Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

How are the Volk Lugnuts not safe on OEM wheels? pics...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How are the Volk Lugnuts not safe on OEM wheels? pics...

how are they not safe? a couple of people have said so, but i looked at them both closely the rays and the oem and both look identical to me.. everything but weight...
can you please explain? here are some pics

Old 03-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Don't judge or question

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How are the Volk Lugnuts not safe on OEM wheels? pics... (ITRBOY1433)

Taken from the Wheel and Tire FAQ:

The "seating area" (or "seat") is the area of the lug nut, and the area of the wheel, that come in contact with each other. Stock Honda/Acura wheels have a ball/radius/spherical shaped seating area, and need lug nuts (such as stock lug nuts) which also have the same shaped seat. Aftermarket wheels use a tapered/conical/cone shaped seating area and need lug nuts (including most tuner lug nuts) which also have the same shaped seat. No, it is not safe to mix and match (stock wheel with tapered lugs or vice versa); the contact between the lugnut and the wheel will be insufficient, putting undue stress on them and potentially causing failure.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How are the Volk Lugnuts not safe on OEM wheels? pics... (ITRBOY1433)

The oem lugs have a rounded ball style exterior to sit in the oem wheel properly whereas the "tuner" style lugs are tapered like this \ / to suit most aftermarket wheels.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yah

be careful or this might happen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CuZyAnEAvM

Old 03-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How are the Volk Lugnuts not safe on OEM wheels? pics... (Big Phat R)

How the OP cannot see a difference between the 2 lugs is almost frightening.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How are the Volk Lugnuts not safe on OEM wheels? pics... (Big Phat R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Big Phat R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yah

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That about sums it up....

Best video ever! I remember seeing that last year on a local auto-x web forum.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can already see the red tuner lug changing shape
Old 03-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

volk lugs have been off, i just saw no difference, i guess im blind! that rx7 vid is hillarious
Old 03-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Big Phat R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yah

</TD></TR></TABLE>

that really sucks that happened.....but,I laughed my *** off watching that video......

Old 03-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How are the Volk Lugnuts not safe on OEM wheels? pics... (cmdr430)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPacPZuGGH8&NR=1

I like this version better, it has slowmotion of the car loosing its wheels
Old 03-18-2008, 06:28 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: How are the Volk Lugnuts not safe on OEM wheels? pics... (YellowKahuna)

The seating area is the area of the wheel, and the area of the lug nut, that come into contact with each other.

Below is a diagram that shows the difference in shape between lug nuts with a conical/tapered seating area, and lug nuts with a ball-shaped/spherical/radius seating area. It actually looks very much like your photo, which shows the red lug nuts with the tapered seat and the chrome lug nuts with the ball seat.

Most aftermarket wheels have a conical/tapered seating area, and need aftermarket lug nuts with the same shaped seating area. Honda/Acura wheels have a ball-shaped/spherical/radius seating area, and need lug nuts with the same shaped seating area.

If you use lug nuts with the same shaped seating area as the wheels, they come into contact across the entire area. If you use lug nuts with the wrong shaped seating area, they only come into contact along a circle, not across an area. What typically happens then is that they start to wear and/or work themselves loose. As the lug nuts loosen, you'll start to feel a vibration in the car. If you keep driving the car, the lug nuts will loosen enough so that the wheel starts to come off. If you're lucky, the wheel will stay on the car and you'll just bend the lugs (studs). If you're not so lucky, the lugs can snap or the lug nuts can work themselves all the way off, and as the corner of your car starts to drag on the road, you will see your wheel and tire rolling up ahead of your car.

Or, you can just use the proper lug nuts for your wheels. Your choice.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:06 PM
too LEGIT to quit

Default Re: How are the Volk Lugnuts not safe on OEM wheels? pics... (YellowKahuna)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YellowKahuna &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPacPZuGGH8&NR=1

I like this version better, it has slowmotion of the car loosing its wheels
</TD></TR></TABLE>

holy. crap.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How are the Volk Lugnuts not safe on OEM wheels? pics... (nsxtasy)

so i should use the stock lugnuts for my jdm 16s? and the gorilla lugnuts for my 16" works?
Old 03-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^yep, i believe so.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jomama)

it's always wound me up when I see people with OEM wheels (particularly JDM 16's) with 'tuner' lug nuts.

but.....they won't listen even if you do bother trying to tell them how unsafe it is, cos stock lug nuts don't look cool
Old 03-19-2008, 12:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tartje)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tartje &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's always wound me up when I see people with OEM wheels (particularly JDM 16's) with 'tuner' lug nuts.

but.....they won't listen even if you do bother trying to tell them how unsafe it is, cos stock lug nuts don't look cool </TD></TR></TABLE>

+1

i don't understand why people love the JDM ITR wheels in the first place. besides being heavy, they come in a real shitty offset. its like people that put up their "CTR" wheels for $700 because of the Honda centercaps
Old 03-19-2008, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How are the Volk Lugnuts not safe on OEM wheels? pics... (WheaMyRyceGo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WheaMyRyceGo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i should use the stock lugnuts for my jdm 16s? and the gorilla lugnuts for my 16" works?</TD></TR></TABLE>
STOCK!
Better not to loose your precious wheels then try to gain .000000001 hps.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i've used after market lugs on stock wheels...LITERALLY, since 1998 on my daily driver. NEVER ONCE have they come loose or even STARTED to. it's more hype and what-if than anything. if you like your lugs, use them. you will NOT have a problem.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tartje)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tartje &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's always wound me up when I see people with OEM wheels (particularly JDM 16's) with 'tuner' lug nuts.

but.....they won't listen even if you do bother trying to tell them how unsafe it is, cos stock lug nuts don't look cool </TD></TR></TABLE>

Colored lugz are tyt3 s0n!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mugen Mike)

So what about using stock lugs on aftermarket wheels? Would we be better off getting aftermarket lugs?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GSRswapandslow v2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRswapandslow v2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've used after market lugs on stock wheels...LITERALLY, since 1998 on my daily driver. NEVER ONCE have they come loose or even STARTED to. it's more hype and what-if than anything. if you like your lugs, use them. you will NOT have a problem.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you for your input Mr. 10 posts still not worth the gamble
Old 03-19-2008, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm glad i sold my JDM rims i had volk ray lug nuts now their on my spoons instead
Old 03-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRswapandslow v2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've used after market lugs on stock wheels...LITERALLY, since 1998 on my daily driver. NEVER ONCE have they come loose or even STARTED to. it's more hype and what-if than anything. if you like your lugs, use them. you will NOT have a problem.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Congrats, Darwin is waiting around the corner for you.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^No doubt . I think Darwin is packing a hammer too
Old 03-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRswapandslow v2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've eaten lead paint chips...LITERALLY, since I was a toddler. NEVER ONCE have I had any health issues. it's more hype and what-if than anything. if you like to eat lead paint chips, eat them. you will NOT have a problem.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Quick Reply: How are the Volk Lugnuts not safe on OEM wheels? pics...