pay someone to do it right!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:37 AM

Location: In Diamond Bar, CA Brake Boosting like a Mother Focker!

Dont listen to road rage lol its a trick............. When you disconnect the battery try only disconnecting the negative. If that does not work check the clamps, maybe something is loose and lets "MORE" air in. I installed an Injen and I had no problems at all with my CEL.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:07 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaDanny06 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> the guy told me i can install an MSD and tweek or maybe change the computer, </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IT GUY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

"the guy" has no idea what he's talking about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

technically, HondaDanny06's guy is correct. you can install an msd dashhawk to get rid of the MIL for that value....

i run a dashhawk in my ms3 for monitoring purposes, instead of adding gauges, etc, but yes, it can clear MIL's too. you can't 'change' the ECU, but you can intercept MIL's- read them, clear them, etc.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM intake (builthatch)

I follow. The way it was said sounded like an MSD ignition box, and tweek or maybe change the computer sounded like someone thinking the ECU could be programmed or chipped.

The dashhawk is pretty cool, from what I've seen. Seems like it works out well for your MS3. I just didn't think of it when "an MSD" was brought up. Thanks for clearing that up builthatch
Old 02-20-2008, 09:22 AM
MiG-21 superfan

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IT GUY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I follow. The way it was said sounded like an MSD ignition box, and tweek or maybe change the computer sounded like someone thinking the ECU could be programmed or chipped.

The dashhawk is pretty cool, from what I've seen. Seems like it works out well for your MS3. I just didn't think of it when "an MSD" was brought up. Thanks for clearing that up builthatch </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, yeah yeah, i gotcha- some 'dude' saying, "yeah brah, i'll add a 6al and tune your computer for ya. it'll fix it for sure!"
Old 02-20-2008, 09:49 AM

If I were you I would check if everything is connected properly and everything is nice and tight.. Btw it guy... I was upset the other day excuse my temper.. Truce?
Old 02-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM intake (siboii08)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siboii08 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Btw it guy... I was upset the other day excuse my temper.. Truce? </TD></TR></TABLE>

No problem
Old 02-20-2008, 11:41 AM
MiG-21 superfan

OP, i didn't notice you were from vineland. go make friends with "Nicky" at Rossi Honda. He's a tech over there and is very good with aftermarket stuff. Being friends with him can help out greatly for all things Honda.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:05 AM

I'm getting close to buying a cold air intake for my 08 SI coupe. What's the best kind of intake for the money out there? What are the major differences between the AEM and the Injen? Am I going to expect the same CEL problems dannyboy did? I'm a bit of a do it yourselfer, but I don't wanna mess anything up. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AEM intake (mario-SI-08)

My friend has an 07si and had prob's with the AEM. Switched to Injen and no more prob's.

Just to let you know what I have heard.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:07 AM

Default Re: AEM intake (thesmogman)

Thanks for the info. It's amazing, that a tube...and that's all it is, a tube...could cause so many problems, yet another brand, of again, just a "tube" is good to go. I don't get it!

Any other information or opinions from anyone out there on the difference in brands of AEM or Injen? Thanks everyone!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:18 AM

and one more thing....upon bouncin around to different message forums, I've found some cats are sayin that there is no difference between the $260+ aem and injen : intakes and the $20 ebay junker onces. Could this be true? Are you really paying for just the name?!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is not just a tube, it is all about the placement of the MAF. I have the Injen and have never had a single CEL. I like Injen quality and don't feel the premium is too much.

Quick Reply: AEM intake