Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Coolant not flowing - Thermostat wont open - Overheating...

Old 04-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (hollums2k)

Unfortunately, I wont be able to work on it till next month. I had to leave the CRX at home since I had to get back to school. But as soon as get on it I'll let you know. Hopefully yours will be running good by then
Old 04-25-2008, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check your fuses?
Old 04-25-2008, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Coolant not flowing - Thermostat wont open - Overheating... (hollums2k)

this happened to me with my hatch i replaced the thermostats, drain the coolant, but then i realized that the radiator wasnt working so i rewired the radiator straight to my battery( kinda ghetto) and then everything was working i think its your radiator fan the wire
Old 04-25-2008, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Coolant not flowing - Thermostat wont open - Overheating... (thisandee)

yeah fuses are ok..the fan doesnt work unless i hot wire it but that shouldnt keep the thermo from opening up...i dunno i got a aluminum radiator that just came in that im gonna put in im just waiting on new hoses to get here. im not too worried about this problem right now anymore bc the five o is about to pull my license for another year so **** it.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coolant not flowing - Thermostat wont open - Overheating... (hollums2k)

Dude this is like exactly what is happening to me, we just replaced the thermostat yesterday and the temp sending unit sensor and the lower hose is cold (the one going to the thermo) and my car over heats, we were thinking its the waterpump and the water is not obviuosly not moving around, we are going to take the new thermo out saturday, now im sort of wondering if its one of the fan switches, either the thermo switch or the sensor switch next to the temp sending unit, if u get your car working straight with the new rad that would be good to know....hope u get it fixed...
Old 05-06-2008, 01:01 PM

Here was my problem... I hit the freeway ~1 mile into the drive and my engine begins to overheat and the heater is not helping much... Found out the thermostat was hella sticking. Went back to autozone and bought another one, 1 week later SAME ****!!!
Bottom hose is cold, thermo not opening!
DO NOT BUY THIS AUTOZONE GARBAGE!!! Buy a Honda one, I swear from now on I am buying Honda everything, F the rest!
Name:  thermo33.jpg
Views: 4222
Size:  74.9 KB
This is garbage!
Old 06-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slowassgsr)

well hollums2k...i finally have an update. even though its not going to help. my previous thermostat was from Autozone so I ordered one from Honda as well as an ECT switch. I installed both but no luck. My engine still overheats. An employee at Car Quest told me that it might have something to do with the heater hoses so I will switch them how he said and see how that works.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Intocable)

Ok hollums2k I finally got mine fixed. I switched the heater hose in the back with the return hose from the head (so that the return hose from the head was closer to the thermostat) and since I had noticed that my temp gauge would rise really fast I put one in from the junkyard (I was there and figured why not try it). The engine does not overheat now and runs just below 1/2 where it should be. I have not seen the fans turn on but since its not overheating i am not too worried about it.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just did an engine swap and i'm having the same problem here. I assume its a bad thermo, even though its new (not honda brand). The lower hose stays cool while the upper one is cooking. I'm guessing the fan isn't coming on because the ect switch is on the 'cool' side of the lame thermostat.

d
Old 08-28-2008, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (daver)

Head gasket, do a compression test and stop driving it until you do so! If the bottom rad hose is cold it means hottt coolant is circulating through the head which could potentially warp the head causing way more problems!

Good luck
Old 08-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Reject Papi

Default Re: (Mattb16teg)

man this thread is old.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jhammond_82)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jhammond_82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man this thread is old. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if it had started in 2002 or '03 i would have agreed with you...
Old 08-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not the head gasket, the compression sits at 200-205psi with my guage. I'm certainly not driving it. I just picked up the acura thermostat today and i'll post the results, otherwise these threads are useless to others.

everything points to thermostat as far as i can tell, i've had this b20 in two other integras and it always ran perfect.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea it could be. I went through 4 thermostats before I realized it was something else causing them not to open when I was driving the car. They would open fine while it was idling but I guess while driving the slight leak in the gasket would get worse and push more air in the coolant system.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my mothers civic is doing that now, every now and then the coolant reservoir is full of oil too.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well the good news is my overheating problem is fixed, the bad news is i'm a bonehead. The thermostat was fine, the problem was i had two coolant hoses switched. The heater hose coming out of the block and the loop thermo housing hose, i had reversed. I'm getting sloppy in my old age.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:18 PM

this is a OLD topic but i'm having the same issue!!!

thermostat i guess is working properly even i didn't test it out yet, Fans work when in operating temp, but with the radiator capp off it over flows with bunch off bubbles and i would keep on top it off with radiator fluid so now what??? car would run for abotu 30mins+ then right when motor is in operating temp the fan switchs onn and it would overflow. which i have a bigg funnel and bubbles would come? and spills all over the floor, air bubbles still left inside motor?
Old 09-30-2008, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lsxtreme81)

are you getting oil in your overflow reservoir during normal use?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:17 AM
I C U P

Something similar is happening to my buddy's gsr swapped 94 integra too. There was a cracked heater hose and it overheated, so we replaced the cracked hose and put in a new tstat (from autozone). The idle temp was fine (just below 1/2) but as soon as we drove the car it overheated again. So we turned the car off and popped the hood; rad fan- never turned on, radiator- cold, lower rad hose- cold, upper rad hose- cold. What could be the problem?
Oh yeah, and he doesn't get any heat either

Modified by NBPej1 at 12:49 PM 9/30/2008
Old 10-01-2008, 07:10 PM
I C U P

Bump cause he still can't drive his car
Old 04-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coolant not flowing - Thermostat wont open - Overheating...

Bump. Having the same issue. Has anyone figured this out?... Thanks.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know this is old ,but did anyone ever find out the problem on this im having about the same problem but mine dont overheat
Old 03-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bumppppp same problem ;(
Old 03-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

remove thermostat and hook up fan to turn on when car is started. thats what i always do. dont ave to worry about it not opening up. i got tired of my hoses busting on me.

also, didnt read anything. just giving my .2
Old 03-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I noticed my upper rad hose looked preggo a couple of weeks ago, the lower hose was cool. The next day, the engine almost overheated on a 2 hour trip... Replaced the hose and thermostat and now she runs cool.

Not once did the fan turn on though. Is this a common problem in our cars?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant not flowing - Thermostat wont open - Overheating...