Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Ridgeline : MDX : Odyssey : Pilot : RDX
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 03-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
relica
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default broken u-joint 99 crv (front end of propeller shaft)

I have a 99 CRV and the U-joint on the front end of the propeller shaft has broken. (Lucky I wasn't on the highway....just coming out of a parking lot actually)

Anyway the front end is apart, where the joint broke, so can I pull the shaft forward to remove it from the middle joint. It looks like I can. I'm hoping to remove it and drive it home to fix it.
relica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:38 AM   #2
newby_j
Needs More Cowbell
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: broken u-joint 99 crv (Do Not Want)

can you post a few pics of the issue?

if by removing it from the middle joint, you mean pulling it out of the carrier bearing, that isn't going to happen. just remove the drive shaft and you will be able to drive it that way. my cousin has been driving like that for a while.
newby_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
matt13421342
Garage is empty, add now

Any updates? I hope this doesn't happen to me.
matt13421342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:34 AM   #4
relica
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: (matt13421342)

Hey sorry for being so long replying.

I ended up getting my CRV towed to a garage. The wheather was just too bad to do anything anyways. The U joint let go at the front end of the shaft. However I then found out Honda requires an entire drive shaft to replace on the CRV. (something like 7-800 to buy) The mechanic had the parts made and it works fine now. Much better price!!!!!

I found the replacement U joints for it just afterwards. I think it was called Rockford or something in the States. They were very helpfull but I had the parts fixed by then.

Now I have to turn to a few new issues. Strong smell coming from the engine while driving. It smells like burnt oil. It's been getting worse over last number of weeks. I'm not sure where it's coming from but maybe there's a leak onto the exhaust.

relica is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
accord, crv, drive, driveshaft, front, honda, joint, joints, photos, pictures, propeller, rear, shaft, ujoint, universal